1984 B8200E Charge light won't go off.

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 1984 B8200E on Sunday and the Charge light doesn"t go off after it is started and has run for a while. The battery was replaced new in March '09. Any Idea what to look for or test to see if the charging system is working correctly? Dynamo? Regulator? Since I bought it, I haven't looked too close at the wiring yet to see any obvious problems except that the battery is grounded on the seat slide bracket instead of the chassis which I will change tonight.

Could a bad groung cable from the battery to case cause this, even though it will start and run? Lights all work high/low/tail/hazards.

Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

Phil

Attachments

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Just going through some old Posts here and realized I never posted the solution to my charge light problem. I ended up replacing the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. Good deals on eBay for them.

Thanks,
Phil

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
phildac, glad to see the attic being cleaned out :D

All follow ups are much appreciated as it's worth lots to help others - thanks!

TractorWerx

Equipment
B2400, FEL, Woods tiller 5', 5' Box blade, 6' disc.
May 19, 2010
KY, McCracken Co
You might want to measure voltage with engine off, then with it running. Voltage should be >13 when running, if not there is an issue with the charging circuit. If it checks out then the dirt as mentioned, or faulty connection could be the problem. The battery even tho it is only a year old could have a short and never take a charge?

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
I also had this problem. As Vic mentioned, I found the generator full of dirt, so I cleaned it out. I replaced the rectifier. I replaced the molded ends on the battery cables. After all that, once I ran the unit for an hour or so mowing, the light went out. I think it was worth the effort!