MX5800 for moving hay

mwr8724

Mar 23, 2015
Northeast MO, USA
Looking at getting a MX5800HST for moving round bales on the farm. Does anyone have any experience with this? Big round bales, likely 1500-1800lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
How high do you need to lift them? 1800 is a stout bale! 5x6 I am guessing?

The LA1065 loader is rated for 2200 lbs max height at the pins...but with bales you are usually quite a bit forward of them so it will be less.

If you need to stack 2 high, it may be an issue.

Also why pay for the extra HP if all you are doing is moving bales? The loader lift capacity is the same on the 48, 52, 58.

Also consider rear ballast (3 pt spear with a bale or rotary cutter or similar) to counter the weight out front. At 1800 lbs you are close to the max capacity and dont want it to be tipsy.

For those size bales, I would probably be looking a size up (M5660 or M6060). You get a heavier tractor and more lift capacity. We have bales around 1500 and are looking at a M7060 cab for this and mowing our 100 acres.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How high do you need to lift them? 1800 is a stout bale! 5x6 I am guessing?

The LA1065 loader is rated for 2200 lbs max height at the pins...but with bales you are usually quite a bit forward of them so it will be less.

If you need to stack 2 high, it may be an issue.

Also why pay for the extra HP if all you are doing is moving bales? The loader lift capacity is the same on the 48, 52, 58.

Also consider rear ballast (3 pt spear or something to counter the weight out front. At 1800 lbs you are close to the max capacity and dont want it to be tipsy.

For those size bales, I would probably be looking a size up (M5660 or M6060). You get a heavier tractor and more lift capacity.
I'd say a 4x6 at maximum density. Only one that I know of that makes a 5 wide round baler is JD and it's an an odd size.. Reason being is you can transport 4 wides x 2 on the road with no problem but 5 wide x 2 becomes a big problem because 120" wide is a permit load. I know someone who got a ticket for just that.

The MX5800 isn't enough tractor or loader for moving large rounds around, rear ballast or not. I wouldn't even consider high density 4 x 4's. Remember with a bale spear the bale weight is well outboard of the pivot point.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I'd say a 4x6 at maximum density. Only one that I know of that makes a 5 wide round baler is JD and it's an an odd size.. Reason being is you can transport 4 wides x 2 on the road with no problem but 5 wide x 2 becomes a big problem because 120" wide is a permit load. I know someone who got a ticket for just that.

The MX5800 isn't enough tractor or loader for moving large rounds around, rear ballast or not. I wouldn't even consider high density 4 x 4's. Remember with a bale spear the bale weight is well outboard of the pivot point.
All great points. Would you also recommend the M5660 or M6060 at a minimum?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm going by loader specs only. Here is my real world example...

I run only round bales on the hay ground I have so I'm moving them and storing them and loading them on gooseneck trailers and flat bed tractor trailers all the time in the summer.

I can run anything from a 4 x 4 to a 4 x 6 at any density I want to.

My M9 (what I usually use to seqester bales in the field will handle one on the front and one on the back in the 4 x 5 flavor but if I put the double penetrator on the front loader arms (ATI 2 pin QD), no way can I handle 2 bales on the front and one out back, just not enough loader. However, If I use the 105 which has a bigger loader, I can handle 3 at a time. I have to say, with 3 rounds on the tractor, it rides like a Cadillac in the field...

Having said that, I use the 9 to stack them in the barns and load them because it's a hydraulic shuttle and easier to get around in tight quarters with and when I stack / store them I never have a bale on the back, only the front and usually in 2wd.... and I lift them high. Usually a deck on a flat bed is 4 feet high and the second row will be about 10 feet for the bale spear to set the second row. You need a stable tractor with a relatively heavy mass because the Cg is high off the ground.

After almost 10 years of using both of them in the hay business, it's my opinion that from a safe operating standpoint, the smallest tractor I'd be comfortable with is a 90 horsepower FWA unit with cast wheel centers on the back at the very minimum. I'm not fond of ballast boxes and such because it's hanging out the back, waiting to run into something.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have to admit that I've made my M9 dance a few times and it makes your butt get real tight, real fast. Never did that with the 105 but usually the 105 stays hooked to the round baler. Something about lofting a rear wheel on one side with a big round on the spike out front that grabs your attention real quick like.:eek:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Hate to agree w/ flipper but the MX is a poor choice for hay handling as I own one, but it isn't used for farm functions. Just too lightly built.

