Really slick cab heater, Jeggs

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
Building a cab for my L3000DT I used a maradyne 8000 heater my father had. A small square 28000 BTU steel cased hot water heater it performed well.

In need of another heater for a new buid, articulated tractor, I intended to buy another 8000 but was put off by the over 200.00 price.

After stalling for a couple weeks I purchased a different model from Jeggs. Also 28000 btu when it arrived found it to also be a Maradyne.

Could not be happier with it, comes with not only a three speed switch but a wiring harness. Wishing to use only outside air I was able to mount it to the outside of the back of the cab only the two three inch ducts enter in the cab. Very clean install.

No, do not have it operating yet but from the looks and feel of the product it is going to be top notch.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/706...MIjbn0kMz73wIVIhh9Ch3WBwlnEAQYCyABEgJ8g_D_BwE

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
This will be interesting to follow. Using 100 percent outside air should eliminate any condensation on the inside of the windows. What I can't guess at is how hot the discharged air might be. Engineers speak of "Delta T" with regard to heating coils - the difference in temperature of the entering and leaving air. There is a limit to the amount of temperature increase possible through any coil.

I suspect that when the outdoor temperature are very low, you may wish for some cab air recirculating possibilities. Maybe the discharge temps would be warmer at lower fan speeds due to more dwell time for the air in the fan box? Please keep us posted with your results.

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
Hello Chim. Gets pretty cold here in iowa, that being said my cars and trucks are never on re-circulate. Heater in my little L-3000 draws in only outside air.

Sub zero this next week, get a chance I will take a car on a test drive and try both ways and report back the difference. I hear what you are saying and makes sense, don't think the difference is as great as you would think though.

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
This will be interesting to follow. Using 100 percent outside air should eliminate any condensation on the inside of the windows. What I can't guess at is how hot the discharged air might be. Engineers speak of "Delta T" with regard to heating coils - the difference in temperature of the entering and leaving air. There is a limit to the amount of temperature increase possible through any coil.

I suspect that when the outdoor temperature are very low, you may wish for some cab air recirculating possibilities. Maybe the discharge temps would be warmer at lower fan speeds due to more dwell time for the air in the fan box? Please keep us posted with your results.
Took an old PT Cruiser of ours out this morning Chim. Outside temp right at 0 degrees. Car had been in a warm shop all night and driven twenty miles before any testing. Testing done at the center duct with four speed fan set on second position. Good heater, set on outside air it ran between 161 and 166 degrees. About as good as it gets.

Switching to inside air the temps went up about 5 to 7 degrees. I never measured inside air temp in the car but was pretty toasty. I would think the heater inlet temp had to be changing 65 degrees with the re-circulation door flipped.

Odd the difference would not be greater but we do a lot of heater work and testing, first time I have measured the difference between the two positions but consistent with what I have felt in the past.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I believe you'll find that when the recirc is switched off to bring fresh air into the cabin, most of the air passing through the heater is really still coming from within the cabin.

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
I believe you'll find that when the recirc is switched off to bring fresh air into the cabin, most of the air passing through the heater is really still coming from within the cabin.

Familiar with heaters as I work on cars for a living Chim. Been wrong on numerous occasions but I believe when you are on fresh air, it is all fresh.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Depends on the way that the heater is set up by the manufacturer. Some manufacturers, it is all recirculate, or all fresh air. Others allow for the door to blend some outside air with inside air.

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
Got the switch mounted and the wiring done, hooked up the heater hoses this morning and fired it up. Brought it out of a 40 degree shop and into sub zero temps. 150 degrees outlet temp. When I brought it back into the shop ran it a bit and the temps went up about 8 degrees. Very happy with the heater. Good unit.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Up here in the dead of winter, recirculating inside air causes windows to instantly fog. So its 100% outside air unless recirc is selected. Same goes with my 1980 dodge truck.
1965 barracuda also 100% outside air. So no, not even partial inside air is typically used.

Its awesome you can find aftermarket heaters that are so efficient. You will find that heater hoses register little difference in temp even with fan on high.
The water flow is sufficient to keep up even at idle.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Some auto companies use the A/C to remove moisture when the heat is set to recirculate. I think all use the A/C when the defrost is set to max. Jeff