First tractor purchase advice

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Forgot to mention, gravity is your friend when blowing snow on a hilly driveway. I blow snow going down the drive and come back up doing nothing, never had an issue with traction.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Tier 4 is a death trap. I have no problem with emissions control equipment on vehicles that are constantly in use. Such as trucks, construction equipment, etc.

But if you take into consideration the time that a average compact tractor owner uses their machines for annually (hour wise), this is where the emissions equipment takes it toll. In order for it to be most effective it needs to be regularly cycled. EGR can not be given time to have soot harden, same with the DPF filter. I think Kubota cycles every 8 hours, so say you are working your tractor 7 hours after your last regen, and you don't force a regen and completely forget about it until a month down the road when you got to use the tractor again....
I quite agree that an L 40 machine would be a nice find, and easier to keep repaired, but I don't think your description of the tier 4 dpf operation is generally correct. The only tractor with a programmed frequent cycle is the B3350 which has an odd treatment of exhaust gases that requires an auxilliary heater. The L tractors do not have this, and only regen when the dpf sensors indicate a need. Heat is generated within the engine by computer controlled injection of diesel late in the cycle. There is no means to force a regen. So far as I've read, no one has reported problems with the EGR except some things related to the freezing of water vapor. I don't disagree that this technology might cause problems down the road, just the mechanism.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I was under the impression that with a long driveway having the blower drag behind with clear unobstructed vision in front would be preferable.
It doesn't snow where I live, but my impression is that a rear mounted blower doesn't drag along behind. It means you have to reverse into the snow, and look over your shoulder the whole time. On a long driveway that's gonna start to hurt, it's bad enough using a box blade or something that you turn to look at regularly, staying constantly turned must be a right pain.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
It doesn't snow where I live, but my impression is that a rear mounted blower doesn't drag along behind. It means you have to reverse into the snow, and look over your shoulder the whole time. On a long driveway that's gonna start to hurt, it's bad enough using a box blade or something that you turn to look at regularly, staying constantly turned must be a right pain.
Hi Paul,

The blower is actually inverted so you drive forward not needing to look over your shoulder...but from the collective wisdom here I've more or less ruled out the rear mounted blower.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I might get torched for offering this educated piece of advice.

If you can, purchase a 40 series tractor. Something along the lines of a L5040.
You get the benefits of the new HST transmission with stall guard, etc. and the new style cab and tractor, but you do away with DPF filters, common rail injection, EGR, and 500% more sensors than previous Kubotas.

A L5040 engine will last your planned 25 years with regular maintenance. I do not think a L4060 will. I have a V-2403-CR motor here out of a L4060 with low hours and I already see issues with it early in its life.
CobraTom: interesting that you mention that as I've been doing more research and your opinion seems to be supported by others on various forums. Also, when I spoke with the dealer he told me there is a discount on some of the 60 series models because they're not moving off the lot. I am open to considering at an L40 series if I can find a good used one. Thanks for chiming in.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Not sure why you're seemingly stuck on wanting a blower, but I'd recommend a front mounted quick detach snowplow with a rear blade turned around backwards and angled the same direction as the front blade. Run with both blades down. The rear blade cleans up what the front blade leaves behind. Your road is over half a mile long, which is no joke. You'll be able to clear it in no time without messing up your gravel. Blowers are slow by comparison. There's a reason counties use snowplows with blades to clear roads and highways (which you technically have). A blower would take forever.

Get chains at least in the rear, but front helps too. Get ballast in the rear tires.

The rear plow will come in handy in the summer for cutting drainage ditches and building a crown in your roads.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Not sure why you're seemingly stuck on wanting a blower, but I'd recommend a front mounted quick detach snowplow with a rear blade turned around backwards and angled the same direction as the front blade. Run with both blades down. The rear blade cleans up what the front blade leaves behind. Your road is over half a mile long, which is no joke. You'll be able to clear it in no time without messing up your gravel. Blowers are slow by comparison. There's a reason counties use snowplows with blades to clear roads and highways (which you technically have). A blower would take forever.

Get chains at least in the rear, but front helps too. Get ballast in the rear tires.

The rear plow will come in handy in the summer for cutting drainage ditches and building a crown in your roads.
My thoughts for a blower are due to the amount of snowfall we can get in this part of the country and the fact that parts of my laneway are tight on the sides. Once that snow starts to build up I'm getting into serious banks with nowhere to push it. The thought of always being able to blow over snow banks is comforting. I'm not concerned about how long it takes to clear as I'll be retired with lots of time to get it done.

Chains and ballast for sure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It seems that right now Kubota is going through what Harley went through, where used was almost as much as new, and many dealers were if you dont want it someone else does!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It seems that right now Kubota is going through what Harley went through, where used was almost as much as new, and many dealers were if you dont want it someone else does!
Yep, that's a fact. I soon found out there was nothing cheap about a used tractor and if it was stay clear.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have 4 tire chains on it and a counter weight on my L3540. I it pretty hard to stop it. I don't think you need to load the tires.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I don't think you need to load the tires.
My general view is that loaded tyres are cheap and very safe - you always have extra weight. But the downside is that you always have extra weight - if you have any tasks at all that you don't want extra weight for (say, mowing the lawn, or hauling it on a trailer) then loaded tyres are a problem. Whereas a ballast box you can put on when you need it and take it off again when you don't.

It's easy enough to try without, then load the tyres if you need it.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
My general view is that loaded tyres are cheap and very safe - you always have extra weight. But the downside is that you always have extra weight - if you have any tasks at all that you don't want extra weight for (say, mowing the lawn, or hauling it on a trailer) then loaded tyres are a problem. Whereas a ballast box you can put on when you need it and take it off again when you don't.

It's easy enough to try without, then load the tyres if you need it.
My tractor will stay put on the property, the local Kubota dealer offers a mobile service so I don't see much need to take it anywhere. Since snow removal is the priority loading them is a given especially with the grade I have.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I might get torched for offering this educated piece of advice.

If you can, purchase a 40 series tractor. Something along the lines of a L5040.
You get the benefits of the new HST transmission with stall guard, etc. and the new style cab and tractor, but you do away with DPF filters, common rail injection, EGR, and 500% more sensors than previous Kubotas.

A L5040 engine will last your planned 25 years with regular maintenance. I do not think a L4060 will. I have a V-2403-CR motor here out of a L4060 with low hours and I already see issues with it early in its life.
I didn't know there were such differences emissions wise. How does this model get around the DPF and sensors?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just remember the bigger the tractor the bigger the implements which equals more money something you may want to keep in mind.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
After more research and seeing tons of videos of B series tractor and implement use on properties similar to mine I'm starting to think that a B series may be sufficient, maybe a B2650. Getting work done quickly isn't my priority so if I need to make a few extra passes with the blower or trips with gravel/dirt I don't mind, I'll have the time.

From what I've seen there isn't much the B series can't do for my requirements. I just didn't think initially they were as capable as I'm now discovering. A smaller tractor would also be more nimble in the woods which is my second priority after snow removal.