BX or B, identify a 20 year old tractor

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I live on a little over 8 acres with 2.5-3 of them mowed. My property is relatively flat with some minor slope to it. This past Fall we were hit by a tornado that did substantial damage. A rough estimate is we lost around 100 trees. During the past 30 years living here I have gotten by with a JD lawn tractor but due to the storm I have had to rethink this.

A few days after the storm and individual came to help with his Kubota tractor with a grapple. The only information I have about the tractor is that it's approximately 20 years old and my wife took a photo. I was amazed at the work we were able to accomplish in a day and a half with this tractor. The work consisted of moving sections of trees and the accompanying brush.

At this point I decided to look into small tractors, specifically Kubota. I had decided on a BX2380 but am wondering if it will be up to what I need it to do? Currently I intend to use it to:
Mow, Move brush/limbs/tree sections, light landscaping and plow snow. The 3 pt hitch is not a priority and will probably only be used for a ballast box and towing a trailer around.
Once my immediate cleanup is done it will be primarily used for snow, mowing and occasionally clean up/brush moving.

I realize the lift limitations of the BX but am wondering if the B would provide a significant improvement worth the trade off with better mowing. Neither will lift the large trees I have down (white oak 3'-4' in diameter) and root balls over 6'. These I'll bring in a skid loader/excavator to move. I should mention my wife does some of the mowing and she does not like to sit high.

I've attached a photo of the Kubota that was at my property and am curious if anyone can identify it as I don't have the contact information for the owner? Is it a sub compact or a compact?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bill

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I live on a little over 8 acres with 2.5-3 of them mowed. My property is relatively flat with some minor slope to it. This past Fall we were hit by a tornado that did substantial damage. A rough estimate is we lost around 100 trees. During the past 30 years living here I have gotten by with a JD lawn tractor but due to the storm I have had to rethink this.

A few days after the storm and individual came to help with his Kubota tractor with a grapple. The only information I have about the tractor is that it's approximately 20 years old and my wife took a photo. I was amazed at the work we were able to accomplish in a day and a half with this tractor. The work consisted of moving sections of trees and the accompanying brush.

At this point I decided to look into small tractors, specifically Kubota. I had decided on a BX2380 but am wondering if it will be up to what I need it to do? Currently I intend to use it to:
Mow, Move brush/limbs/tree sections, light landscaping and plow snow. The 3 pt hitch is not a priority and will probably only be used for a ballast box and towing a trailer around.
Once my immediate cleanup is done it will be primarily used for snow, mowing and occasionally clean up/brush moving.

I realize the lift limitations of the BX but am wondering if the B would provide a significant improvement worth the trade off with better mowing. Neither will lift the large trees I have down (white oak 3'-4' in diameter) and root balls over 6'. These I'll bring in a skid loader/excavator to move. I should mention my wife does some of the mowing and she does not like to sit high.

I've attached a photo of the Kubota that was at my property and am curious if anyone can identify it as I don't have the contact information for the owner? Is it a sub compact or a compact?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bill
It's not a very good photo but It might be a B7800.

If so, it's quite a bit more tractor than any BX.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looks to be a B7400, B7410, B7500 or B7510.

As for a compact or sub - really depends on what you expect it to do,

If your wife is cutting grass - the BX is perfect for that as well as a FEL for moving a ton of stuff around!

If you need a little more umph - the B series gets up there with larger capacities and bigger overall machines.

The BX will do everything you need - and will MOVE those pieces of trees!!! YES - one bite at a time! I have moved many a 3' diameter tree.......40" lengths......cut the tree and roll into the bucket and roll on!:D

The root ball on the other hand ....you'll need a bigger machine!;)

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
Mystery solved. I was able to track down the owner and it's a B2400 that was purchased in '98. Now my question is, does anyone know how that compares with today's models? Did Kubota make a BX series in '98?

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
Thanks, for link. I'm afraid it's a mute point as my wife has spoken and it's the BX2380 we are going with. She feels much more comfortable mowing with the lower center of gravity.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you want it as a mower for the wife, don't look at anything other than a BX.
Yea a B will lift a little more, but will be awkward and cumbersome as a mowing tractor. ;)

Roswell

Equipment
B2601
Jun 11, 2018
Westport/Milton, MA
My wife can drive my B2601 around the yard but it’s tricky for her.. for mowing the BX would be far more manageable and just as effective.

Instead of a ballast box I’d look into picking up a box blade, helpful with grading and really useful to have especially if you want to smooth out all the areas where tree roots are pulled out. Would be easy to use with a BX but slightly more difficult than with a B series as the 3 point can be adjusted with more precision. Will take practice.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest that you get the 3PH arms when you buy the tractor. You will probably end up wanting them and you won’t notice any difference in monthly payments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
OP, My minister of sex & finance absolutely loves our BX for mowing to the point she gets more than a little upset if I don't let her help. She runs the BX while I zip around on the zero turn. Her help has cut our mowing time in half.
Regards.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
If 20 years old I would suggest that tractor is likely a B2400 or similar. I have a B2410. A good, solid machine.

Contrary to the opinions stated above, I find the tasks of on-going mowing and intermittent "hard work" not quite but almost mutually exclusive. If you have the mowing deck on the tractor you're not going to be using it very efficiently/effectively in dealing with brush, stumps, etc. If you have all the gear in place to deal with brush, stumps, etc you will want as much ground clearance as you can get.

With this in mind I would recommend one machine for mowing and one machine for the hard work. As a result I use the B2410 for mowing and in the summer leave the loader on the B7510 for doing all the other tasks. The B2410 with turf tires stepped out as far as they will go doesn't feel tippy in the least.

BTW my wife loves driving our B2410 to mow the grass - the power steering, 4wd and higher power makes it an each choice over our Cub Cadet riding mower. The B2410 I use at the airport with a 54" mid-mount mower does a beautiful job of cutting all that open space, and its FAST compared to a regular riding mower. Not as fast as the zero-turn or F-series mowers, but far faster than a conventional riding mower.