Hand Controls for a L2501

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I purchased a new L2501 HST in August. I took a pretty bad fall onto my knees in September and it is looking like it will take months to get my knees replaced. I was wondering if anyone has any information for a hand control that could be used for the HST pedal. Most of the information I have found on the web is of little use or out of business.

Thank you

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Sorry for your knee problem. I had one replaced last year. As an owner of bad knees myself I must ask if you can't use the HST pedal , how are you going to get on the tractor ? Time to teach the Wife or good friend how to,operate till you recover. Not pickin on ya , I know way too much about bad knees.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Must be awful to have a new tractor and not be able to use it! I don't know of any companies per se, but I have an old Ingersoll garden tractor, and it has for me the annoying feature that everything is done with the hands, throttle, forward, reverse, hst, steering, everything. Perhaps something from its design could be borrowed. Everything is cable controlled. Getting on your tractor might be the best physical therapy. I am a strong proponent of pt, it really helps, even if it just keeps your muscles strong for surgery.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The cost of a custom device would most likely make it impractical! ;)

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
You could add cruise control that will put a lever right next to the seat. Should be about $150-$200 from the dealer.

Won't help you with reverse though.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I purchased a new L2501 HST in August. I took a pretty bad fall onto my knees in September and it is looking like it will take months to get my knees replaced. I was wondering if anyone has any information for a hand control that could be used for the HST pedal. Most of the information I have found on the web is of little use or out of business.

Thank you
An option to consider would involve the use of a 12 volt linear actuator.
The actuator could be mounted vertically and secured to the HST pedal with a ball joint. The actuator, at the push of a switch, would move the HST pedal up or down. The actuator action will be slow which is what you want.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200520510_200520510

It could be controlled with an electric controller like this one.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200520502_200520502

Dave

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
The actuator action will be slow which is what you want.

Dave
With all due respect Dave, that is incorrect and even dangerous. You’d want very fast (but accurate) action so it could return the pedal to neutral quickly when you need to stop. Waiting even one second would be an eternity in an emergency situation. I’ve never seen a linear actuator move fast! There are industrial servos that could be used, but those require special controllers and are both very expensive.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
With all due respect Dave, that is incorrect and even dangerous. You’d want very fast (but accurate) action so it could return the pedal to neutral quickly when you need to stop. Waiting even one second would be an eternity in an emergency situation. I’ve never seen a linear actuator move fast! There are industrial servos that could be used, but those require special controllers and are both very expensive.
I see the key switch as the emergency button. I accept your criticism but then propose a solution the average owner could afford otherwise the owner is left with nothing.

He could always completely automate his tractor and run it while sitting on his front porch :).

Dave

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
L3300 GST HST - set the gear [ speed] you want ] set the throttle -rpm] you are done. move the forward reverse lever to neutral and bingo you have stopped motions.
hope this helps i was on mine yesterday moving a foot of snow for me and 4 neighbors

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
L3300 GST HST - set the gear [ speed] you want ] set the throttle -rpm] you are done. move the forward reverse lever to neutral and bingo you have stopped motions.
hope this helps i was on mine yesterday moving a foot of snow for me and 4 neighbors
Vic,
Sounds like you have a GST and not a HST.
HST's are foot pedal operated where GST's are hand shuttle operated. ;)

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
This may be too simple thinking on my part,but could the pedal be removed and a simple piece of flat bar bolted in its place to make a lever forward/reverse? Full speed of hst might not remain but at least the tractor could be used,not in a speedy process using loader but it would be usable at least and not be permanently modified so you could put it back original when you are healed up.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
There is an old thread on TBN where a paraplegic equipped his foot control by attaching a rod to it, I saved the link to it for a while. It looked pretty simple.