Spend my money - New 40-50hp Tractor. Kubota vs Massey

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If size and weight are important, look at the L60 series. They are more capable per horsepower rating than the 01s, heavier frames and loaders. They also have a lot of useful features if you are going into a size with a dpf filter. Monitor for fill level so you know when it is going to regen.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My view (take with a grain of salt, I don't own a tractor this large):

• Don't worry about towing. You'll probably never put it on a trailer other than servicing, and your dealer will deliver and pick up for a bit of money - pocket change compared to having the wrong tractor. If your needs change and you need to frequently take it somewhere (frequently enough you can't borrow or rent a vehicle), then you'll need a bigger truck, if that ever happens just get a bigger truck
  • Don't worry about HP loss in the HST. You're already buying more HP than you need, you can afford to leak a few for convenience
  • HST v's shuttle comes down to usage. For the casual user, and for a lot of loader, driveway and snow work, HST I think is better - it's just easier to use and easier to get the speed you want. For ground engaging work at a constant speed with constant revs - tillers, plows, discs - a shuttle would probably be better. But doesn't really sound like you're doing much of that. Either will work though. SWMBO will probably prefer an HST, if that matters
  • Agree with ruling out MF. So far as I can tell their ownership changed, and they're now more a brand engineered thing than a genuine tractor manufacturer like Kubota. That's not necessarily bad, but I think it means many of their products haven't been refined for 30 years, they've been designed by some kid and contract manufactured or assembled from off the self parts. All the little details won't be quite as good as a Kubota because it's ultimately really first or second gen product, and it won't make you happy every day like a Kubota would
  • L3901 v's L4701, the 4701 comes with an LA765 loader, the 3901 with an LA525. 1 ton is about 1000kg, the model number is roughly kg of lift at the pins - for some reason the L series is the only Kubota brochure that doesn't specify lift capacity. Neither of them will lift a ton to full height, the LA765 is a lot closer than the LA525. If you need to move a 1 ton pallet (presumably a bit more than a ton including weight of pallet and of forks), I'd rule out the L3901. Unless you can (and want to) hand unload some bags first
  • The MX has an LA1065 loader. This has proper specs, and can lift 1000kg at the pins, 767kg 500mm forward. That's to full height, so depending on how high the truck that brings your pellets is, reasonable chance you could lift a ton. Definitely a lot closer than the L series
  • The L4760 has an LA1055 loader, that'll lift 809kg 500mm forward. That's also in the ballpark, but I suspect it's a lot more expensive tractor. Has some great features though

Bottom line, if you have to lift a ton of pellets, then the MX is the smallest Kubota that'll do it (and even then it's marginal). And if it were me, I'd get the HST.

Finally, watch your budget a bit. You'll need a lot of implements - at a minimum you need a quick attach bucket, a set of quick attach forks, some sort of counter weight (a heavy implement or a ballast box), a back blade for snow (that could be your counter weight), a box blade for gravel, maybe you need to load the tyres.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
I have a MX5800. I spent alot more time with rear attachments than I thought I would. So I think your time/use distribution might be aggressive in regards to bucket work. I have a trailer registered for 12K [trailer is rated higher] With the trailer, tractor, FEL, filled tires, and implement probably pretty close. Check out your truck CGVW [combined GVW] or what it can tow total weight. That should be a consideration. Again I'm right there with my F150 with the turbo 3.5. Honestly I rarely trailer over 20 miles and have no issues. My MX has plenty of power. I was concerned about the HST, but have had no issues, I have come to really like it. If you go that way and using your bucket to scoop, be in low range for sure. The one thing I think you might be close to is 1 ton on the FEL, assuming you would get a fork attachment. I have one, use it more than I thought I would. Can't believe how you can grab and move a huge brush pile. Have fun buying.
Also, live in northern WI, plenty of snow and can make quick work of it with a great back blade and the bucket. If you are thinking of a blower, better plan on a cab!!

Last edited:

Mich4x4

Equipment
None yet
Jan 16, 2019
Lapeer County Michigan
Thanks guys. Good info here.. Thanks @PaulL, your post was helpful.

Yeah.. I'm really on the fence with this.

I think I've convinced myself to get the hydro tractor regardless of what model I get. I'm also getting the loader and bucket, R4 tires and a remote out back. That's it.

The MX4800 vs L4701 comparison is really a moot point. The best dealer quote I have (15% below MSRP before taxes) proves there is only a $6.00 difference between monthly payments. Unless the added weight of the MX4800 is a problem, I see no real reason to save the $500.00 difference and buy the L4701. Plus, the 1065 Loader on the MX has a higher capacity.

