Do you think...

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
I got to have a tractor, do ya really. What about a mini excavator and a small dump trailer assuming a 60” ride on will take care of mowing tasks.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is this a rhetorical question or simply a statement?

I have two zero turns and a rider mower for grass detail. But they wont dig or haul things and I sure as shyt am not going back to a wheelbarrow and shovel!

Mini-Ex's are sweet for sure, but they are a one trick pony when it comes to landscaping tasks.

This IS a tractor forum after all...;)

The above was tongue in cheek by the way. :D

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It really depends what you're doing. You can make do for most things. Arguably a wheelbarrow and shovel, and a block and tackle, do most of what a tractor does. I don't like digging and moving things by hand.

If your tasks are mostly either pure mowing (for which a dedicated mowing machine like a zero turn will do better), or pure digging and lifting (which a mini excavator will do better), then sure.

For most people the digging is occasional. But there's lots of lifting and carrying of dirt or scrub or other stuff. So a front end loader (and ideally a grapple) is important. Then you either put a mower on your new tractor, or you have two machines. If you're looking at a small lawn tractor to mow, you'd be better with a BX. If you're looking at a zero turn, sure, that'll mow real well, but it doesn't do anything other than mow - even towing a trailer is a stretch.

A tractor is a jack of all trades. And for most people with a small block of land, and a financial controller that isn't inclined to approve multiple purchases of machinery, then a jack of all trades is exactly what you need.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Buying an excavator is like buying an electric drill. Very good at one thing.

A tractor is like buying an electric motor. Useless by itself. But many, many things can be attached to it to do various types of useful work.

Bruce

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
bcp, I like your analogies.

But to the OP, No you don't need a tractor. Lots of folks live without a tractor. When you really need one you won't have to ask any strangers! :D

Last edited:

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
I want an excavator but seems I can’t get around not having a tractor. Maybe I should explain my land. 170 acres, I don’t live on it but plan too, from the road it’s goes up on a 20 percent grade, I cleared 1.5 acres in which to build, I had the guy who had a 25 ton x dig two terraces, and dig a ditch on the high side for drainage, the bottom terrace will install the septic and fill with material that will drain, clay type material doesn’t drain so well. Keep traveling up the hill it evens off, I have 5 acres de stumped, another 5 was cut when I purchased it, I’m going to destump 3 of the other 5 acres. The remainder of the property is for trails and cutting stud wood and pulp which I will contract out. I may buy a small saw mill in the future to build a garage or shed, patios etc. I’ll want to dig ditches and build trails.

I’d like to have one machine, if two it will a tractor and a excavator. The stumps to pull I can break all the roots with the bx25d just can’t get out of the hole.

So if I upgrade the tractor it’s going to be a b26tlb or new to my thinking a l4701 with a bh92 backhoe which will be 10,000 more. I could go with the l3901 but I’d like the bh92 instead if the bh77. Funny the b26tlb backhoe is just as strong as the bh92 except the bh92 has a longer reach. The b26tlb or the l4701 with backhoe....the bh77 doesn’t seem to be worth it.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Billstr this has been asked and answered on your other thread at length. What answers didnt you get there?

Last edited: