Center Blade Wobble on RC60-71B

jstrauch

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Sep 11, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
I recently replaced the center blade on my RC60-71B mower, but I am having trouble with the blade. After tightening, I can definitely make the blade rock or wobble back and forth. The two outer blades don't do this! I don't own a torque wrench and am tightening the blade as tight as I can with a pipe wrench (no cheater bar). Once I start mowing, the center grass isn't getting cut and I can hear the blade hitting the shrowd. It seems like the blade isn't turning and when it does "catch" it hits the side of the mower. The first time this happened, the blade bolt was very loose to the point of coming completely off.
I didn't pay attention during disassembly with regards to the positions of the cup washers. There seems to be enough room, in my opinion, for another washer when everything is assembled and tight. I really would like some advice on the proper placement of the cup washers and if this issue has happened to others (and their "fix").

Thanks! :confused:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
So is it the blade wobbling on the shaft or the shaft wobbling in the gearbox?
There are 2 washers, right? Get the blade over the shoulder on the shaft, the wide side of the cups go toward the gearbox.
>((I-]
nut, washer washer, blade, flange. If that pictorial makes sense.
Make an effort to hold the blade centered on the shoulder till you get the nut finger tight. If you pinch it on the shoulder of the shaft it will feel tight for a second, till it gets power then finds true center, then the nut is loose.

Last edited:

jstrauch

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Sep 11, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
Birddogger & Profnohair -

Thank you for the quick replies. Luckily, it is the blade wobbling and not the gearbox shaft. I saw the parts diagram online and have to say that the cup washers were not oriented as shown in the diagram when I took my blade off. Instead, the previous owner had a washer on each side of the blade, larger side touching the blade on each side. I will try the correct orientation this weekend and respond. I tried mowing with only the outer blades and let's just say I never want to again...

Jeremy