So now I'm trying to decide if I need the MX4800 or if the L3901 will do. This is a terribly hard decision as there is a $6700.00 difference between the two ($80.00 per month). Is there anything, other than lifting more, that the MX4800 will do that the L3901 will not do? The MX4800 is bigger... The MX4800 is heavier... Is the MX4800 $6700.00 better?

hmmmmmmm... I'm so indecisive with this stuff!!!!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The L3901 loader lifts about half as much. So it comes down to how important unloading those pellets really is. I'd guess you're doing it a few times a year. If you have a second pallet, you lift it up with the tractor beside the full one, drag a few bags off onto the second pallet, lower it a bit, do a few more. Take that inside, come back and lift the remainder on the original pallet. It's not ideal, but if it's only a couple times a year then it'll be fine.

So then the only material difference I think you'll see is "working the fields". How real is that really for you, and how serious about it will you be? You only have about 7 acres, can't imagine you'll plow and disc every year. Which means it'll make no sense to actually buy those implements - you'll borrow or hire it out. If you borrow implements, you could just borrow the tractor that pulls them as well. If you hire it out it'll come with a tractor.

As with all these things, you're at the point where you need to decide if you're buying for things you might do, or for things you'll definitely do.

Of course, easy to say that to other people. Later this year I'm changing my BX into a B2601, and I have about 1 acre of flat ground that I mow. There's almost nothing that I do that the BX can't do, but I want a B2601 so I'm getting one. Arguably it'll pull the boat better, and a couple times a year I run out of lift on the 3ph with the BX.

Just be clear what your reason is. If you need the MX for some jobs you're actually going to do, then you need to buy it. If the L3901 won't do the job then no point in buying it. If you want the MX because it's a bigger more capable tractor and it makes you feel good - it's your money, and it's only $7K. You'll have it for 20 years, and I doubt you'll ever regret it. People spend $80 a month on things that are much less useful - hell, having that smaller truck is probably saving you more than $80 a month. If the tractor gives you more joy than the truck did, then that's money well spent.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Thanks guys. Good info here.. Thanks @PaulL, your post was helpful.

Yeah.. I'm really on the fence with this.

I think I've convinced myself to get the hydro tractor regardless of what model I get. I'm also getting the loader and bucket, R4 tires and a remote out back. That's it.

The MX4800 vs L4701 comparison is really a moot point. The best dealer quote I have (15% below MSRP before taxes) proves there is only a $6.00 difference between monthly payments. Unless the added weight of the MX4800 is a problem, I see no real reason to save the $500.00 difference and buy the L4701. Plus, the 1065 Loader on the MX has a higher capacity.

So now I'm trying to decide if I need the MX4800 or if the L3901 will do. This is a terribly hard decision as there is a $6700.00 difference between the two ($80.00 per month). Is there anything, other than lifting more, that the MX4800 will do that the L3901 will not do? The MX4800 is bigger... The MX4800 is heavier... Is the MX4800 $6700.00 better?

hmmmmmmm... I'm so indecisive with this stuff!!!!
I would check other dealers on your pricing. I do like the MX model line though. The L series is like a landscaper tractor and MX are more of a farm tractor in my opinion. You just need to think about exactly what your expectations are. We can spend your money but nobody can see into the future for you. I would test drive both models and see what you feel comfortable with. L is cat 1 and MX is cat 2. Ask the dealer to show you the differences and you will see how heavier the components are on the MX. Then you can ask yourself is that what you need for your needs. As others have stated unless your purchasing more than 7 acres the MX is much bigger sitting in your barn.

Last edited:

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
I was in the same situation about 2 years ago, not the Kubota vs MF deal.
I***8217;m on 16 acres, mostly old field and some woods, I have 2 old Farmalls but neither with a bucket. I wanted a diesel to bushog, maintain a gravel driveway and move 48 yards of dirt for a home shooting range. I started looking at a small tractor, and realized the bucket lift height wouldn***8217;t reach over the top of the berm wall. After reasearching the specs, I decided on a MX5200 gear drive. I had borrowed a HST green tractor from a neighbor and didn***8217;t like the extra noise and feel of reduced power.
As for moving the tractor I have a 12k utility trailer and a 3500 Duramax.
Tractor has done everything I have asked of it, very happy with my decision.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
the company I work for is a Agco/MF dealer in Florida, all I can say is run, they are not the most reliable pieces of equipment in the world, very cheaply made!!!! there big tractors in the 150hp and up range are decent because there a rebadged Fendt.

