Loader Tractor correct tire orientation !

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Actually, when FWA or Front Wheel Assist first became a popular option on tractors, some manufacturers use to recommend turning the front wheels around so they were backwards to increase traction backing up in muddy conditions when loading things like manure spreaders in the field.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
Actually, when FWA or Front Wheel Assist first became a popular option on tractors, some manufacturers use to recommend turning the front wheels around so they were backwards to increase traction backing up in muddy conditions when loading things like manure spreaders in the field.
Congratulations you win a cigar !!!!!

and actually I did not know that !!!!

But I bought this tractor with like new tires on the front and wondered if there is a method to this supposed madness....

So after many hours of contemplation I come up with this line of reasoning:

When going forward with bucket sliding on ground or perhaps with some down pressure on the bucket ....you have more traction with the back tires than what you would have with the bucket up off of the ground.

So you fill your bucket with material and when you lift it you put more weight on the front tires and you take weight off of the back tires....

So front tires are now pulling more of the load when backing up so it would be logical to put the front tires on backwards since they are pulling more of the load than the rears.

It is somewhat of a compromise but makes sense to me.

:)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks Kabota. I believe what you said about compromise in traction is why manufacturers recommended it.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
Well actually depends on your unique situation....

Consider...

If you are excavating with your tractor and you are peeling off sod for instance you need a lot of traction going forward and not so much going backwards so..... having the tires put on the "right way" is going to be best in that situation.

So it is always a compromise.:)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Back where I grew up we had some wet years in the 80's and 90's. Some guys put their combine tires on backwards so that they could back out of whatever they drove into as long as they didn't push it.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I feel like every Kubota of that vintage that I've seen has had the "bowl facing in" on the front tires.

Does having them one way or the other have the same effects as wheel spacers on a car? With wheel spacers and back spacing can come unnecessary hub bearing wear.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I feel like every Kubota of that vintage that I've seen has had the "bowl facing in" on the front tires.

Does having them one way or the other have the same effects as wheel spacers on a car? With wheel spacers and back spacing can come unnecessary hub bearing wear.
Yes it would cause a lot of strain on the front end having the rims dished out!
So yes the rims are in the right orientation, it's just that someone has put them on the wrong side of the tractor! :p