Ratchet Rake for root clearing

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
Hello all,

I've done some searching on the forums but haven't seen a consistent answer so far. I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's used a ratchet rake to clear roots using a subcompact tractor. I've got a BX23S and about 1.5 acres of land that I had someone go through with a forestry mulcher to clear (before & after pictures below). Most of the stuff was <2" trees and brush, with a lot of viney undergrowth and climbing vines (potato vines I think?).

I've considered landscape rakes (don't "dig" very deep), box blade (some say the blades don't hold up well), scarifier/cultivators (expensive item that probably wouldn't be used once the land is clear), middle buster (one blade will take a good long while on 1.5 acres), and finally, the ratchet rake. My target budget is at/below $700.

My goal is to clear out the surface roots down to only 1"-2", which also rules out a scarifier/cultivator since I don't need to clean out 6"+ down. Most of the property will be seeing grass seed once I've got things cleaned up.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Have you looked at a piranha tooth bar? Similar to the rake you mentioned.

I would just use a box blade in your situation. It would remove the shallow roots and level off the dirt at the same time.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
correct...I think a box blade would do the trick for you. Pull out shallow roots and level off dirt.

Check out EA (everything attachments). They make some very nice well built box blades. Free shipping within 1000 mi too. I've been very happy with the BB i received from them.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
How big and tough are these roots? Are we sure a 1500 lb machine with multiple scarifiers in a BB is going to have enough force to dig them up? I guess if we are only going 1-2 inches down...but what if it is a bigger root just below the surface, or a small stump?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OP said trees were less than 2" in diameter (trunk) and brush. Can't imagine that being a problem at all. If it is, reduce the number of scarifiers that you have working. Pretty simple. :D

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I think your opening a can of worms! I think it will be very difficult to severe the roots 2" down. What is your ultimate goal? Looks like the forestry machine did a nice job.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Unfortunately, most of us only have one type of attachment for this type of work. I don't have a box blade or a Piranha bar, but I do have a Ratchet Rake, and I think it might work quite well for your application. You need the down-facing teeth to drag up the roots, which you can do either going forward or in reverse. You can drag the roots out into a pile, and then curl the bucket back all the way so the downward teeth are just touching the ground and push/rake the pile wherever you want to put it. Works slick.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
There are some larger stumps that I expect to find when I clean the mulch up, that will be dug out with the backhoe.

My ultimate goal is to clean up the area and grass seed on most if it, but I'll have random areas that I'm going to be doing some buildings (portable storage building and a garage).

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Unfortunately, most of us only have one type of attachment for this type of work. I don't have a box blade or a Piranha bar, but I do have a Ratchet Rake, and I think it might work quite well for your application. You need the down-facing teeth to drag up the roots, which you can do either going forward or in reverse. You can drag the roots out into a pile, and then curl the bucket back all the way so the downward teeth are just touching the ground and push/rake the pile wherever you want to put it. Works slick.
Kubota, that's the idea I was thinking with the ratchet rake as well.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
There are some larger stumps that I expect to find when I clean the mulch up, that will be dug out with the backhoe.

My ultimate goal is to clean up the area and grass seed on most if it, but I'll have random areas that I'm going to be doing some buildings (portable storage building and a garage).

Here's what I would do, run a dethatching rake to pick up all the loose stuff then seed it. If your ground is anything like mine it's full of nasty roots. When I had the guy in with the 50hp tractor with all the implements, he got it as good as he could. Then he said your best bet is to just cover it up because you just keep digging up more roots. That ratchet rack does look like a nice implement.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have a ratchet rake and for your need it will do exactly what you want. It will also level he soil at the same time. Added benefit is you will have nice little rows for seed. I have 23S and did my yard the same way you planned. Pull up RR on YouTube and there are some good examples.

frady2001

Nov 26, 2018
US
Pick up a subsoiler from TSC. For $160, you can't beat it for your application. I'm in the exact same situation as you and it works good.

I can tell you one bar is all you want. Good size roots or clumps will stop my 2650 in its tracks. My father in law bent the subsoiler beyond repair with the "when in doubt, accelerate" mindset, so take it nice and slow.

I also have a piranha bar and it is not well suited for pulling up roots without making a big mess.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I cleared a large area with a ratchet rake that was over run with saplings, pasture cedars and sumac. It worked well. I was able to up root and tear a lot of roots. It still left some in the ground. I was able to rough up and smooth soil for sewing pasture seed after I did the removal. I plan to spray the starts again this spring to finish them off if they come up from roots. With continued mowing it should keep them at bay.

I have also found the ratchet rake useful on my gravel drive.

lc12

Dec 23, 2017
US
I, too, have a Ratchet Rake on my L4701HST and love it..works great at uprooting the multifloral rose bushes and small cedars.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I have recently cleared land just like the original picture shows, but my ratchet rake is mounted on a 58 hp tractor with R4 tires. As far as the rake goes, it is great. I'll have to bow to those on a 23 hp unit as to how well it will drag the larger brush.