We produce large sq bales, 3x4x8 and move them w/ the Lull, NH Skid steer or the Deere 5125r.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I have moved bales with my MX5200. Most have been 4x4 or 4x5.

I don't go through a lot, nine this winter I use a mix of round and small squares for my sheep.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have moved bales with my MX5200. Most have been 4x4 or 4x5.

I don't go through a lot, nine this winter I use a mix of round and small squares for my sheep.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I wish.... Last year I ran 600 rounds and kept 20 for my stock and sold the rest. I have one customer that takes everything I make. I call him when I'm done bailing and have the rounds lined up in the field. He brings in his goosenecks and flat beds and drops them for me to load. I load them up, he straps them down and hauls them away. Pays me at the end of the year, good as gold.

I spent years dealing with horsey people, the hay wasn't just so or they didn't have the money and would pay me in a week, week came and went and I had to chase them for the money. I used to run small squares, have a 575 NH high capacity square baler in the barn. Haven't used it in 4 years. Too labor intensive. Now it's all rounds with a new NH round baler, all computerized, Just like playing a video game.

My one customer owns his own rodeo company and raises bucking bulls and takes everything I make.

I fell into a pile of poop this time. Thank my lucky stars. I was about ready to hang up the hay business until I got hooked up with him. Now, it's easy street.

Got my eye on another tractor, a JD 90 horse FWA with cab. No loader. I'd like to have 3 tractors. That way I don't have to hook up hay tools. I can keep them on the same tractors all season. The 105 runs the round baler, the M9 runs the discbine and the JD would handle the rotary rake and tedder if I need it and the fertilizer spreader and possibly the sprayer if I have a leaf hopper issue.

I fertilize between cuts with 46 granulated urea and a foliar innoculant.

600 minus 20 for myself = 580 x 18 bucks a round, 10 grand in December. Nice Christmas present. I give him a deal because he actually pays me. 10 grand minus 1000 for fuel, net and maintenance, 9 clear for uncle Sam to tax...lol

Better than row cropping by a long shot with corn at $3.30 and beans in the dumper and I don't need a 175 grand combine and another 70 grand in vertical tillage equipment either. Nice thing is the tractors don't work very hard because there is no tillage involved. I very seldom use 4wd. My fields are flat and smooth.

For me, hay is a very stable commodity and with careful management I can run a field perpetually.

He delivers my 20 to the barn too.

I picked up an additional 20 acres of share crop land this fall. The owner gets half, I get half and we split the inputs right down the middle plus I get to keep my equipment in his barn in the summer (which is adjacent to my ground).

Wish this happened 10 years ago.

I get free tickets to his rodeo at the local fair....:)

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I need big equipment because I'm usually under the gun with the weather anyway. Least I don't need 300 horse fuel guzzling tractors, the M Series Kubota's are just fine. I'd like to have a new 135 horse Kubota but I don't like the tier 4 deal at all. My 2 are pre tier 4 emissions as well as the JD I have my eye on.

Learned rel quick about the Tier 4 final engines. Watched the guy down the road with his big JD in the field, derated and JD trying to fix it. Went on for a couple days until they brought out a loaner and flat bedded the other back to the dealer.

Not my thing at all and my pre-tier 4's are holding their value quite nicely if at some point I want to sell out.

I treat my tractors better than I treat my wife or so she says.....:eek:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Looking at getting a MX5800HST for moving round bales on the farm. Does anyone have any experience with this? Big round bales, likely 1500-1800lbs.

