Kubota clicks, but does not turn over

jevans0403

Equipment
Kubota BX25
Jun 13, 2019
Aurora CO
I was using my older model kubota recently, for about an hour straight. I stopped for lunch, came back to the tractor, but it wouldn't turn over. I have watched several YouTube videos on what it could be, but I haven't found anything yet. I've checked the seat safety switches (unplugged them, cleaned, plugged them back in), fuses, ground wire (looks like it's connected and in good shape), battery is good, and tried warming up the glow plugs. All to no avail. I'm at a loss and am ready to give up! I hope someone here can offer the golden ticket. I have a quick video loaded to YouTube to help show what's going on, "Kubota not starting, looking for help".

Thanks in advance!

Jason

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Here is a link to the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvntrrgCpg It is a BX25, and my guess is that either the 3 point hitch lever or the speed control isn't in neutral. The dash goes blank when he turns the key, which is the same thing that my tractor does, when I forget and some lever isn't in its proper position for starting the engine.
Because he is moving the forward reverse pedal while turning the key, it is difficult to hear the click. The click might also be the solenoid engaging, but there is insufficient voltage to crank. Whenever I suspect this, I attach jumper cables to the battery, after checking the battery connections for corrosion. Many times, the battery is good, but the path to ground has been compromised.

Edit..... I forgot to mention to connect the other end of the jumper cables to a known good battery.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start with the simple and work your way up the chain.

Pull the battery and go have it load tested.

Check and clean all connection on all ends.

Check all fuses.

Then check back with us on what to do next.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Just had to chime in to laugh when someone says a BX25 is an older Kubota.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I am having the same problem with my L355ss. Its the ignition switch on mine. It intermittently does the same thing when I try to start it sometimes. I just hear a click and it wouldn't turn over. First thing I thought it was the battery but it tested good. I just repeatedly turn the switch and it catches. I have to replace it soon.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
If battery passes load test then I'll guess loose /corroded battery cable connection more than likely where ground cable attaches to tractor frame.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I was using my older model kubota recently, for about an hour straight. I stopped for lunch, came back to the tractor, but it wouldn't turn over. I have watched several YouTube videos on what it could be, but I haven't found anything yet. I've checked the seat safety switches (unplugged them, cleaned, plugged them back in), fuses, ground wire (looks like it's connected and in good shape), battery is good, and tried warming up the glow plugs. All to no avail. I'm at a loss and am ready to give up! I hope someone here can offer the golden ticket. I have a quick video loaded to YouTube to help show what's going on, "Kubota not starting, looking for help".

Thanks in advance!

Jason
PTO lever in engaged position ????