Word To The Wise: Backing With Loader Tip Down

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Keep in mind he was using forks to pull tree logs apart. Forks provide a much longer lever to bend things with, and yanking back on trees is hard. This was not a large tractor.

That said, don't get the impression these machines are weak and can't be worked hard...they can. But use common sense. For example, back-dragging snow or dirt with a bucket is fine...just keep the angle fairly shallow. Keeping the up-down on float is very helpful as well.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice haircut too....lol

I do that all he time with both my M's and have for years with no ill effects. Small tractor doing a big job equals component failure. That cylinder new, from a dealer is over a grand.

I've literally lifted the front end on both, off the ground with the bucket lip and back dragged the bucket, lip down, pulling frozen earth or popping a small stump with no ill effects

Guess that is why I go big. Big equals stout. Stout equals less failure prone components. Not saying I cannot duplicate his misery, just saying the likelyhood of that is much, much less.

I believe that cylinder new from a dealer, is over a grand otd. Expensive lesson in common sense I'd say.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Great video, thanks for posting Ray. Many times I do a back drag and don't even think about although this was different circumstances. A good thing to be aware of.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I've literally lifted the front end on both, off the ground with the bucket lip and back dragged the bucket, lip down, pulling frozen earth or popping a small stump with no ill effects
I'm a newbie to tractor operation and had a question about this. I thought the real thing to avoid was back-dragging with the bucket close to or in the full dump position. Is back dragging at shallower angles frowned upon in any way at all?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a newbie to tractor operation and had a question about this. I thought the real thing to avoid was back-dragging with the bucket close to or in the full dump position. Is back dragging at shallower angles frowned upon in any way at all?
Back dragging with any extension of the cylinders is risky, the farther out the cylinders are, the higher the risk! ;)

Please don't be lead down a path to damage and destruction by Sidecarflip, which has got to be him just trying to make money for Kubota and/or cylinder repair parts and shops with his INFALLIBLE UNBREAKABLE SUPER M STORIES OF GRANDIOSE PROPORTIONS, I think he would tell you they make a fine cup of Coffee and marvelous Sunny side up eggs too if you asked. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Back dragging with any extension of the cylinders is risky, the farther out the cylinders are, the higher the risk! ;)

Please don't be lead down a path to damage and destruction by Sidecarflip, which has got to be him just trying to make money for Kubota and/or cylinder repair parts and shops with his INFALLIBLE UNBREAKABLE SUPER M STORIES OF GRANDIOSE PROPORTIONS, I think he would tell you they make a fine cup of Coffee and marvelous Sunny side up eggs too if you asked. :rolleyes:
Thanks! Its good to know! Some people have been operating these things since they were kids while some of us are somewhat weekend warriors without any real network of other tractor owners to share experiences outside these forums! Its clear some push their machines far past what they are intended to do with no repercussions but I also realize that doesnt mean its correct, smart or a gamble that will pay off in the long term.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

If you bothered to read my comment I said anything is possible. In my case, it's never happened in the last 9 years of owning both of them. In fact never happened to the previous 5 I've owned either.

I don't cook nor do I make coffee, my wife does that. Women's work. If I fried an egg, it could be used as a tire patch.:eek:

Anything can and will happen given the right circumstances. Interestingly, If I do that (back drag with the bucket at full dump) and the bucket contacts something immovable, my relief valve opens and allows the fluid to evacuate the cylinder. Did that before too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you bothered to read my comment
Bothered... oh I bothered to read them... I have to read every one of them.
I have ...many of them...and they are all adding up to a lot of cow excrement
!

Interestingly, If I do that (back drag with the bucket at full dump) and the bucket contacts something immovable, my relief valve opens and allows the fluid to evacuate the cylinder.
100%
There is no relief valve that magically opens when you overload the cylinders!
They are a closed loop when you close the FEL spool!
If your bucket automatically uncurls when you overload it, then partner you've blow the seals or done some other damage!
See that statement goes right back to my comment on the first part!

Attachments

Last edited: