Tire plug kits

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
Greetings everyone!
Although I have operated heavy equipment most of my life, I know nothing about tractors. However, I do own a MX 4700 4x4 fel, she has 153hrs on her. VERY satisfied thus far!
Anyway, we are building a cabin/house at the farm. Although, I look daily for nails and screws the risk of a tire puncture is high.
I want to buy a good tire plug kit to keep on hand. Any suggestions on a particular kit for my tractor?
It has ag tires if that matters.
Thanks in advance.

pak

Dec 30, 2016
NE, Wa.
I have a kit that has Safety Seal on the case. It has a heavy duty needle/replacement, hole sizer and plenty of plugs. I have had this for over 10 years. I've plugged car, light truck and tractor/trailer tires plus my little tractor tires. Would not be without this.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a huge fan of tire plug kits... Except on tractor tires!

They don't work worth a hoot and can do more damage installing them than they are worth.

Tractor tires flex too much on every rotation, they have a flexible carcass for traction, plugs don't hold up very well.

If you get a flat have a tire shop patch or patch/plug it.

Yes R4's will plug much better than R3's or R1's.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Like Wolfman said, best to have it patched from the inside. But, I'd still suggest a plug kit. It will hold well enough to get you finished for the day and back to a place to easily remove the wheel to take to the shop. I've had plugs that worked well for over a year and others that would still leak down overnight. I just treat them as a temporary fix until until they fail.

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
Like Wolfman said, best to have it patched from the inside. But, I'd still suggest a plug kit. It will hold well enough to get you finished for the day and back to a place to easily remove the wheel to take to the shop. I've had plugs that worked well for over a year and others that would still leak down overnight. I just treat them as a temporary fix until until they fail.
Thanks everyone for the info.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I have a used tractor and the tires are filled with???
If I get it patched from the inside will I be able to tell
what it was filled with??? I'm fairly new to tractors.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When I got the B7100 it had a carriage bolt through a tire. The tractor was in parts, the radiator was missing, head off. So I just figured they ran over a bolt and just left it.

When I broke the tire down the bolt had a washer and nut on the inside. That was their method of sealing the leak!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a used tractor and the tires are filled with???
If I get it patched from the inside will I be able to tell
what it was filled with??? I'm fairly new to tractors.
Yes, the tire place should be able to tell and refill it properly. ;)

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I got a flat on my front tire and I just went overkill and both plugged it and took the opportunity to dump 3/4 gallon of auto-puncture sealant into the tire at the same time. If the plug fails, the sealant will replace it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'm a huge fan of tire plug kits... Except on tractor tires!

They don't work worth a hoot and can do more damage installing them than they are worth.

Tractor tires flex too much on every rotation, they have a flexible carcass for traction, plugs don't hold up very well.

If you get a flat have a tire shop patch or patch/plug it.

Yes R4's will plug much better than R3's or R1's.
I'm the exact opposite. I have plugged tractor tires and had good results for years but will never plug a passenger car or truck tire. Nor will a reputable tire-dealer plug a road tire. The fabric of a tire is the strength while the rubber merely protects the fabric and the liner is what holds the air.
A plug can weaken the fabric of a belt/tread and that is why road tires should not be plugged. But a tractor tire does not typically have the same belted tread design and is why they flex to grab the ground... plugs can work there just fine. IMO and experience.

Never repair a road tire outside the tread area (sidewall for example) ...replace the tire. But a low-speed off road tire can sometimes be booted successfully in the sidewall area depending upon the purpose and extent of damage.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.