L2350dt clutch grinding

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Hey guys, I'm new to your forum
I just purchased an l2350 Kubota with1300hrs a woods loader and a hoe attachment
I noticed the gears are grinding and a whining noise .
So I downloaded the owners manual. Maintenance section shows a grease fitting, well I guess my model doesn't have one so that's no help. The bearing is really loose on the hub(no grease) and the clutch bell housing are missing some teeth. So I guess its safe to say i probably need a replacemet......

Does anyone have a secure site to download a service repair shop manual. I think I'm going to tackle splitting my tractor and replacing the clutch myself. Along with the bearings etc.....

This is my first K, I hope I made the right choice. Any help is appreciated thanks Sam

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi Sam - you've come to the right place - a lot of first-time Kubota people are here as well as plenty of old f**ts who have been through "grinding gears". Grinding always means the gears are still turning when they should be stopped - usually because the clutch is not completely disengaging the engine. Sometimes it can be improved by adjusting the pedal linkage - but it's only temporary. The real fix is a new clutch disk. It's not a huge job - and doing it yourself will save some money and be pretty satisfying. North Idaho Wolfman may be able to offer a WSM link. Good luck and welcome. Dick B

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Hi Sam - you've come to the right place - a lot of first-time Kubota people are here as well as plenty of old f**ts who have been through "grinding gears". Grinding always means the gears are still turning when they should be stopped - usually because the clutch is not completely disengaging the engine. Sometimes it can be improved by adjusting the pedal linkage - but it's only temporary. The real fix is a new clutch disk. It's not a huge job - and doing it yourself will save some money and be pretty satisfying. North Idaho Wolfman may be able to offer a WSM link. Good luck and welcome. Dick B
Thanks Dickb!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Thanks Dickb!

Well dick b I tried adjusting my pedal it didn't work. I did add some 5w/30 fluid right before the clutch went out , i could only see a little in the sight glass. I was on level ground and i filled it within spec.
When Do I need too change the tranny fluid? I figured i could do that while it's cold outside. I just downloaded the wsm looking over it[emoji102] now. Separation doesn't look too difficult. I am going to write down a parts list for my tractor and call some local dealers for pricing.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Oil for your engine should be 15w40 for diesels. Oil for the transmission should be general purpose hydraulic fluid for tractors. The 5w30 you added is a thicker than hydraulic oil so its not ideal, but it won't do any harm - the trans holds 5+ gallons so a couple quarts won't hurt anything. If your trans oil is clean (not milky or water-contaminated) it doesn't really need changing. Often a new owner does a transmission oil and filter change to establish a reference. Gear tractors go several hundred hours of use between changes. The clutch noises are unlikely related to oil level anyway.

Missing teeth ? Does the starter engage and turn the engine over ok ?

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Oil for your engine should be 15w40 for diesels. Oil for the transmission should be general purpose hydraulic fluid for tractors. The 5w30 you added is a thicker than hydraulic oil so its not ideal, but it won't do any harm - the trans holds 5+ gallons so a couple quarts won't hurt anything. If your trans oil is clean (not milky or water-contaminated) it doesn't really need changing. Often a new owner does a transmission oil and filter change to establish a reference. Gear tractors go several hundred hours of use between changes. The clutch noises are unlikely related to oil level anyway.

Missing teeth ? Does the starter engage and turn the engine over ok ?
Thanks for the info I'll check for discoloration in my gear oil.
The teeth in question was a reference to my clutch and pressure plate. Not the flywheel . Guess it was ironic that the grinding happened after adding oil. But to note I noticed the noise a couple days before. Looks like the push bearing is wore out.
Yes the engine turns over. Its smooth as far as I can tell.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
........The teeth in question was a reference to my clutch and pressure plate. Not the flywheel........
The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, clamping the clutch. Only the flywheel has teeth (on the outer edge for the starter).

Last edited:

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, clamping the clutch. Only the flywheel has teeth (on the outer edge for the starter).
***129315;***129315;***129315;***129315;Guess I meant the pressure plate assy.

Before reassembly do I have my flywheel resurfaced? I've noticed some just use an emery cloth to clean them. I know the answer to my question, just asking for more opinions....
Thanks

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
We may be using different terms - the flywheel "teeth" are actual gear teeth. If these are broken or mising it usually affets the starting function.

The pressure plate has thin flat metal springs extending toward the center called "fingers". If the release bearing fails these fingers can get destroyed too. Are you refering to these as teeth? If so a clutch job is definitely needed (clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, crank pilot bearing). Flywheel resurfacing is needed if the surface is gouged or warped (less common).

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
And just for fun and general underconstumbling, the teeth are actually part of the "ring gear" which is heated/expanded then cooled/shrunk, or pressed onto the fly wheel.

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
We may be using different terms - the flywheel "teeth" are actual gear teeth. If these are broken or mising it usually affets the starting function.

The pressure plate has thin flat metal springs extending toward the center called "fingers". If the release bearing fails these fingers can get destroyed too. Are you refering to these as teeth? If so a clutch job is definitely needed (clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, crank pilot bearing). Flywheel resurfacing is needed if the surface is gouged or warped (less common).
Yes, my pressure plate "fingers" were destroyed by the release bearing. The bearing will turn but it seems to grind like a wore out dry wheel bearing. Thanks for clarifying its been a while since I've changed out or messed with anything with a clutch.
This will be interesting. I just built a 30x50 shop so working on my "k" will be much easier than having gravel in my back. Not going to miss those days at all

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Wow - a 30x50 shop! Way cool!
Hope your clutch job goes well - if you dig around a bit here and at TractorByNet you'll see some related posts, pics, etc. - might save some time & wrenching. Work safe, Dick B