First tractor purchase advice

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Looking for a little advice and help with purchasing a tractor.

My application:

13 acre property
primarily hilly wood lot
1 km gravel driveway that needs to be plowed in winter/graded in summer

My first priority is snow removal and with the length of the driveway I'm leaning towards an inverted blower. I have some portions where the grade is 12-14 percent so I'm guessing I'll need chains and loaded tires. We're in southern Ontario and can get significant snowfall. I also will grade the driveway, clear brush, move gravel/dirt, lift logs for cutting firewood and prepare garden beds.

My thoughts are somewhere between a 35-50 HP tractor with inverted snow blower, FEL, box scraper and pallet forks.

The local dealer put a quote together for a new L4060 HST with cab, industrial tires with FEL (LA805), box scraper (Kubota 1572 fixed bar), pallet forks (Walco 2000 lb) and Normand N82 260 inverted blower. Total tax in around $56K.

This will be our retirement home for the next 25 yrs so it may be worth going new. I'd be prepared to go used but haven't really seen what I think I want/need.

I'd appreciate thoughts on HP range for my intended use and also on buying new vs used.

Thanks.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
I would stay with discounted new equipment. Around here in Texas, the used equipment is both high priced and sometimes can be poorly maintained.

Also, considering your hilly terrain, recommend the higher end of your HP range, between 50-55 HP. That 10-15HP increase will benefit you. Load those rear tires for Balance, Safety and traction.

Not much need for snow blowers here in Texas, but I lived in Buffalo for many years and quite familiar with the Lake effect snow storms. Have you considered a factory cab, with the heater. If your really looking at long term ownership of 25 years, that factory cab will make for a lot more joyful experience during November to April.

Last edited:

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I would stay with discounted new equipment. Around here in Texas, the used equipment is both high priced and sometimes can be poorly maintained.

Also, considering your hilly terrain, recommend the higher end of your HP range, between 50-55 HP. That 10-15HP increase will benefit you. Load those rear tires for Balance, Safety and traction.

Not much need for snow blowers here in Texas, but I lived in Buffalo for many years and quite familiar with the Lake effect snow storms. Have you considered a factory cab, with the heater. If your really looking at long term ownership of 25 years, that factory cab will make for a lot more joyful experience during November to April.
Going up a bit in HP is tempting, I'm sure I wouldn't regret it especially with the steep grade in winter. Wondering if the 40 HP is enough to operate blower going uphill?

Yes, I plan to load the tires. Also, after speaking with the dealer and looking around at used implements it does seem to make more sense to go with new.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Personally, I would forget the rear inverted snowblower and go for a front mounted blower. Going up steep hills you will go better cleaning the snow ahead of you instead of trying to drive in the snow dragging the snowblower especially if the snow is deep. Also, as you get older, like we all will, not having to look backwards to see where you are aiming the chute is a plus. I don’t know the cost difference, but over time the convenience factor of visibility can make up for cost. I would at least talk to your dealer about the cost so you can compare.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Definitely a big fan here of front-mounted blowers. After operating rear-mounted blowers for most of my life only my spare tractor has one - all the others are front mounted.

The recommendation for the heated factory cab is right on the money - glad to see your quote includes it.

While nobody wants to talk about it, 25 years from now you will be an old man. Buy the tractor now so you will learn how to use it before your brain turns to mush and your body turns to stone. I'm saying this as the son who took a nice Kubota up to his father's place and now watches his father struggling to get in the cab, and struggling to remember which lever does what. It's tough to watch... Must be so much tougher to experience first hand.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Allow me to chime in. I’d go for more hp if the budget allows. Weighted rear tires for sure, chains would be nice for the hilly drive in winter. Front mount blower for sure. I’d also get a rear blade. I have a quarter mile gravel drive with a fair grade and turns. With a gravel drive you will want to set the blower up as high off the gravel drive as you can get. Until the gravel freezes the blower will sink in even with wider shoes. I rotate the rear blade so the curve is facing away from the tractor and use it to clean up the little bit of snow that is left from the blower being set up higher. The combination blower blade does a nice job clearing snow on gravel. Hope this makes sense?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
My father has a L4330 with a cab for his 20 acres. 5 acres of grass and 15 of woods. Pretty dang close to the tractor you were quoted. No complaints whatsoever. He found the window sticker for it back from 2004.. $22.5 :D

90 inch finisher, 1100 lb box blade, 84 inch blade, loaded rear tires and FEL with quick attach. The cab does get in the way with trees at times, but that is about it. Forks also help with log handling.

