MX5800 for moving hay

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Majorwager, I find your "corrective" posts unhelpful and unpleasant. The forum has gotten along for the four years I've been on it very nicely with people making any snarky comments they felt necessary behind the scenes. You have made your feelings about flip's posts very clear multiple times. Could you please give it a rest?

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Majorwager, I find your "corrective" posts unhelpful and unpleasant. The forum has gotten along for the four years I've been on it very nicely with people making any snarky comments they felt necessary behind the scenes. You have made your feelings about flip's posts very clear multiple times. Could you please give it a rest?

I totally agree with you sheepfarmer. I watched him do the same thing over on tbn. Not sure why he thinks he is better than anybody else and belittle people. He was terrible on the other forum, and starting here now. Not impressed!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The OP has not come back with any additional questions, so the conversation is irritating to some. I asked Flip a question about the hay he bales. If it is out of line blow the out of bounds whistle and I'll move on!

Flip, if you can sell 1200# of good hay for $18 that's less cost than I paid just for having my hay cut, raked, and baled 3 years ago! This summer, right in the growing season, we had a drought. Caused hay to go for $60-65 a bale now for a 1200#.

A MX5800 could handle a 1200# bale front and back, just not stack to safely!!!:D

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
The OP has not come back with any additional questions, so the conversation is irritating to some. I asked Flip a question about the hay he bales. If it is out of line blow the out of bounds whistle and I'll move on!

Flip, if you can sell 1200# of good hay for $18 that's less cost than I paid just for having my hay cut, raked, and baled 3 years ago! This summer, right in the growing season, we had a drought. Caused hay to go for $60-65 a bale now for a 1200#.

A MX5800 could handle a 1200# bale front and back, just not stack to safely!!!:D
I would disagree with your statement if the bales were only 1200 lbs. I loaded a trailer with 2000 lb bales on level ground and was at least 5 feet high for clearance before sitting down. If the bales would have been 1200 I wouldnt have had any issues in my opinion. The loader is rated for 2275 lbs at pivot. All in all it is what each person feels comfortable with. Everyones sense of security is different.

I do agree with a lot of other people that the op asked a specific question and people that own that specific model or experience with that specific model should leave a response. If the op decides to purchase this model I highly recommend a SSQA Bale spear, 3 Pt Bale Spear, and either loaded or weighted rear wheels. Loaded or weights will be my next purchase.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I would disagree with your statement if the bales were only 1200 lbs. I loaded a trailer with 2000 lb bales on level ground and was at least 5 feet high for clearance before sitting down. If the bales would have been 1200 I wouldnt have had any issues in my opinion. The loader is rated for 2275 lbs at pivot. All in all it is what each person feels comfortable with. Everyones sense of security is different.

I do agree with a lot of other people that the op asked a specific question and people that own that specific model or experience with that specific model should leave a response. If the op decides to purchase this model I highly recommend a SSQA Bale spear, 3 Pt Bale Spear, and either loaded or weighted rear wheels. Loaded or weights will be my next purchase.

I agree with Kenny on this one - I'll try to get a picture on our MX5800 carrying a 2000 lb plus skid of wood bricks around. I sure it would handle 1200 lb bales no problem at all.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I agree with Kenny on this one - I'll try to get a picture on our MX5800 carrying a 2000 lb plus skid of wood bricks around. I sure it would handle 1200 lb bales no problem at all.
I'm sure it will, I imagine all the MX series will but...

It all comes down to CG and terrain. The actual lift capacity has little to do with stability and uneven terrain when moving (transporting round bales on a spear attached to a loader frame). Even with my M units, I always keep the bales close to the ground when moving across a hayfield and I position myself at 90 degrees to the trailer bed when loading bales with the bale as close as possible to the trailer before lofting the bale to load it. That really applies when loading the second tier because the CG is much higher and stability is compromised then.

I have 2 method's of loading my bales and it depends on what equipment I have available. I have a 2 pin quick attach bale spear I use on the 105 and I also use a bucket spear on the M9. The bucket spear has a fixing bolt that goes through the bucket floor that secures the spear to the bucket itself but because the spear is far from the pivot point of the loader frame it's more unstable that the 2 pin spear.

Just depends on what tractor I'm using at the time.

U would suggest that with the smaller MX units to use a spear that is close to the pivot point on the loader. That gives you more stability when moving and a greater mechanical advantage when lifting bales.

All distills down to your pucker factor, the terrain and how high you lift a bale to set it, whether it's on a trailer or in the barn for storage.

Years ago I quit storing rounds on their sides in the barn because the go from round to oval and when selling rounds, an oval bale isn't asthetically pleasing so I store my bales in the barn stacked on end, 3 bales high with the bottom bale on a pallet to keep it off the floor and dry.

To do that, I set the bales off the trailer and flip them upright using my pallet forks and then using the pallet forks again, stack the bales in the barn for storage. They keep much better than way,especially when selling them as buyers want a 'round' bale, not a sguished oval one.:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I'll digress to a PM. You asked and I replied. Not in depth however.

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
Our son had an MX5100 for a couple years and wasn't real happy with it even moving 4x4' high density bales. His L3940 does a much better job handling them without additional rear ballast. They put up anywhere from 650-850 bales per year. As long as it had one on the 3 point spear on the rear it handled and stacked them fine but with just loaded R4 rears and bale on the back it always felt light in the rear.

Here's one of the best charts I've seen for bale weights.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting. I, for one would never, never have R4 tires on any field tractor running hay, no exceptions. For one,with R4's you have less GC and traction between R1's and 4's is no comparison.

This summer I promise I'll take pictures of me cutting, raking, tedding, bailing and loading rounds on tractor trailers and gooseneck trailers for transport, I'll even take some pictures in the hay barn with me stacking rounds vertically, 4 high.

xlgriller

Jan 1, 2019
US
I have a mx5200 and feed big rounds 1 on front needs 4x4 engaged and go slow on relatively level ground, if you have one on back or counterbalance your good...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mwr8724

Mar 23, 2015
Northeast MO, USA
Thanks for all the replies, sorry it took me a bit to get back on here. These would typically be 5X6 bales so it sounds like the MX5800 might be just a little to light to do this comfortably.

Any other thoughts on a hydrostat tractor big enough to feed that size bale if not the MX5800? Really like the hydrostat transmission.