Mx4800 vs 5200

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I don't need the additional horsepower over the mx4800 for my application but the surrounding dealers don't have any 4800's in stock and seem to be pushing the 5200 anyway.

It may be a non-issue but I'm concerned about the addition of a turbo for longevity's sake. Does the turbo ever go bad? Any known issues? Are they bullet proof and I'm overthinking it?

I'm coming from a Ford 8N. Pretty sure I'll be happy either way.

Also, is it possible to add remote valve later on if I need one down the road? If so, is it something I can do myself and what are the costs either way?

Thanks in advance.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. This is a great forum with very knowledgeable people.

You have come to the right place as we love to spend other people's money.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't need the additional horsepower over the mx4800 for my application but the surrounding dealers don't have any 4800's in stock and seem to be pushing the 5200 anyway.

It may be a non-issue but I'm concerned about the addition of a turbo for longevity's sake. Does the turbo ever go bad? Any known issues? Are they bullet proof and I'm overthinking it?

Also, is it possible to add remote valve later on if I need one down the road? If so, is it something I can do myself and what are the costs either way?

Thanks in advance.
There are far less MX4800's being made that's why there is a better supply of MX5200's.

Yes a turbo can go bad just like any other part, but I have not seen or heard of a rash of them going bad, so I think your safe there, they are built pretty well. ;)

If you want a remote valve, I would suggest you get it when it's new, parts such as the remotes get harder to come by at later dates. Yes you can install it yourself down the line if you have the right mechanical aptitude, I can't say if that model is easy or hard, because they all vary, some are down right brutal to install. ;)

Going from a 8N to a MX is a huge leap forward!
I equate that to going from a VW to a porsche 936 turbo!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I did a bunch of research on turbos before my purchase, because I really need one at my altitude. The feedback I received is they are a non issue. Think of them like any other part on the tractor. Anything "can" go bad but probably never will. Turbos are quite pervasive in heavy machinery and tractors in the past few decades, so I would not worry about it.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
NIW offers sound advice. The Kubota rear remotes are quite expensive. I have a single on my MX. They are about $600 bucks after the sale and only available as a whole goods item. Labor Not Included.

It is sad because they have a history of leak-down (by-pass) on the MX and larger L's. But not aware of another source.

Negotiate this w/ dealer at sale. My turbo is a non-issue. If you purchase HST , adjustable rear lower links are included, a nice feature on the MX 5200.

Last edited:

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
I was reading the owner manual for another brand of tractor and found the below about their turbo. Every manufacturer might be different. If you narrow down what models interest you, download the manual from the website. Some are free. I think Kubota charges $10 to download. FWIW, turbo is common and proven tech in diesel technology; I wouldn't worry about it. I also find that the 5200 is the most common MX on dealer lots.

Before accelerating or working the tractor fitted with the turbocharger, allow the engine to idle at 1000 rpm for about 30 seconds to ensure that the turbocharger is correctly lubricated. Before stopping engine fitted with the turbocharger, allow the engine to idle at low rpm for several minutes. This allows the turbocharger and manifold to cool, preventing deformation of the components.

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for all the replies. I figured the turbo wouldn't be an issue. Just thought I'd ask.

As for the rear remote. Would it be cheaper to add one myself? I'm rather mechanically inclined so I think I could do it myself after some research.

Or is a factory installation the best choice?

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
I believe the rear remotes are almost exclusively installed by dealer to control costs. The exception would be a remote that is std equipment on the M series or some deluxe L's??. Some owners do not require RR's and won't pay for them.

As noted, the whole goods cost of a remote is $600 or so w/o labor !!.

The second position remote w/ float feature may be more??.

On my MX , remote installation is accessible and rather simple.

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I believe the rear remotes are almost exclusively installed by dealer to control costs. The exception would be a remote that is std equipment on the M series or some deluxe L's??. Some owners do not require RR's and won't pay for them.

As noted, the whole goods cost of a remote is $600 or so w/o labor !!.

The second position remote w/ float feature may be more??.

On my MX , remote installation is accessible and rather simple.
My dealer stated $500 for a single RR. If it would be $600 in parts alone I'm guessing it's a good deal.

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
I have a 5800. When I bought this I was looking in the HP range you where. I was going to order, and the dealer had the 5800 on the floor and gave me a deal I could not pass up. Not sure what you all want to do, but consider weight. I am really glad I had my back wheels filled. Usually you need more weight than HP. So don't get hung up on that. (I've never heard some say, I have to much HP!!!) I love my 5800, I will never have a smaller tractor. Probably one reason I feel this way is the frame size and turning radius on the MX still makes this a very practical unit working in the woods.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
So see, now that you know the turbo is a good option, you really should consider the big daddy MX5800. I think I paid a little over a grand over the cost of the 5200. Totally worth it IMHO. I've sure used that extra HP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Thanks in advance.
Yes, hydraulic remote valves can be added after purchase, and by the mechanically inclined owner.

I added a third FD remote to my M9960 today. I've never done it before on this tractor and spend about three hours total doing so.

It was straight forward on my 9960 ROPS but this is not always the case.

Generally, you are better off buying the valve(s) at initial purchase, as valve cost and (maybe) installation is negotiable. Not so after initial purchase.

SDT

Last edited: