settling estate - determining value of L295DT

aribert

Equipment
L295DT
Dec 10, 2018
Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Greetings all:

First post. I am preparing to sell my late father's L295DT on behalf of my mother and I am trying to get a feel for its resale value. I understand that the tractor's value might vary geographically. Tractor is located in suburban Houston area. My plan is to bundle the tractor and its implements and allowing the prospective buyer to negotiate what implements they want and then sell off the remaining implements separately. I'm presuming that I will list it on Craigslist - other suggestions? I intend to attach each implement and take a video of its function and have a link to the video in the Craigslist add.

L295DT, 1692 hrs, my father bought it around '83 (as a dealer repo). Grille is missing, engine cover is loose. Paint faded but not rusty. Not sure how to properly shut off the engine - I used the compression release - might have a shut off issue. My mother mentioned that the tractor had a hydraulic leak and the case needed to be split to repair. No idea if this service ever happened but there was no noticeable oil stain under the tractor.
Kubota loader
Kubota backhoe, Backhoe has a hydraulic leak, backhoe has been idle for about 8 to 10 years and the slab the backhoe is sitting on has a 6 ft dia oil stain.
Brush Hog brand post hole digger w/ 6 and 12 inch dia augers
6 ft rear blade
IMCO rear scoop (don't think it has much value, left over implement from the prior 8N)
14 ft double axle trailer (w/ mobile home axles)

Last edited:

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Sorry for your loss. Others on here will have an idea on pricing, I don’t. The one thing I would do is make it a package deal all or none unless someone already wanting one of the implements b4 u try selling the rest. If u are trying to get it outta the yard, it may be harder to do piece by piece than as a package deal

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Call a local dealer, you have 2 close by. Carelton Farm Supply in Carleton, Michigan south of Detroit and Reichelman in Pickney. They will tell you what it's worth.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Got me interested already lol, and I’m not all that far away. No need for the scoop or the trailer. I have no idea of the value. Make a few more posts so you can add pictures,then add pictures and you will probably get better answers.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Call a local dealer, you have 2 close by. Carelton Farm Supply in Carleton, Michigan south of Detroit and Reichelman in Pickney. They will tell you what it's worth.
I’m assuming the tractor is in Houston Texas area from his post,prices may vary between there and what his signituare says in Michigan. I’m about 3 1/2 hrs from Houston Texas.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Asking most dealers for a price on a tractor of that vintage and the answer you get....well, just don't ask!

I asked a dealer a similar question about a B6100 a few years back and was told, "We get those in all the time. They're worth about $600." I told him to take down my phone number and call me next time one comes in. I've never heard from him!!

I'd say for the best idea is go to the location of the machine, and look on CL to see what others are asking for the older L tractors. Remember the asking and selling price vary.

I'd guess the hyd. leak your mother referred to was on the backhoe. And a tablespoon of oil on concrete looks like a quart spill!

Post picture here and list it on the Buy, Sell on this forum. There are a few Orange addicts here!!:D

Sorry for your loss.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Must be located in Houston, Texas! Does not appear to be a Houston in Michigan.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Sorry for your loss.
Not sure if you want to get too involved yourself but you can always look at Tractorhouse.com and get some kind of ball park number. Any dealer who will buy it from you will be reselling it for more, even if they part it out. Obviously the more you can put together and show working the better off you are.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I can tell you around here that package would sell in a day for at least the equivalent of $10,000USD. Not sure what prices are in Houston, but I'd think with all that you'd get significantly more, especially if you sell it bit by bit.

aribert

Equipment
L295DT
Dec 10, 2018
Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes the tractor is just northwest of Houston, TX. And yes, Craigslist would be my first go to to list it, but was wondering about other places to list. I intend to do a bit of yard/field work when I get back to Houston after Christmas before listing the tractor and intend to take pics and video of it in use. Besides, aside from starting and driving it out of its storage place (so that the flat bed wrecker could access it) and then after unloading, driving it into the shed back at home, I had never operated this tractor - doing a bit of dirt work will be fun plus should help in making videos showing the attachments at work. I plan to start looking at Craigslist postings in the region - maybe in a 150 or so mile circle from its ZIP.

