Filled Tires

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I purchased a used L3130, the rear tires are filled but I can't tell with what. When I used it this past week in cold weather it felt like the liquid was partially frozen. What is the best way to determine what they used?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Your tongue:
Nothing - water
Salty - CaCl2
Sweet - beet juice
Anti-freeze - spit it out!

As far as the concentration goes, if your tires are freezing it’s the wrong mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
Your tongue:
Nothing - water
Salty - CaCl2
Sweet - beet juice
Anti-freeze - spit it out!

As far as the concentration goes, if your tires are freezing it’s the wrong mix.

That’s science right there.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Before you actually do the taste test, you might let some of the fluid out in a small container and be able to determine the product by the color.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Since it wasn’t mentioned in the taste test above... windshield washer fluid is another possibility.

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
What’s washer fluid taste like?

Sorry OP I just couldn’t resist. The idea about pouring some out into a container is spot on. Don’t bother tasting it if it’s green ;)

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I just got a few drops out of the valve stem to see what the liquid is, do I need to get out more than a few drops to make sure?. Based on the few drops I believe it is water. If it is water what is the best way to drain, I assume valve stem on bottom and take out the valve stem also have to wait for warm weather to make sure is not partially frozen. Blow tire back up to drive either forward or backward to move valve stem to top of wheel. What is the best way to fill and with what liquid?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
to drain, yes valve at 6 O'clock though you need some way of getting pressure inside the tire..OHHHHHHHH and before you start jack your tractor up,,IE removing tractor weight off the tire. if you use your air inflator pump air in then move out the way water will squirt out eh valve,,did I mention to remove the valve stem first AFTER JACKING up the tractor. If you have a tractor or farm store close you might be able to find an attachment for filling the tire I would think it would work for letting it empty as well.. Remember you need to equalize the pressure inside to whats out side, if not then it creates a vacuum inside the tire and nada happens

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I drained a sufficient amount of liquid out of the wheel into a jar and placed into a freezer. It is definitely water, it froze in a couple of hours. I need to drain all of the water out without having to break the seal between tire and wheel. Is there a hose small enough to slide through the valve stem to drain the water that is below the valve stem? This will be a job that will be done in the spring when it warms up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If it's cold enough you don't feel like working on draining the water, it's probably cold enough to freeze the water!

Not sure how you would get the last bit of water out. Would need some way to create a vacuum, but you could drain all you can and add some windshield washer fluid rated at -20, at least for some protection from freezing.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
To determine what the tire is filled with... drain three samples into separate bowls. Place one bowl in front of your neighbors cat, one bowl in the freezer, and one bowl pour onto your wife's geraniums. If it kills the cat it's probably antifreeze. If it makes the cat blind it's methanol. If it kills the geraniums it's chloride. If it doesn't freeze ….SUCCESS! It's vodka!

Seriously.... my dealer says (down here in Central Texas) to fill them with plain water but to do so all the way above the top of the rim so air cannot cause the rims to rust internally. My question is: Will that really preserve the rims long enough for them to last for my great-grandchildren? I'm worried that replacements will not be available in the future. (1996 M4700DT)

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
To determine what the tire is filled with... drain three samples into separate bowls. Place one bowl in front of your neighbors cat, one bowl in the freezer, and one bowl pour onto your wife's geraniums. If it kills the cat it's probably antifreeze. If it makes the cat blind it's methanol. If it kills the geraniums it's chloride. If it doesn't freeze ….SUCCESS! It's vodka!

Seriously.... my dealer says (down here in Central Texas) to fill them with plain water but to do so all the way above the top of the rim so air cannot cause the rims to rust internally. My question is: Will that really preserve the rims long enough for them to last for my great-grandchildren? I'm worried that replacements will not be available in the future. (1996 M4700DT)
They will rust, if you don't use something that has a rust inhibitor in it. Place a piece of steel into a pan of water, and make sure that it is totally submerged. Check on it in a week, and you will see that it has rusted. I know that some people use windshield washer fluid, and I am not certain that it will not cause rust. My tires are filled with Rim Guard, and it is a form of molasses, from what the dealer told me when I purchased the tractor.