B1700 HST coolant in the oil

Elto1

Equipment
7100HST and mower
Dec 23, 2010
Salem, OR, USA
I recently acquired a 1986 Kabota B7100HST-D with 1700 hrs on it. It has not been run for about 4 years. When I drained the crankcase oil I noticed that about a cup of green coolant came out first then the oil. Does this mean a bad head gasket or is there some other way for coolant to get into the crankcase? What should be done before trying to start this engine? I assume draining the fuel and changing the filter, drain and flush cooling system, oil and filter change. This tractor was only used as to mow grass and appears to be in good condition overall except for the coolant in the oil issue. Thanks for any and all help. Tom

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
I'll hope someone more familiar with B1700 history will kick in if there is a known problem with the model (did you do a search?). Most of the time I've seen coolant in the oil it's been - warped head, blown head gasket from being overheated or a cracked head or block from freezing problems. It'd probably be a good idea to pressurize to see if you can track down the leak source before you go to a whole lot of trouble trying to get it running.

Ron

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I recently acquired a 1986 Kabota B7100HST-D with 1700 hrs on it. It has not been run for about 4 years. When I drained the crankcase oil I noticed that about a cup of green coolant came out first then the oil. Does this mean a bad head gasket or is there some other way for coolant to get into the crankcase? What should be done before trying to start this engine? I assume draining the fuel and changing the filter, drain and flush cooling system, oil and filter change. This tractor was only used as to mow grass and appears to be in good condition overall except for the coolant in the oil issue. Thanks for any and all help. Tom
Coolant in the oil is never a good sign but before I took things apart I would drain the coolant and refill with just water and then run it for a few hours making sure that everything gets well warmed up. Also at the same time check for signs of exhaust in the coolant. I believe that the only route for antifreeze into oil is through the head. So either the gasket decided to leak or the head is cracked. It is possible if it is just the gasket that with running it may reseal itself. At least with just water you will not ruin the engine if it does leak some more.
Once you determine if the leak is a permanent problem or not you can either pull the head or continue to run it if there no more signs of leakage.