I forgot to list the single throw plow - also will be included in the package. Homely looking but functional - my father only liked a single throw plow (where the dirt was thrown into the previous furrow). He could not find such a plow that he liked so he bought an antique horse drawn plow, hacked off most of the structure and built up a 3-pt attachment for it.

Interesting (to me) side note - you know your getting old when the tow truck driver, that transports your tractor, is the great grandson of your third grade teacher!

aribert

Equipment
L295DT
Dec 10, 2018
Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Asking most dealers for a price on a tractor of that vintage and the answer you get....well, just don't ask!

...I'd say for the best idea is go to the location of the machine, and look on CL to see what others are asking for the older L tractors. Remember the asking and selling price vary.

I'd guess the hyd. leak your mother referred to was on the backhoe. And a tablespoon of oil on concrete looks like a quart spill!

Post picture here and list it on the Buy, Sell on this forum....
All:

While down in Houston the past 10 days, I put a few hours of use on the tractor. Now at 1701 hrs, hr meter is still functioning. Engine starts easily (at 50F amb temp), does not smoke at start up and does not smoke when rev'd up or under load.

Tractor is missing the grille and a small insert in the HL panel. (I found the headlight panel).

There are some hyd seal issues. The FEL cyl are damp at the rod seal with a few drops overnight. The PS asm leaks at the steering input (6 inch spot on concrete overnight). The backhoe has much greater seal issues. The BH boom lift/lower cyl, the boom extend/retract cyl and the swing cyl have very serious leakage issues. The BH drained out 2 gal of UTF in about an hour of use (getting progressively worse in the hour I used it). So the BH is basically non usable until the 3 cylinders are rebuilt. The chrome on the cyl rods is excellent. Would replacing the seals on the 3 worst cyl on the backhoe greatly improve the sale price (its about my time, not the cost of the seals).

I used SearchTempest to search Craigslist within 250 miles. Very little that is a comparison. On the low side only 22hp, 2wd, no FEL for a $3.5K ask https://lafayette.craigslist.org/grd/d/sunset-tractor-for-sale/6758681937.html __ similar size, about 17 yrs newer, 500 hrs $12K ask https://austin.craigslist.org/grd/d/lockhart-tractor-kubota-l2800/6761267938.html __ I am surprised how low the ask for this one is: 2001 vintage, 32 HP, HST, good paint, 900 hrs for $12.5 ask https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/d/kubota-l3010-hst-32-hp-4x4-tractor/6776918655.html

Will also include a 5 ft blade and a very ugly single throw plow. I have already sold the post hole digger and intend to sell the trailer separately.

Is $7K a reasonable ask? Too high or would I be giving the tractor away at that price? I'll also list it here on the For Sale page once I am ready to sell. I'll be back in Houston mid March for 3 days - hopefully the ground will be more dry as I have a bit more blade work to do to level dirt that I moved on this trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
All:
Would replacing the seals on the 3 worst cyl on the backhoe greatly improve the sale price (its about my time, not the cost of the seals).
I have no great insight, but if it were me buying it'd make a difference to me. Looking at it I might think "that just needs some seals" but I wouldn't be sure. I'd mark the price down a bit. Whereas if it was in tip top condition because it had new seals in it, then I wouldn't have to guess. How much really? If it were me buying, maybe $500 difference? Because worst case I could probably get second hand cylinders for $500 somewhere. So I guess the question is what your time's worth.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
That's a nice little setup, and the tractor and FEL alone would be over $7k in this area, with another $2500 for the backhoe in that condition. Blades and plows are $350-$750. Someone buying the whole works would expect a discount but $9k would be very reasonable IMHO

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Here's another tractor for comparison. It's a bit newer, but looks like it been "rode hard and put to bed wet" a few times! It's also NOT a Kubota loader, which effects prices.