If it's what you want, get it. If you settle for something less, you may end up being not happy and spending more in the long run anyways..

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had to go find that Normand N82 260 inverted blower on youtube. From my view point, it might be ok for a little bit of snow, but brother you have to power yourself through the snow BEFORE you can remove it. Just MHO, and like everyone else says a FSB would much better serve you. Other wise I think you have a fine set up going on there :D

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Going up a bit in HP is tempting, I'm sure I wouldn't regret it especially with the steep grade in winter. Wondering if the 40 HP is enough to operate blower going uphill?

Yes, I plan to load the tires. Also, after speaking with the dealer and looking around at used implements it does seem to make more sense to go with new.

Weight is king in snow removal, hp secondary. With the L4060 hst and 6 range transmission it is very easy to match speed to snow conditions. I have run my L4060 up some steep slopes while blowing, and traction is lost before power is an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Having close to the same situation I think you'll be fine with the L4060. Myself I have an L3560 grand and never found it lacking for power whether doing snow removal or ground work. I also agree with others that a front mounted blower is a must with that length of driveway. If you get the R4's price in a set of wheel spacers and a good set of chains. As this will be your first tractor always keep your bucket as low as possible when working and loaded tires and a ballast of some sort is great to have. Good luck with your decision and remember pic's are a must.;)

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I appreciate the comments and advice and am now seriously reconsidering the inverted blower and going front mounted. I was under the impression that with a long driveway having the blower drag behind with clear unobstructed vision in front would be preferable. From the sounds of everyone's comments and experience that's not the case. Glad I reached out for advice.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I struggled with buying new until I saw the cost of used equipment. It looks like good tractors and equipment hold their value so it is a decent investment, plus buying new you can get matched implements instead of trying to cobble together what you need. I started to pay cash but Kubota had a 0% 5 year deal and their discount for cash was negligible, hate to finance anything but this was basically free money. Smart choice on the cab and smart to get input before you spend 50K, get everything you want up front.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I struggled with buying new until I saw the cost of used equipment. It looks like good tractors and equipment hold their value so it is a decent investment, plus buying new you can get matched implements instead of trying to cobble together what you need. I started to pay cash but Kubota had a 0% 5 year deal and their discount for cash was negligible, hate to finance anything but this was basically free money. Smart choice on the cab and smart to get input before you spend 50K, get everything you want up front.
The more I look around online the more I tend to agree with you. These machines and implements do seem to hold their value.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It doesn’t matter which one. Once you get the equipment, it won’t snow at your property anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it doesn't snow where he is anymore well than the sea's have parted again. :D

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
The local dealer put a quote together for a new L4060 HST with cab, industrial tires with FEL (LA805), box scraper (Kubota 1572 fixed bar), pallet forks (Walco 2000 lb) and Normand N82 260 inverted blower. Total tax in around $56K.
I might get torched for offering this educated piece of advice.

If you can, purchase a 40 series tractor. Something along the lines of a L5040.
You get the benefits of the new HST transmission with stall guard, etc. and the new style cab and tractor, but you do away with DPF filters, common rail injection, EGR, and 500% more sensors than previous Kubotas.

A L5040 engine will last your planned 25 years with regular maintenance. I do not think a L4060 will. I have a V-2403-CR motor here out of a L4060 with low hours and I already see issues with it early in its life.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I might get torched for offering this educated piece of advice.
Tom - -

Don't think many will argue the point.

I think a few guys have said same thing for a few/couple years.... XX40's seem to sell strong due to the pre-Tier IV emissions, etc. I think D2Cat is a strong proponent of them, and I certainly respect his opinion also.

I think 'Cat has said the issue can be finding a good one that the owner will to part with, for all those reasons.

They do sound like a great alternative for the OP.

Good advice.

Last edited:

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
Tom - -

I think a couple guys have said a similar thing for a couple years.... XX40's seem to sell strong due to the pre-Tier IV emissions, etc. I think D2Cat is a strong proponent of them, and I certainly respect his opinion also.

They do sound like a great alternative. Good advice.
Tier 4 is a death trap. I have no problem with emissions control equipment on vehicles that are constantly in use. Such as trucks, construction equipment, etc.

But if you take into consideration the time that a average compact tractor owner uses their machines for annually (hour wise), this is where the emissions equipment takes it toll. In order for it to be most effective it needs to be regularly cycled. EGR can not be given time to have soot harden, same with the DPF filter. I think Kubota cycles every 8 hours, so say you are working your tractor 7 hours after your last regen, and you don't force a regen and completely forget about it until a month down the road when you got to use the tractor again....