Reputation System?

Mike777

Equipment
B7200 with Kubota Tiller 60" Land Pride Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2018
Michigan
I have noticed that there is not a way to rate posts or users (unless I am missing it). Some forum admins exclude this option for whatever reasons but imho it is a great feature as long as it is not abused. Limit abuse by allowing only positive feedback and no commenting, or as a VIP members only feature.

This will give users a feel for the experience level of other members, implementing a tiered structure reflecting the reputation, not just based on their post count.

<---------The rating level could be displayed in the user details on posts and on profiles.

It would be a fresh start for everyone, but I doubt if anyone would mind that.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
There is a thread rating, in the black banner just above the first post on a page. But not for posts. Im interested in seeing what the moderators say :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It would be a fresh start for everyone, but I doubt if anyone would mind that.
Easy to say for the member that has 16 posts. :rolleyes:

I've got 14,000 posts and I've earned every one of them.
Blood, Sweat, and Tears... Ok maybe not the blood and sweat, but a whole lot of Tears! :D

I don't disagree with your ideas, but I don't think our version of Vbulletin supports any of what you want to see happen.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
That's about 14 versions passed by.
You could say we're still running the Windows 3.11 of bulletin boards. :D
And as far as I know a lot more non paid members would have to pay for that to happen.

Last edited:

Mike777

Equipment
B7200 with Kubota Tiller 60" Land Pride Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2018
Michigan
Easy to say for the member that has 16 posts.
lol you are absolutely right. I don't mean to discount the hard work that anyone has put forth thus far. Just to clarify I do not mean a fresh start on post counts, rather the reputation system. A solution may be to give members with a certain minimum post count the top tier level of the reputation system. Hope that makes sense.

I dont want to overstep my bounds but as for the upgrade you could organize a fundraiser and I am sure the goal will be met if not exceeded. Seems like a great community here.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I dont want to overstep my bounds but as for the upgrade you could organize a fundraiser and I am sure the goal will be met if not exceeded. Seems like a great community here.
I'll pass it on to the higher ups! :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Not a huge fan of fancy rating syestems... esp. if they are tied to some sort of awards for it. Tends to promote bull shittars.

Now I would like to see a "THANK YOU", "Thumbs up", or "Like" button for post to go with the existing simple thread rating. This avoids unnecessary post (and band width/data storage etc.) with little more than a "thank you" in them... yet still provides for a simple back patting / job well done from peers.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm with coach on this, it is unnecessary and maybe unhelpful to rate users and posts. A quick thank you icon, to save space would be great.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
My issue with this is that everyone would soon know how ignorant I am!

Seriously, when someone posts a truly bad, or unsafe idea, those in the know quickly post a courteous reply correcting them. I am relatively new here but feel the site is mostly self-regulating with occasional help from one of the moderators.

Just my 2 cents.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I'm a moderator on a few other sites. Most have gone to a 'thumbs up' rating. No negative rating anymore (it got used for revenge). A member does see how many 'likes' they get but that is the extent of the reward.
There have been several members who have provided outstanding help to me and others and the only way I can thank them is by adding another post saying so. Seeing the number of likes is often a tell for knowing the person probably is proving sage information.
Some sites have a limit regarding giving the same person 'rep' all the time and you must 'spread it around' before you can rep the person again, unless you are a site mod or admin, then you have free reign.
This site (OTT) has a 99.99% quality and caring membership base. I doubt a rep system would be abused.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I think having any sort of likes or reputation system is just a “Feel Good” system for people who feel the need to be recognized. A Thank You icon or Smiley would be good, but most on here who offer help do it to be helpful and friendly, not to make themselves feel better.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I agree with Coach, Sheepfarmer, and BAP. I'm not here to rate anyone or be rated. I'm here to learn a few things and have some fun along the way.

Just another somebody's .02 cents.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
as a guy who runs a site with 32,000 members who post all the time & can get pissy with each other?

the reputation thing turns into a popularity contest or a pissing match against someone else every time.

the thread rating set up works much better & just a slight bit of participation on this site shows you "who" is gonna be helpful & who isnt.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Mike - why not just show appreciation by becoming a paid member?
Most here seem altruistic and generous with passing on their knowledge. I like that it is not a competition to be right , just to get it right in the end. Does that make sense?
:)

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I like the Forum just the way it is there is a lot of good people and information here. :)