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
Hello,

MF is selling branded Isekis up to 50 hp or so,
Then some larger models are made in brezil, turkey or wherever,
The larger ag tractors are made in Beauvais france, with Sisu/Agco power engines,
Some have the Fendt Vario hydro-mech gear boxes, also called CVT, continously variable transmission, developped from hans marschall in the early 80 ies,
No MF is a badged Fendt,
Challengers are partially,
I had two badged MF tractors a Landini, MF 294 and a Uzel MF 420 from turkey.
They got sold because of fear of poor parts availability
But they were very good machines, especially the 420 was very manouvrabke, 3 cyl turbo very vivid and had a 8 speed shuttle gear box,
Synchronised shuttle is the optimum in gear box for most appliances as far as i can tell, except for mowing as you change directions a lot and want to maintain high engine revs

Regards

Robert

Mich4x4

Equipment
None yet
Jan 16, 2019
Lapeer County Michigan
Thanks for the opinions and advice. Headed to the dealer this morning and talked numbers face to face. Dealer was great, explained a lot to me, and gave me a very fair deal. Plus, he's local. When I buy, he will be getting my money and no one else..

I have shopped 4 Kubota dealers and 2 massey dealers. Massey is out of the running as they offer no incentive to use one of their financing programs. In fact, they punish you for it. To the tune of 4-5 grand vs kubotas +- 900.00. That's the difference between the "financed price" of the tractor, and the "cash price" for the tractor. Massey's financing is simply...very expensive.

I havent signed papers yet, but I will this coming week. Pretty sure I've settled on the following

MX 4800 DT
Synchro shuttle
1065 loader with QC bucket
R4 tires
Telescoping 3 point arm kit with pinned stabilizers (not standard on the MX4800)
2000 lb capacity forks

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If you are doing 60% loader work, you should strongly consider HST. Of course geared is better for ground engaging...but Sidecar is a farmer. You arent. Get on and demo both. Here is my issue with Shuttle loader work. With shuttle, 1 hand on loader control stick, 1 hand on either the shuttle shifter on the steering wheel OR the steering wheel to steer. This back and forth with the left hand gets annoying to me personally. With HST, you have 1 hand on wheel, 1 hand on loader control stick, and the foot for forward/back.

If all you are doing for major ground engaging is plowing a food plot, the HST will handle it no problem. Even for rear blade/box blade, HST is just fine.

If you are plowing acres and acres of fields, planting food crop (need exact seed placement), or maybe mowing a ton..then geared makes sense. For what you have indicated to me it doesnt. Just another thought. It is best for you to get on both of these machines and TEST it for yourself. Simulate how you would load/unload pallets, dirt, etc. You will quickly decide of a Shuttle shift will work for your needs.

You might also consider 3k capacity forks...no need to be right at the limit of what you are lifting.

Any need for rear remotes? Top and Tilt kit later? Implements that might require them? Best to get them now.

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase post pictures of your new tractor when it arrives. :)

Thanks for the opinions and advice. Headed to the dealer this morning and talked numbers face to face. Dealer was great, explained a lot to me, and gave me a very fair deal. Plus, he's local. When I buy, he will be getting my money and no one else..

I have shopped 4 Kubota dealers and 2 massey dealers. Massey is out of the running as they offer no incentive to use one of their financing programs. In fact, they punish you for it. To the tune of 4-5 grand vs kubotas +- 900.00. That's the difference between the "financed price" of the tractor, and the "cash price" for the tractor. Massey's financing is simply...very expensive.

I havent signed papers yet, but I will this coming week. Pretty sure I've settled on the following

MX 4800 DT
Synchro shuttle
1065 loader with QC bucket
R4 tires
Telescoping 3 point arm kit with pinned stabilizers (not standard on the MX4800)
2000 lb capacity forks

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If you are doing 60% loader work, you should strongly consider HST. Of course geared is better for ground engaging...but Sidecar is a farmer. You arent. Get on and demo both. Here is my issue with Shuttle loader work. With shuttle, 1 hand on loader control stick, 1 hand on either the shuttle shifter on the steering wheel OR the steering wheel to steer. This back and forth with the left hand gets annoying to me personally. With HST, you have 1 hand on wheel, 1 hand on loader control stick, and the foot for forward/back.

If all you are doing for major ground engaging is plowing a food plot, the HST will handle it no problem. Even for rear blade/box blade, HST is just fine.