I'd suggest selling the tractor (of course with the hoe) and the brush mower and rear blade as a unit. A tractor has more value to someone when it can "do" something specific for them right away when they get it home.

The rear scoop isn't worth much, $100 tops (unless it's a newer reversible model). Sell the trailer separate, after the tractor is sold. The tractor buyer may have an interest in the trailer, so let the tractor buyer have first refusal on the trailer.

The trailer ought to bring $1000-$1200 if the deck is in good condition. It's got mobile home axles which detract some from it's value.

https://fayar.craigslist.org/grd/d/rogers-kubota-lhp-with-backhoe/6781352468.html

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Love the reference to the single furrow plow. My newest B7510 came with one very much like you described. I wasn't impressed until I put it into the dirt. WOW! It's perfectly matched to the tractor and fairly sings through the soil. It's homemade and ugly but most likely the most satisfying plow I've ever used.

As far as value goes, I'm fully in step with D2Cat's comments, having had a similar experience with a dealer. They want to sell new equipment so stuff that's old and ratty has no appeal to them at all unless their brother-in-law is looking for exactly that same piece for a song.

Like D2Cat, I have a standing offer to my local dealer for a clean bare B7510 at the $3K price point he said mine was worth. You guessed it - my phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook!

aribert

Equipment
L295DT
Dec 10, 2018
Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Thank you for the replies. I am pleased that you think the value of the package is greater than $7K.

D2Cat: Is that really a reasonable price for the 2WD tractor you pointed to? I see that it has been on Craigslist for about 4 weeks (then again maybe it sold 3.5 weeks ago and the seller never took down the add - not like I called them). The add for the second tractor w/ the FEL has been deleted - presume sold.

There is no brush mower, my father sold it 15 years ago. So do I take the $9K and reduce it to say $8.5K?

I agree the scoop has no value when the tractor has a FEL. I did have it up on Craigslist (at $175) for 3 days with no bites. I'll lower the price next time I list it. The scoop is a legacy of the previous 8N.

Good point about keeping the trailer as a potential tractor package. I had it up on Craigslist for $700 and the one guy that showed up was looking for a trailer he could move by hand. I grew up with the trailer and never considered trying to lift it at the tongue by hand. IMG_20190103_164107[1].jpg I am guessing he was looking for a landscaper's trailer - even though the add stated that it was used to transport a 30hp tractor w/ FEL and backhoe.

NoJacketRequired: My father was unable to find a plow that he liked, so he bought an antique horse drawn plow, hacked of the structure that went forward to the horse(s) and welded up a 3-pt attachment using pcs of scrap angle - all steel was cut crudely with a torch - functional but hideous looking 3-pt. My father grew up as the child of hard scrabble German peasant farmers that plowed w/ a team of horses (until one of the horses was drafted during WW2 - no joke). Then they had to plow with a team consisting of a horse and an ox - I can only imagine how straight (or not) the furrows were with a mismatched team.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Aribert that L345 2 wheel drive may be a tad high since it has no loader and no attachments. That is a nice size powerful tractor and when the grass turns green it may very well sell at that price.

But then again, the CL mentality is "I was to pay less than it's listed for, no matter what" so I'd say the seller moves the price up a bit so he can move it down to make the buyer feel like he won! I think all used tractors sell a bit easier with an implement included with them, just my opinion... no evidence.

Your L295 with a backhoe will be a nice rig for a lot of folks because it's all setup ready to dig. No sub-frame to find and bolt up, no questions about will it fit on the tractor. Just be patient. You need to find someone who wants a backhoe for a specific project and doesn't want to buy a new tractor or rent a hoe.

Don't know about the Houston area, but around here, now is not the best time to try selling a tractor.