Thanks in advance!
I have an MX5800 and my farmer that baled my property left my share of 11 in the field. They were 5x6 very tightly wrapped bales. I could not pick up one without having one on the back for counterweight. They put a lot of load on the loader. I could pick up but once in the air, tilt function did not work with the weight. This was at +2200 RPM. The best way I moved them around was with the 3 pt spear on the back. Very capable there for sure. But as far as on the front it would make your butt pucker going through uneven terrain on the field. My best guess was the bales were +2000 lbs. Hope this helps. Other than that it has been great with any other tasks.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have an MX5800 and my farmer that baled my property left my share of 11 in the field. They were 5x6 very tightly wrapped bales. I could not pick up one without having one on the back for counterweight. They put a lot of load on the loader. I could pick up but once in the air, tilt function did not work with the weight. This was at +2200 RPM. The best way I moved them around was with the 3 pt spear on the back. Very capable there for sure. But as far as on the front it would make your butt pucker going through uneven terrain on the field. My best guess was the bales were +2000 lbs. Hope this helps. Other than that it has been great with any other tasks.
I have a MX5800 too and can move and double stack 2000# skids of wood bricks and pellets but like mentioned above it's at it's limit doing so without a substantial amount of counter weight on the 3 point. The MX5800 is a great machine for mowing and pushing snow around but a little light to be moving bales I'm sure.

majorwager

Equipment
Flipper,
This is the third post (I've read) wherein you debase and ridicule horse owners. There are likely a volume of members here who own horses and find your insults childish

The horse community represents a significant portion of the hobby farm community and folks such as TSC, RK, and many regional retailers devote large sections of their sales floor to attract the equine community.

In addition, many compact tractor sales, w/ specific implements and spreaders, are driven as a DIRECT result of horse ownership. Kubota has been and is a direct beneficiary of these dollars and would challenge your slanderous tone.

There are poor examples in every group, MD's, lawyers, Clergy, even hay farmers w/ unscrupulous practices.

So knock off the broad brush language as it is truly insulting.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, what's the density of the bales you're selling? They end up at 1000#, or are they lighter?
Depends on RM and how much hydraulic pressure I put on the density control cylinders. I have continuous readout for RM via a Delmhorst moisture meter with sensing shoes in the bale chamber. I like to roll in them so they are tight but not so tight they cannot breathe a bit. The tighter the roll (and the tighter the net wrap, the better they handle. Like I've said before, I never weighed them but I imagine around 1200 pounds average.

My benchmark size is a 55" diameter bale set electronically via the baler computer.

I use 48" net usually, but I'm thinking about switching to 52" over the edge net. Makes handling easier.

Worst thing for me is loading a new net roll in the baler, they are heavy. I run twine as a backup.my baler handles 4 balls of the high capacity twine. If for some reason the net fails to wrap, I switch to twine. Happens once in a while and no point in loosing a bale because it didn't wrap.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I need big equipment because I'm usually under the gun with the weather anyway. Least I don't need 300 horse fuel guzzling tractors, the M Series Kubota's are just fine. I'd like to have a new 135 horse Kubota but I don't like the tier 4 deal at all. My 2 are pre tier 4 emissions as well as the JD I have my eye on.

Learned rel quick about the Tier 4 final engines. Watched the guy down the road with his big JD in the field, derated and JD trying to fix it. Went on for a couple days until they brought out a loaner and flat bedded the other back to the dealer.

Not my thing at all and my pre-tier 4's are holding their value quite nicely if at some point I want to sell out.

I treat my tractors better than I treat my wife or so she says.....:eek:
None of your posts answer the question of the OP about using a MX5800 for moving hay bales. You need to stay on target and keep post in threads to what the thread is about and stop going on a rant about something that makes you feel good. Start your own threads.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I did. Post number 3. (if you bother to read the entire thread.), which you obviously did not.

majorwager

Equipment
BAP is correct,

Typically flipper's posts hijack the thread and ramble on about some substantially unrelated topic about him, his BIG Tractors, and his gloriously successful hay making endeavor.

Generally presume the topic is Me, Me, Me, Me

When challenged to stay on topic, he plays the " My Condition," pity me card.

He even goes far enough to wish others could contract his illness. That is simply demented behavior.

If everyone just posted nonsense replies in every thread, the OP would NEVER obtain ANY constructive response and member input.

The forum record for voluminous unrelated replies does Nothing to advance the reputation of this website as a meaningfull place to obtain solid and applicable answers to legitimate tractor related concerns.

Last edited: