Johnson Workhorse front end loader Model 14 (FEL, bucket, Bolens)

sportscarclinic

Equipment
B2150 w/LA350A and BT750 - B6000 w/S6000 - B7100 - B7200 w/B1630
Apr 11, 2017
Portland, OR
A year or two back I purchased this with a Bolens 1886 and a GT10. I don't know anything about Bolens tractors, I own three Kubotas. I thought that I would modify the loader to fit a B6000 that I own, so my son would have a small tractor to 'work' with me. It's also large enough to fit my B7100, and the specs compare to the B1630. But I had second thoughts once I discovered how rare it is to find one in this condition that is purpose built to fit a Bolens.

The loader and tractors were in a barn under cover, so apart from expected surface rust, everything was in great condition. I sold the tractors, but kept the loader. The loader is missing the front pins and the lower mounting beam (which looks in the manual/mounting instructions booklet that came with the loader like a simple angle iron that's been drilled as needed). I might be able to locate these parts from the guy that bought the tractors, but I won't make any promises. So assume that what you see is what you get. I'm including the manual which has good drawings and lists all the parts in case something needs to be fabricated.

The loader is a Workhorse Model 14 (nearly the same as Model 24). The specifications are posted on the booklet photo. It has v-belt driven pump that turns and feels like it's still pulling/pushing fluid, but I haven't tested it. The hydraulic lines were full of clear fluid, and all the cylinders are fully functional and tight. No obvious signs of any leaks on the spool valve or at the cylinder seals, or hoses. However, I did notice one pin hole leak in one of the steel hydraulic lines on running across the support above the bucket when I worked one of the bucket cylinders. Other than that, the hoses actually look pretty good, although there are a couple of gashes in the rubber covering here and there. The pins on the lift cylinders hardly show much wear at all, and all pin bores are tight, so I think it's safe to say the loader wasn't used much. The bucket was primed when I got it, and it does have a bit of rust scale and pitting from where scale was removed before priming. It's still really solid. Spool valve operates as expected and I had to have my son operate it so I could push the cylinders in and out the take the pictures. The cylinder rods are in great shape, no evidence of rust or wear in the seal travel zone on any of them. There is some surface rust outside on the ends near the pins as shown in the pictures. The loader frame looks rusted, but this is nothing but surface rust, it's obviously made of good quality steel. I could easily remove all of it, but I want the buyer to have the option to keep the old 'patina' on the loader intact, if that's appropriate to the project.

I'm going to consider offers at $1500. I'll likely post the loader to other sites, and advertise locally as well. I should be able to ship the loader on a pallet to your locale Fastenal, for under $200. Or, you are very welcome to come to Portland, OR and pick it up in person. conrad503(AT)gmail(dot)com is my email address, and that's the best way to contact me.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a Workhorse with a Johnson Loader on it. I bought it for fun and have been enjoying it. Go on the Workhorse collectors site it is Red Square and I'm sure you'll find so many people there that would snap it up in a second. Also, that manual is almost non existent! I'd love to have a copy, I have looked all over for any info on the loader but not successful.

Attachments

sportscarclinic

Equipment
B2150 w/LA350A and BT750 - B6000 w/S6000 - B7100 - B7200 w/B1630
Apr 11, 2017
Portland, OR
Thanks for the website referral. I'd be happy to make you a copy of the manual. PM me your mailing address.