Split brakes and differential lock

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not sure I understand why you would want to, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
Using split brakes allows you to stop one wheel independent from the other, but using the diff lock locks them both together.:confused:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Probably can, but you shouldn't. With the diff locked, you don't get any steering effect from using only one brake. It will act similar to using both brakes except the torque will be transmitted through the axles from the side of the brake you're using to the other. You'd be putting needless strain on the drivetrain.

In extenuating circumstances, where one brake failed and you needed braking on both wheels, you could use diff lock to get it, but it shouldn't be done as normal operating procedure.

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
Was wondering if I could stop the default power wheel from spinning while applying power to the other wheel. Trying to alternate traction plus tire steer in a muddy steep location. I think the answer is no, but thought I’d ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Was wondering if I could stop the default power wheel from spinning while applying power to the other wheel. Trying to alternate traction plus tire steer in a muddy steep location. I think the answer is no, but thought I’d ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Answer is no ....in that case, diffy lock will do the same as you want.....BUT at half the speed.

IF diffy lock is engaged - both tires SPIN at same rate - straight at same RPM

IF split brakes are applied on one side only - the opposite side will SPIN at twice the normal speed of the tires.

When going around a turn, typical tires spin at different rates - inside spin little , outside spin a lot. IF ONE is stopped - the other will spin at twice at twice as fast.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No you can not use the diff lock and independent brakes at the same time.

The diff lock, locks the two axles together so applying braking to one wheel applies braking to both.

There is no default power wheel, they both get the same power all the time, it's just the one that has less traction will spin first, in that case simply apply that side brake to transfer the power back to the other wheel that has not lost traction.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The diff lock should not be engaged after one of the wheels loses traction; you'll break it, so you need to have the foresight to engage it before you need it. If you find yourself in a situation where you've already lost traction in one wheel and think that you'll get stuck if you stop to engage the diff lock, or if the diff lock has been broken, then braking the spinning wheel can help to get power to the wheel with traction, but it doesn't work nearly as well as having the diff lock engaged when you need it.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
To expand on what others have said:

With an open differential, when one wheel is spinning you can apply brake to that wheel only to transfer power to the non-spinning wheel. But with a differential lock, you don't have to -- either both wheels spin or neither wheels spin. Brakes will not help whatsoever in either case. So it's either-or. Use the split brakes or use the diff lock, but not both.

Personally, I prefer the diff lock.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The diff lock should not be engaged after one of the wheels loses traction; you'll break it, so you need to have the foresight to engage it before you need it.
Interesting. I've applied the diff lock with my rear wheels spinning countless times on three different tractors...none have broken. Heck, the diff lock doesn't even engage without some spinning.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Interesting. I've applied the diff lock with my rear wheels spinning countless times on three different tractors...none have broken. Heck, the diff lock doesn't even engage without some spinning.
Seems there's been a couple/few here on OTT that have broken theirs by hitting the lock while spinning. I don't remember exactly what broke.

If mine breaks loose, I stop momentarily then and depress lock and HST pedal at same time.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The first part on the sentence is trouble - the last part is very true, but there is a fine line between SPINNING and "spinning". Usually - if in a pickle and one tire spins - stop, diffy lock engaged - then ease on forward or rev motion until it engages.

Most of the time the locking pin will shear - or what holds the pin in place will shear, either way - a very costly expense for not being patience.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
On hydraulic,or electric differential locks, applying a brake releases it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your L and Your MX probably never an issue, your B that one I'd watch doing that. ;)