M120 not charging

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have replaced the battery ,alternator checked 100 amp charging fuse.any other ideas why it's still not charging?
explain further..........

why did you replace the battery? did it die? would it take a charge? Did you test the charging system while running with a VOLT meter?

give us more info on what you did first , second and so on.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Altenator gets power from 2 places. The first is the main power wire coming off from starter. Other power comes in off one of the other wires that connects to altenator. It either comes off the fuse panel or key switch. Not sure which wire it is with out metering it out. Or seeing a wiring schematic. The second power wire is considered the exciter wire and tells the altenator to charge. I'm thinking that either a fuse is bad, bad connection, or bad wire. Could have a blown diode also. Not sure if kubota uses a diode on the charging system. A wiring diagram would be really helpful. Would show which color the exciter wire is on the altenator so you would know which one to trace

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Altenator gets power from 2 places. The first is the main power wire coming off from starter. Other power comes in off one of the other wires that connects to altenator. It either comes off the fuse panel or key switch. Not sure which wire it is with out metering it out. Or seeing a wiring schematic. The second power wire is considered the exciter wire and tells the altenator to charge. I'm thinking that either a fuse is bad, bad connection, or bad wire. Could have a blown diode also. Not sure if kubota uses a diode on the charging system. A wiring diagram would be really helpful. Would show which color the exciter wire is on the altenator so you would know which one to trace
Daren,

I know what you are trying to say....but the alternator does not get ANY power, it simply produces current and voltage, back through that source wire......not trying to be a a$$:) - but the you are right, the exciter wire could be out, and thus never told to charge the battery, and it could be the diode too - if there is one.

A diagram would be verrryyy helpful - and a good VOM !!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lol, not tying to turn this into a debate, but there is power at the alternator. Alternator only requires a small amount to generate a lot of amperage. Testing alternator circuits for proper function should be done before replacing parts. A blown 100 amp fuse indicates there is an issue here, and a good chance there is another one thats blown.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Every alternator that I've checked that was wired correctly and the battery had voltage had voltage on the large wire on alternator plus when ing switch is turned to on the exciter wire at alt should have electricity. If both above mentioned wires have voltage then I'd suspect a faulty regulator inside alternator.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren,

I know what you are trying to say....but the alternator does not get ANY power, it simply produces current and voltage, back through that source wire......not trying to be a a$$:) - but the you are right, the exciter wire could be out, and thus never told to charge the battery, and it could be the diode too - if there is one.

A diagram would be verrryyy helpful - and a good VOM !!!
In order for his charging system to work properly, he would need power coming in on both wires :p:p no power on the main wire coming in indicates an issue with either the wire going to starter or battery cables or fuse if equipped. No power on exciter side and there is an issue with either diode, wire, pin connector, crimp, spade, fuse panel, or key switch;)

Yes the altenator only requires minimal power to work, but if no power coming in on main terminal, it could cause the regulator to go out and burn up the altenator. The regulator also works as an off switch on the altenator so if it only requires a minimal amperage to maintain the charge, it adjusts accordingly. If no juice going to main terminal on altenator, it would run full amps all the time;)