B2789 Snowblower Issue

gabelmatt

Equipment
GR 2120
Oct 8, 2012
Listowel,Ontario
Hey guys, I have a BX2360 with a B2789 rear mount snow blower and the problem Im having is it seems to not blow snow very far at all. My question is weather this is normal? And if so is there any changes I can do to the gears to help this at all? Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey guys, I have a BX2360 with a B2789 rear mount snow blower and the problem Im having is it seems to not blow snow very far at all. My question is weather this is normal? And if so is there any changes I can do to the gears to help this at all? Thanks
What do you call not very far?
What RPM are you running the tractor at?

Snow quantity and type will affect throw distance too.

gabelmatt

Equipment
GR 2120
Oct 8, 2012
Listowel,Ontario
What do you call not very far?
What RPM are you running the tractor at?

Snow quantity and type will affect throw distance too.
I run it almost revved right out. Even in light snow it doesn't throw it to far. Ive seen videos online with the same blower and it seems like they are going twice as far as mine will

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are some things to check.

With the tractor not running make sure the blower and augers are actually hard connected to the PTO.
I have seen a couple instances where pins have sheared but the blower will still drag and spin but with less force.

A few pictures of the unit might also point to something that is wrong with it.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Is your 2nd stage 3 blades or 4? 4 blades seem to work better. Also, how much gap between 2nd stage impellor blades & housing? The bigger the gap the less it will throw. Had one (3 blades, worn, large gap) on my B7100 & the only way it would throw decent was to run it in 2nd PTO speed (780 rpm?) & then it would break shear pins if I wasnt real smooth on the clutch. My buddy has the same blower on a 25hp Kioti & has the same prob & he has no intermediate PTO speed.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
As well as checking the shear pins make sure the 1st stage is feeding into the 2 nd stage, I have seen blowers where the 1st stage was turning in and out from the 2nd stage.
With regards the 2nd stage impeller and the gap, I have on my previous Allied 72 inch rear mounted blower added combine belt to reduce the housing clearance, I have it on my walk behind blower and that made a dramatic difference but it does depend on the initial gap. Even if you fit it tight it will wear in quite quickly, added benefits that it sweeps out any gravel that might get stuck.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
This one might be too obvious... Is there a chance your blower was originally intended for use as a front-mounted blower, thus it would have a chain or gear PTO speed reducer installed on it?

If you're not familiar with them, the front-mounted blowers that are driven from a mid PTO have an integral PTO speed reducer. The mid-PTO turns at 2500 RPM (give or take) while the impeller in the blower is designed for the standard 540 RPM supplied by a typical tractor's rear PTO. As a result, Kubota front-mounted blowers typically have a chain speed reducer to take the 2500 RPM shaft speed down to the 540 RPM to drive the impeller.

Double check to see that your impeller turns at the same speed as the PTO shaft. Do this with the blower on the ground and the tractor turned off and PTO disengaged - turning the shaft by hand.