Spray Paint Color Match?

T Man

Equipment
Oct 17, 2014
SE Kansas
Anyone know what the closest color match is to Kubota orange? We just purchased a 3901 and are having chain hooks welded to the bucket, and a piece of expanded metal welded onto the "brush guard" on the front of the tractor. I would like to make sure they dont rust, but dont really want to dig out my hvlp gun and deal with the hassle of spraying what will amount to touch ups.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
If you have access to a Tractor Supply, they have spray cans labeled as "Kubota Orange". I think they also have it in quart cans also.

Ron

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Three places- Tractor Supply as mentioned, your Kubota dealer, and an automotive paint jobber can match it. I've used the paint from Tractor Supply, and it was the most reasonably priced and matched well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The TSC paint matches good but after some time it turns a funny faded orange color. I would suggest going to the dealer and buying a rattle can, the color will be right for a long time. It's higher but IMHO worth the $$$.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
The TSC paint matches good but after some time it turns a funny faded orange color. I would suggest going to the dealer and buying a rattle can, the color will be right for a long time. It's higher but IMHO worth the $$$.
I too use the Kubota rattle cans for touch ups. It's worked great so far and hasn't faded.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I made these hook plates and bolted them to my bucket in 2000 when I bought the tractor. These pics are not but a couple of years old and you can see how well the paint still looks compaired to the factory color on the bucket.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
T-Man

Beware the two colors! Kubota Orange I and Kubota Orange II.

The older tractors are the Kubota I. The newer color is the Kubota Orange II -the "redder orange." In fact, my L3800 is painted with the Kubota II while the dash cluster surround (which come on the transmission frame from Japan) is Kubota I colored plastic. Go figure.

The paint is high quality but the nozzles spray a crappy fan/fog pattern. To get a nice wet pass you'll have to hold it pretty close to the item -around six inches or so. I went through about a dozen cans and they were all the same.

Paint in good light. Get close. Keep moving. Start each pass off the item and don't quit until you are past the item. You'll get a good job. Dry time for re-coats is about 15 minutes. When done, leave the pieces out in the sun for a day or two and the paint will harden up well.

Forgot to mention: The proper primer color for orange is either white or very light gray. If you use standard dark or medium gray primer, one final coat of orange will hide it well enough. You'll like the final result.

I also bought a quart of orange for some major touch up on my bucket after landscaping is completed. It was a little cheaper than four rattle cans but I'll get a better job for larger areas. For what you need, the rattle cans are perfect.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
what's the dealer pricing on a rattle can? It would be nice to touch up around the edges this winter before parking some traded out implements

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
what's the dealer pricing on a rattle can? It would be nice to touch up around the edges this winter before parking some traded out implements
I'm building a dump trailer for my BX25D, and was going to use Kubota spray bombs to paint it, but WHOAAAAA, local dealer wanted $16.00 per can! I bought quart of the K- grey and quart of K-orange, and they were $46 and $54! -I'll definitely be sourcing a match-up color too, way out of whack!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
thinking of color match..... what about older Woods mowers? Or do you just repaint this Kubota Orange these days?