L175 Starter

devnull

Equipment
L175, Front snow plow, Woods finish mower, rototiller
Mar 1, 2009
Tallmadge, OH
I have an L175 (1977 according to seller) with 2100 hours. I think the starter may need replaced, but want to make sure before I commit to a purchase. I think the previous owner may have put undue wear by not knowing the correct procedures for starting (according to the manual). He was of the impression, that once the glow pug indicator glowed, then it was ready to start cranking. The manual indicated 40 secs (60 in cold weather) of warming before attempting to start. Also, both glow plugs were barely working when I bought the tractor. I have replaced the glow plus, which made a big difference. Even in very warm weather, I use the glow plugs, because without it, I get a lot of white smoke during extended cranking.

Another site about the L175 said that a properly functioning starter on an L175 should crank the engine at 400 RPMs - from what I see on the tac, it doesn't crank anywhere near this speed. Should I replace the starter? If so, is there a recommended reseller and replacement part number. According to my parts manual, the starter parts appear in the range of 15221-63014 - 15221-63510. I have found some starters that appear to be correct, but didn't see an exact match. The numbers on the starter sticker are worn-off, so I can't be sure.

Any advice on if I should replace and recommended replacement starter would be appreciated.

devnull

Equipment
L175, Front snow plow, Woods finish mower, rototiller
Mar 1, 2009
Tallmadge, OH
Thanks for detailed info. Right after I bought the tractor I replaced al the filters (fuel, oil, air) and change oils (engine and trans). I also replaced the batery cables. The battery in the tractor was a marine battery - the previous owner thought it a better option because of all the cranking he did without properly functioning glow plugs. I changed the battery with an 850 cca battery that was in my card (I think the one I put in it was 4+ years old). I think investing in a new battery sounds like the best option at this point. I will also re-check the points you made (especially the alternator). Also, thanks for the tip about the clutch release bearing. I saw your video about that topic - I had no idea it existed.

I am probably overstating the the problem - overall it starts fairly easily. I just want to make sure everything is functioning as well as possible. If I do need parts I will definitely be in contact.

Thanks again - great site!