B2650 35 hour review

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
I turned to this forum to make the decision between a John Deere 1025R and a Kubota tractor. I narrowed my tractor want down to a B2650 after ruling out the Deere. So far I have 35 hours on the tractor and have used it for a variety of tasks. Here are my thoughts thus far for potential owners of this series.

First, I needed a tractor because we recently bought five acres of land to build on. I planned on using the tractor to smooth the land as there were several large holes on the land. I also planned on using the tractor to plant trees and grass as well as install fencing, remove old irrigation, and do driveway work.

I purchased the tractor brand new because it made sense to me. I looked at used first but found that all of them had hundreds of hours on the meter and most came with on the tractor. Secondly, the price was not far off from the cost of a brand new one in my area.

I took delivery at the beginning of the year and love the way my tractor AKA "Kody" looks. I opted for a front end loader (FEL), brush hog, and box blade, all of which are Land Pride implements. The tires were also filled by the factory. I have since ordered pallet forks and a post hole digger for the three point hitch.

Box Blade Use

My most used implement so far has been the box blade. I quickly noticed how small the tractor was when trying to move some earth around with it. I anticipated this from the start and although you could tell it was small, Kody was able to move her fair share of earth around. The biggest issue she faced was moving earth in a sugar sand environment.

I was successful with the blade using it to both pull and push earth around. I used the blade to also extend a gravel entrance and had no issues with it. It is important to understand that this type of tractor will not be best for blade work, but it is no light weight either for the work. If I had issues, I would simply take a smaller cut when using the blade.

Front End Loader (FEL)

I have used the loader to dig up old pipe that was located on our property. The bucket did a good job at getting the hole dug, but I quickly found myself having difficulty backing out of the hole. This could be my fault as I am not super experienced with FEL work. I also found that the loader itself had some issues with lifting the pipe out of the hole.

I have used the bucket to transport a cut-down tree to the burn pile. I quickly noticed how small the bucket is when doing this work. I requested the largest size bucket for the tractor be placed. The bucket is not big enough to hold a shovel sideways which gets annoying at times. I was told the 60" bucket is too big for the tractor and could allow it to hold more in the bucket than the tractor is rated for.

I have used the FEL and the float feature to flatten out many spots. I found this feature is great when used after box blading an area. The final product is nice and smooth after doing this.

I have also used the bucket to hold a 55 gallon drum full of water. When installing our fence post, we are currently using this system to jet the poles in. The bucket holds a drum of water nicely and leaves enough room for the electric water pump and water hose. When the drum runs dry, I simply run to the hose at the other end of the lot and get more water. The 2650 comes with a 12v plug by the seat and is going to be used to run this motor. I read many threads where people had to stretch cords to the battery. Not the case with this model ("The luxury model as some stated") because of the plug. The placement will allow me to not only run the electric motor being held in the loader, but to easily run a sprayer when I get one.

Fuel

The B2650 has a 7 gallon fuel tank. At first I thought this would be an issue when comparing this size tank to a riding lawn mower. I was pleasantly surprised and can say that in 35 hours or work, I have put 15 gallons of fuel in and am sitting on a full tank of gas.

The gas fill neck is located on top of the hood near the steering wheel. Some have complained of the location of the fill spout. I purchased a 5 gallon can with a push button nozzle. I simply lay the can sideways on the hood (on a shirt) with the spout sitting directly in the gas tank spout. I simply hold the button and the fuel dispenses within a minute or less.

I was very impressed with how little fuel the tractor uses. Maybe I am not running enough RPMS? I typically stay around 17 to 1900 depending on what I am doing.

Size and weight / Transport

I currently use an 18' car hauler to transport Kody. I use a 2010 Tahoe LT (2WD) as the towing vehicle. It does fine and has no issues with pulling the complete package. This setup is small enough to get into back yards and do work where other tractors couldn't get to. Also, the weight is light enough that I can drive through a grass yard without rutting it up or leaving evidence of my presence.

I opted to get the R4 tires due to the main environment I will be in. Also, I really liked how they look on the tractor. These tires have proved me with enough traction where I have had no issues. Also again they did not leave marks in a nice yard I was driving in as long as you do not turn fast at a full circle.

I used the tractor to tow a vehicle through sugar sand. Prior to Kody, the vehicle was pulling an 8x10 trailer full of fence post and bags of concrete. The vehicle got stuck and was unable to move. Kody was able to pull the vehicle with little help from the vehicle being recovered.

Post Hole Digger

I bought the Dirty Hand tools model 90 auger for the tractor. The upper link portion did not fit right into the tractor. I have had issues with this implement, but nothing due to Kody. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at how Kody was able to use the implement. I was previously worried as I read many horror stories about compact tractors and post hole diggers.

I must admit that my scenario is digging in soft sand with no obstruction. This may be a different case if I ever tow Kody to Georgia.

conclusion

I feel the B2650 is a great option for someone looking for a compact tractor with capability. I wanted this size because I plan on using a belly mower in the future and keeping this machine for life. This tractor has the capabilities on paper and has done everything I asked it to so far. Keep in mind, you might have to make a few extra trips when hauling stuff, or a few more passes when doing ground work, but I am confident this model will do what you ask of it.

I have not used the pallet forks yet but intend on installing them shortly. I will modify a pallet to hold my above listed water drum as well as six or so fence post. Once I run out of post, I will shuttle more water and post in using the pallet on the forks as a make-shift truck bed.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Good overview, the Pallet Forks and Snow Pusher are near my most used attachments

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Thanks for posting. I'm looking at upgrading to a B2650 and always interested in hearing what people who have them have to say about them.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks for this overview. I also considered the B2650 but ended up with an L2501 because it was nearly the same money yet is significantly larger and heavier, with a larger loader bucket that lifts higher. The B2650 is more deluxe for sure, and I did want the belly mower option which you can't have on the L-series. So there are pros and cons to each. Please continue to post how your experience with your new machine is as you add hours!

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Troverman, had a L2501, great unit, did a lot of hard work with her. Went to the B2650 for the cab, comfort and she fits my needs good now.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yeah, the cabs are nice. I'd like one, but much of my work is on very steep slopes and I worry the cab raises the center of gravity enough to make a difference on a side hill.

I seriously contemplated a Grand L 60 series with a cab last year but ended up with an open-station MX instead for the same reason.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
You're doing excellent on fuel consumption. Very impressive.

With my L, I want to say I consume around 1 gallon per hour with 2000 RPM tasks.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Nice review, thanks for sharing your findings.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Nice write up, should help folks with future decisions. I agree with getting the larger bucket. I was concerned with exceeding the lift capacity if I got the bigger one, but I see now that it's not a concern. Live and learn.