Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 1 Day Ago   #31
motionclone
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L345DT
Default Re: Hydraulic cylinder leak repair, unknown make

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Cat View Post
Motionclone, the piece you had to remove to get to the seals originally had a hook bent up at 90 deg just sticking out of the slot. You would normally get a hold of that end tab and pull the keeper out of the slot. In the future you can make that keeper out of keyway stock, often times I see 1/4" and you need to fine 12" pieces. I heat and bend the very end to be able to remove it again.

I didn't see the slot in your first pictures. In the future when the tab is missing you can drive the next smaller size keyway stock in and it will remove the old one. When installing the new keeper, I put a piece of PVC pipe or fitting in the vise and wrap the keyway stock around it to get it to take shape easier.

Who knows how it got butchered up. Just glad you got it figured out.
I thought it should have come out the top between the cap outside and the bore inside but there wasnt enough room. The diameter of the retaining rod was larger than that gap.

If you see in the pic with the redone cap low in the bore, thats where I could have put the retaining ring in the bore at that point then pulled the cap up or used hydro pressure to seat the cap against the retaining ring. Problem was I didnt have the right tool to put my homemade retaining ring into the bore. I tried a hose clamp as a compressor like i would compress the rings on a piston so it would fit into the bore BUT too much tension for a hose clamp.

Last edited by motionclone; 1 Day Ago at 04:01 PM.
motionclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 1 Day Ago   #32
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

Motionclone, glad you got that thing back together and working. After going back and looking at the pictures it looks like an unusual cylinder and maybe what I said earlier does not apply. Your looks like an adaptation of what I was trying to describe!

Did you have to cut/drill the slot in the side to get the rod in, or was it there already? Normally what ever you put in there, round or rectangular, has a matching groove to hold the cap from coming out or going in. So that clamp would not be required.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #33
motionclone
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Cat View Post
Motionclone, glad you got that thing back together and working. After going back and looking at the pictures it looks like an unusual cylinder and maybe what I said earlier does not apply. Your looks like an adaptation of what I was trying to describe!

Did you have to cut/drill the slot in the side to get the rod in, or was it there already? Normally what ever you put in there, round or rectangular, has a matching groove to hold the cap from coming out or going in. So that clamp would not be required.
I cut a groove in the side to get the ring out and thats where I ended up driving the new one back in. Looks like i was supposed to remove the small tab on top of cap, push the cap into the bore, remove the retaining ring then pull the cap out. The cap was unthreaded and only had a shoulder not a groove to contact the retaining ring. Tab was there to keep the cap from going into bore. Yes Odd, havent seen anything like it on youtube or net. I havent seen my backhoe attachment either. I got a telescoping dipper, it comes out about 18",, wierd

Last edited by motionclone; 1 Day Ago at 06:33 PM.
Old 17 Hours Ago   #34
Lil Foot

Master Tech

Equipment: 1979 B7100DT Gear

I think you win for the weirdest cylinders on the planet.
Your backhoe has features reminiscent of an old ARPS (they made some equipment for Kubota, like the B670 hoe, and later became AeroQuip) but I spent a lot of time looking at old hoes (no pun intended) and I cannot identify it. It does not look like a one-off from someone's garage, so I would expect it came from a small, short lived company. Pretty unusual for a small hoe to have an extendable boom. Like you say, weird.
'79 B7100DT, B219FEL, B670 Backhoe with 10" & (2) 14" Buckets, 60" Curtis front blade, GC Forks, 42" Gannon box blade, 60" 920lb roller, 4'x4' rock skid, 272lbs wheel weights, Hodge Stabilizers, small dump trailer, 2nd B670 Backhoe for parts, Piranha Toothbar
Lil Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Hours Ago   #35
motionclone
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Foot View Post
I think you win for the weirdest cylinders on the planet.
Your backhoe has features reminiscent of an old ARPS (they made some equipment for Kubota, like the B670 hoe, and later became AeroQuip) but I spent a lot of time looking at old hoes (no pun intended) and I cannot identify it. It does not look like a one-off from someone's garage, so I would expect it came from a small, short lived company. Pretty unusual for a small hoe to have an extendable boom. Like you say, weird.
Well lucky me!!

I got enough seals and orings to do the rest of the cylinders if it comes down to it. Wish I could find a pic of my exact model so I know what I got.
Old 14 Hours Ago   #36
G.rid
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionclone View Post
Looks like i was supposed to remove the small tab on top of cap, push the cap into the bore, remove the retaining ring then pull the cap out. The cap was unthreaded and only had a shoulder not a groove to contact the retaining ring. Tab was there to keep the cap from going into bore.
That's exactly how it's done. At work, I came across two cylinders from a Hiab crane that had me stumped at first. They were the same style but without the keeper tab. The other thing to watch when you rebuild the next ones, is don't push the gland in too far. It will block the oil passage (the one that's welded on yours) then it makes it a bear to get back out. Normally you would be able to pull the rod and piston out to pull the gland with it. But if the passage is blocked, the piston will have to pressurize the air and oil to force the gland out. Probably not too bad on small diameter cylinders like you've got. The Hiabs we're about 5-6" bore.
If all the seals we're good and tight, the gland should stay in place without the keeper. But it's good insurance since it's already there.

Good job on finding parts and getting it back in working order!
G.rid is offline   Reply With Quote