3 Point Hitch Problem on a BX22

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Took my back hoe off my BX22 today, and installed the 3 point hitch. The arms will lift and lower, but as soon as I put the weight box onto the lower arms, the tractor was unable to lift the weight box. Never had a problem like this before. Both the loader and the backhoe were working fine prior to removal. The only thing that I did notice this summer, was that the mower deck was slow lifting. I have checked all hydraulic connections, and they are all properly connected. I have the valve under the seat open, and the mower arms set at "top". The hydraulic fluid is at the correct level on the dipstick, and I also pushed the RPM's to maximum, thinking that it might be a pressure problem. I am leaning towards something binding, but I can't find anything that is bent, or looks out of place. I was thinking that possibly sometime this summer, when mowing, that somehow the mower deck might have gotten bumped, but I don't see any damage to the deck that would indicate a traumatic injury to the lifting mechanism. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would rather plow with my weight bucket on the tractor, instead of having the backhoe installed for weight. thanks

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
Start simple check the fuild level. Also check the lever action for the 3 point.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Start simple check the fuild level. Also check the lever action for the 3 point.
Took my back hoe off my BX22 today, and installed the 3 point hitch. The arms will lift and lower, but as soon as I put the weight box onto the lower arms, the tractor was unable to lift the weight box. Never had a problem like this before. Both the loader and the backhoe were working fine prior to removal. The only thing that I did notice this summer, was that the mower deck was slow lifting. I have checked all hydraulic connections, and they are all properly connected. I have the valve under the seat open, and the mower arms set at "top". The hydraulic fluid is at the correct level on the dipstick, and I also pushed the RPM's to maximum, thinking that it might be a pressure problem. I am leaning towards something binding, but I can't find anything that is bent, or looks out of place. I was thinking that possibly sometime this summer, when mowing, that somehow the mower deck might have gotten bumped, but I don't see any damage to the deck that would indicate a traumatic injury to the lifting mechanism. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would rather plow with my weight bucket on the tractor, instead of having the backhoe installed for weight. thanks
I already have checked both, as I said in the original post.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I believe there is a "feed rod lever" adjustment on the right side. Not sure what it's specifically called hence the quotes.
Your close:
Feed back rod / linkage. :D

And yes that out of adjustment would cause the 3 point to act very weird! ;)

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA

I would check the relief valve for your 3 point hitch.. if the spring is weak then you won’t have any pressure for the 3 point hitch (I think). You said that both your mower deck and 3 point is effected but the rest of your hydrolics work fine right? Well the loader and backhoe work off of their own separate relief valve which is the bottom lower plug on the back of your transmission/diff. The top plug/valve should be the one for the 3 point hitch. I would check this.

Also might not hurt to have your hydrolic pressure checked with a gauge but I don’t think this will really tell you much .. just a thought.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong about the relief valve for the 3 point hitch..

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
PS. I doubt it’s the linkage.. if it were the linkage then you wouldn’t be able to pull the 3 point hitch up with out any weight on it.. if I read your post correctly you said you can pull up when there is no weight on it but when you put weight on the 3 point it won’t lift it correct? Well if that’s the case then I would have to assume your issue has to deal with hydrolic pressure and you not having enough of it to lift an implement.. or that your hydrolic pressure is being bled out too early by the relief valve causing you to not be able to lift anything once you put some weight on the 3 point, low hydraulic fluid can also cause these conditions .

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Fluid levels are spot on. I got under the tractor, and physically shook the MMM arms, and then pulled the lever back to raise them. I heard a large bang, and then I was able to get the MMM height adjustment knob to the "TOP" position. I haven't tried lifting anything with the 3 point arms, so I don't know if they are now working. Never had this problem before, and I think it might be related to the MMM hitting a rock and pushing it sideways. After that, it never would raise properly again. Didn't give much thought to it until I mounted the 3 point arms, and it wouldn't lift the weight box. After fiddling with the MMM arms, I can no longer pull the 3 point arms down. I am going to try the weight box again. If it still doesn't work, then I will have to let it go till the spring. Too cold to work on it in the winter.
Thanks for the help and please keep the suggestions coming.

I went out today, since it was warmer, and tried everything that I could think of to get the arms to lift the weight bucket. It was a no go. This is the first major issue that I have had since buying the tractor in 2004. I am wondering if when I hit the rock, that it might have shocked the hydraulics, and damaged the valve that NoBiffBetter

Last edited:

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD, KV-1, Oliver 88, MF35, '65 Gama Goat
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Rusty, I can't see your MMM lift being bent. I've wacked some heavy stuff with my mower deck with no issues. You have run the course of troubleshooting. No one likes to hear this, but sometimes you have to load it up for a trip to the dealer.:(

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I spoke to the tech at Messicks Tractor in PA, and it is his belief that the piston the moves the 3 point hitch has blown out its seals. It is hard to believe that the seals would have blown out, but I am keeping that as a possible solution. I am more inclined to pulling the check valve that was mentioned, and seeing if it might be stuck. That looks to be the easiest thing to check first. Problem with taking it to the dealer, is that there is a good chance that they won't know exactly what is the cause either, and they might start replacing parts until somehow it starts working. I have heard enough horror stories about dealerships and tractors that I am hesitant to go that route unless I have no other choice. Remember, that this is a 2005 machine, and that means that it is 14 years old. How many of the mechanics that work at Kubota dealership were there 14 years ago, and remember how to work on this tractor?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I broke down, and removed the cab, fenders & floor, and gave the tractor a good bath with the pressure washer. With everything exposed, I couldn't find anything wrong. I too the tractor to the local Kubota dealer, and left it with them last Wednesday. They called late Friday afternoon, saying that the tractor will now lift 400 pound in the weight box. Had them also check the pressures for the loader and backhoe, and they were 65 PSI lower than the lowest acceptable pressures by the service manual. They asked if I wanted to fix the problem, so I said OK. They ordered the shims, and said it should be done by next Thursday. I asked that they set it at the upper limit of the specification, which the service advisor was hesitant to do. I will see what it is like when I pick it up. Cost of the repair and raising the hydraulic pressure is between $350 - $450.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just wanted to post a follow up to the repair now that I have it back in my possession. In the end, they charged me just a hair over $400, and I was OK with that, knowing that their hourly rate was off the charts, although I never did ask exactly how much per hour they charge. The one thing that really ticked me off was the $20 transportation fee on the part. A bunch of small wafers that fit more than 350 different Kubota tractors. It should have been a stock item, and even if it wasn't, it took almost a week to get the part, so all I can assume is that the part came in on a stock order, and shouldn't have had the $20 transportation fee associated with it. When I order parts from Messicks, and it isn't in stock, they add it to the stock order, and when it comes in, they ship it to me at my expense, and all I am paying for is the part and the transportation to myself.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
One more follow up post on what was the root cause of the 3 point hitch not working. When I got the tractor back, I reinstalled the Curtis Cab, and the rear remotes (BX7322 Remote Valve Kit), which I removed prior to sending the tractor to the dealer for repair. Once I put the remote valve back on the tractor, and tried the 3 point hitch, I found that it wouldn't work. I also tried the remote valve to see if it was working, and learned that it had failed. I have since removed the valve and its piping, and the 3 point hitch once again works the way that it is supposed to.
I contacted Messicks looking for a repair kit for the Kubota remote valve BX7322, and they can't even find the valve assembly. I then contacted Kubota directly, and spoke to someone in customer service, and learned that the part had been discontinued, and that no service parts were available. At this point, the only choice that I have if I want to have a rear remote valve on the tractor is to purchase one from one of the hydraulic parts supplier.

Attachments