Looking into a B2601...measurements needed!

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
Looking into buying a B2601 sometime in Feb/Mar. One of the prerequisites I have is that it needs to be able to run a brush hog (approx. 1.5 acres to brush hog), has to have a grass catcher, and it needs to fit inside my shed door opening without having to remove anything.

My shed opening is 70”H x 72”W. I am going to be getting a 54” MMM as I will be mowing approx 2 acres of grass. The question I can’t seem to get answered is what the total width of the mower with the grass catcher boot attached. I have come to find that the 54” MMM for the B2601 is 70” with the grass deflector down. The factory grass deflector extends 13” from the edge of the deck.

Appreciate any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No measurements for you. But on my BX I drilled a hole in the end of the grass deflector, and fitted a chain that I can use to pull it up. Allows me to drive my tractor into a narrower space, and is useful for some of my mowing tasks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not familiar with b series but might need measurements to top of the Rops too unless you fold it down everytime you park it.

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
Yeah...ROPS will need folded down...it’s 64” with it down

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you are mowing 2 acres of grass the 60” mower will be faster. Also it sticks out past your tires more making it easier mowing around landscape.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Agree, for two acres I’d definitely want a 60” deck and just pull up the grass chute when going through the shed doorway. But if he wants to be able to leave a grass catcher on while going through the doorway the 60” is out, I’m surprised it’ll even fit with a bagger system on a 54” actually.

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
Agree, for two acres I’d definitely want a 60” deck and just pull up the grass chute when going through the shed doorway. But if he wants to be able to leave a grass catcher on while going through the doorway the 60” is out, I’m surprised it’ll even fit with a bagger system on a 54” actually.

Yeah...that is what I’m trying to figure out (if a 54”+ grass catcher is over 72” wide) I know a 60” deck will fit if I pull the deflector up...but I REALLY want a bagger!

I think my initial estimate of mowable grass may have been generous...it’s more like 1.00-1.5 acres

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
but I REALLY want a bagger!
I thought I would, but with my BX I've been mulching. Well, not even mulching. I just discharge to the centre, and go round and round until there's a small pile at the end in the middle. I either go back and forth over that a few times till it's gone, or leave it half and hour to dry out a bit, then come back and go over it. Or lift the chute and just blow it around a bit. It really leaves very little mess, even on wet grass your feet don't pick up much at all, and only day of mowing.

I'd mow without for a while before getting a bagger. They're a real hassle to mess with. I mow more often to keep the clippings short/small - I'd rather mow twice as often but not have to get off the tractor to empty clippings. And mulching is better for the lawn.

I think my initial estimate of mowable grass may have been generous...it’s more like 1.00-1.5 acres
I'm mowing a bit less than an acre with a BX, and thinking of the B2601. I don't need one, but I want one. Which is fine.

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
Yeah...that is what I’m trying to figure out (if a 54”+ grass catcher is over 72” wide) I know a 60” deck will fit if I pull the deflector up...but I REALLY want a bagger!

I would strongly consider this as a mower instead. Cub Cadet ZForce steering wheel zero turn. I have one and the thing is a beast. Cuts like a dream and leaves pro stripes with a kit. Zero turn, won't tear up the grass, and is stable on slopes due to the steering wheel. You might actually save money if you don't have to purchase the deck and whatnot for the B2601. I have a B2601, but I don't mow with it so my opinion might not hold water. Just throwing it out there.

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I mow around 2-3 acres with my B2320. I certainly didn't need a mower this big but here in the Ozarks the ground is very rough. I needed something with a larger wheel size to smooth out the ride. Plus the fel, box blade and 3 point mower do a good job with the B. If my yard was smooth I would have probably ly gone with a BX. Plus with the finish mower there is a rear discharge across the entire width.
This eliminates the need for a grass catcher because it distributes the grass quite evenly...as long as you don't let it get too out of hand.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Need is a nebulous concept. I don't need most of the stuff I have. In our household there's a hierarchy of power words:
  • want - I really want a B2601 (this is true)
  • need - I really need a B2601 (this isn't true, the BX I have does everything I need)
  • deserve - I really deserve a B2601 (this is clearly true, I've been a good boy all year)

As someone on this very forum pointed out to me, lots of people have cars they don't need, that go way faster they could ever use, or trucks that carry far more than they'll ever need. Nobody blinks at that. No reason not to have the tractor you deserve.

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
Need is a nebulous concept. I don't need most of the stuff I have. In our household there's a hierarchy of power words:

• need - I really need a B2601 (this isn't true, the BX I have does everything I need)
  • deserve - I really deserve a B2601 (this is clearly true, I've been a good boy all year)

As someone on this very forum pointed out to me, lots of people have cars they don't need, that go way faster they could ever use, or trucks that carry far more than they'll ever need. Nobody blinks at that. No reason not to have the tractor you deserve.

Yes...I am going on the premise that “you can’t really have too much tractor”...the areas I need to mow aren’t very tight...the only place where size will be an issue is getting it into my shed! I refuse to let it sit outside!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Sounds to me like the problem here is the shed.
Buy and fix is the solution.
Buy the tractor. :)
Fix the shed! :D

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Not to hijack, but I'd be posting a pretty similar thread title.

Anyone know the length of a B2601 with FEL and backhoe? I'm looking at maybe selling my BX23 in the next year and upgrading to a B2601, but wondering if my 16' landscape trailer will fit it. I would guess it probably would if I swung the backhoe to the side.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I would strongly consider this as a mower instead. Cub Cadet ZForce steering wheel zero turn. I have one and the thing is a beast. Cuts like a dream and leaves pro stripes with a kit. Zero turn, won't tear up the grass, and is stable on slopes due to the steering wheel. You might actually save money if you don't have to purchase the deck and whatnot for the B2601. I have a B2601, but I don't mow with it so my opinion might not hold water. Just throwing it out there.
I bought the same exact mower and sold my MMM right after. The zero turn is 8" LESS wide but cut's in half the time. I got the one with the steering wheel for two reasons: 1 - Like you said it's insanely stable on sidehills and 2, so I would have a free hand for beer. Couldn't be happier with it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

Now there's some logic I can follow:D

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I bought the same exact mower and sold my MMM right after. The zero turn is 8" LESS wide but cut's in half the time. I got the one with the steering wheel for two reasons: 1 - Like you said it's insanely stable on sidehills and 2, so I would have a free hand for beer. Couldn't be happier with it.
I may be the oddball (my wife will agree), but I actually feel more stable with the 2 handled ZT than with the wheel. I tried both, thinking I'd like the steering wheel better, but didn't. With just a little practice it too can be handled with one hand, leaving the other for hydration control ; )

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Not to hijack, but I'd be posting a pretty similar thread title.

Anyone know the length of a B2601 with FEL and backhoe? I'm looking at maybe selling my BX23 in the next year and upgrading to a B2601, but wondering if my 16' landscape trailer will fit it. I would guess it probably would if I swung the backhoe to the side.
It will fit, but it's not optimal. I have to do the same with mine (B2650 with BH). I had to add some 2x's to the decking where the rear wheels sit in order to get enough height for the bucket to clear the side rails of the trailer.