If you are plowing acres and acres of fields, planting food crop (need exact seed placement), or maybe mowing a ton..then geared makes sense. For what you have indicated to me it doesnt. Just another thought. It is best for you to get on both of these machines and TEST it for yourself. Simulate how you would load/unload pallets, dirt, etc. You will quickly decide of a Shuttle shift will work for your needs.

You might also consider 3k capacity forks...no need to be right at the limit of what you are lifting.

Any need for rear remotes? Top and Tilt kit later? Implements that might require them? Best to get them now.
Very good advice Jchonline. Best of luck to you Mich4x4 and enjoy your new toy. Remember pictures are mandatory. ;)

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My view (take with a grain of salt, I don't own a tractor this large):

• Don't worry about towing. You'll probably never put it on a trailer other than servicing, and your dealer will deliver and pick up for a bit of money - pocket change compared to having the wrong tractor. If your needs change and you need to frequently take it somewhere (frequently enough you can't borrow or rent a vehicle), then you'll need a bigger truck, if that ever happens just get a bigger truck
  • Don't worry about HP loss in the HST. You're already buying more HP than you need, you can afford to leak a few for convenience
  • HST v's shuttle comes down to usage. For the casual user, and for a lot of loader, driveway and snow work, HST I think is better - it's just easier to use and easier to get the speed you want. For ground engaging work at a constant speed with constant revs - tillers, plows, discs - a shuttle would probably be better. But doesn't really sound like you're doing much of that. Either will work though. SWMBO will probably prefer an HST, if that matters
  • Agree with ruling out MF. So far as I can tell their ownership changed, and they're now more a brand engineered thing than a genuine tractor manufacturer like Kubota. That's not necessarily bad, but I think it means many of their products haven't been refined for 30 years, they've been designed by some kid and contract manufactured or assembled from off the self parts. All the little details won't be quite as good as a Kubota because it's ultimately really first or second gen product, and it won't make you happy every day like a Kubota would
  • L3901 v's L4701, the 4701 comes with an LA765 loader, the 3901 with an LA525. 1 ton is about 1000kg, the model number is roughly kg of lift at the pins - for some reason the L series is the only Kubota brochure that doesn't specify lift capacity. Neither of them will lift a ton to full height, the LA765 is a lot closer than the LA525. If you need to move a 1 ton pallet (presumably a bit more than a ton including weight of pallet and of forks), I'd rule out the L3901. Unless you can (and want to) hand unload some bags first
  • The MX has an LA1065 loader. This has proper specs, and can lift 1000kg at the pins, 767kg 500mm forward. That's to full height, so depending on how high the truck that brings your pellets is, reasonable chance you could lift a ton. Definitely a lot closer than the L series
  • The L4760 has an LA1055 loader, that'll lift 809kg 500mm forward. That's also in the ballpark, but I suspect it's a lot more expensive tractor. Has some great features though

Bottom line, if you have to lift a ton of pellets, then the MX is the smallest Kubota that'll do it (and even then it's marginal). And if it were me, I'd get the HST.

Finally, watch your budget a bit. You'll need a lot of implements - at a minimum you need a quick attach bucket, a set of quick attach forks, some sort of counter weight (a heavy implement or a ballast box), a back blade for snow (that could be your counter weight), a box blade for gravel, maybe you need to load the tyres.
I have to agree with this assessment. I have the L3901, and it does everything you are wanting to do on my 20 acre property. I also heat with wood pellets and buy 3 tons each year. The loader won't lift a full pallet, but I simply offload the bags for about a third of the pallet by hand onto an empty pallet, before moving the pallet from my trailer to the barn. This adds maybe 20 minutes to the task for three pallets, once per year. The tractor does everything else you mentioned. Why overbuy for a task that you only do occasionally? Especially since there is a simple work-around?

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I'd get the MX5200 for, what? $1,500 more? You get turbo and an extra 10+ horsepower. Tractors are a long term purchase. Buy ahead of yourself. What you think you'll use it for today may change as you find what all you can do with the thing. That's the reason I went with the 5800 over the 5200, but I understand going clear up to the 5800 may be a stretch, but do yourself a favor and take those interest savings and put it back in to getting the 5200

Incidentally, I have a buddy that bought a 5200. He could have easily purchased the 5800, but went with the 5200. Not because of money, but because of impatience. His local dealer had a 5200, but not a 5800. I ordered a 5800 and waited, even though it was hard to wait. He now wishes he had more horsepower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well done! Congrats and enjoy.