New member, B2650 questions

WannaB2650

Equipment
none yet
May 25, 2019
Northeast Ohio

New member, just joined. Long time visitor though.

New to Kubota, although have owned other tractors and equipment in the past.

Close to purchasing a B2650 TLB as my retirement tractor.

Just need to finalize my decisions on implements and tires etc.

Hoping to get input from this site with the above.

Thanking all that contribute to this site. Learned a great deal just by reading comments and suggestions here.

Thank you again.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll start off with the usual question: what do you want to do with it? Size of property, type of land, type of tasks you want to undertake.

Absent that info, I'd say quick attach bucket, quick attach forks or grapple (maybe both), a mower of some sort, maybe snow clearing equipment (blades or blowers), gravel management (blade or box blade). Maybe weighted tires depending on aims, maybe not if you're mowing and sensitive to ruts.

Cab perhaps if snow or heat or bugs. But not if in narrow woods trails (although some people reckon breaking a cab is better than breaking your head).

And of course, the usual questions on whether a B is big enough, whether you really need a mid PTO or cab (the two big advantages of the B v's a small L).

And I'll add the obligatory question on whether a backhoe is right for you, or whether renting a more capable machine when you really need it is better. If it were me I'd get a backhoe in the B class (maybe not BX) if I had the money and room to store it - having it there means you'll use it where a mini-ex may take half a day to go and get and return.

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
Nice tractor. I bought the bx23 and now have bigger rocks to move. Maybe renting a bigger machine for that. The one implement I wished I would have got was a grapple for clearing brush. I also wish messicks rented a brush hog for the 23. I have short term need for one.

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
You specified a TLB - Tractor/Loader/Backhoe

Have you looked into how much work it is to take the backhoe off?

Does the backhoe mount allow for 3 point hitch use?

How much will you use the hoe? Are you willing to put up with mounting/dismounting the hoe every time you want to use an attachment?

While a mounted hoe has definite advantages when used as a backhoe my feeling is that it's a PITA the rest of the time.

I had a 3PH mounted backhoe that went on and off pretty much in the same amount of time as any other 3PH implement. Downside was it wasn't as solid as a subframe mounted hoe, but it was certainly handier than a subframe unit when changing equipment frequently...3-4 times a day for some jobs.

I kept my hoe when I sold the JD750 and replaced it with a B2650, but couldn't mount the hoe to the Kubota due to interference with the cab.

Offshell

Equipment
B2650HSDC and BH77
Apr 17, 2019
Brainerd, MN
You specified a TLB - Tractor/Loader/Backhoe

Have you looked into how much work it is to take the backhoe off?

Does the backhoe mount allow for 3 point hitch use?

How much will you use the hoe? Are you willing to put up with mounting/dismounting the hoe every time you want to use an attachment?

While a mounted hoe has definite advantages when used as a backhoe my feeling is that it's a PITA the rest of the time.

I had a 3PH mounted backhoe that went on and off pretty much in the same amount of time as any other 3PH implement. Downside was it wasn't as solid as a subframe mounted hoe, but it was certainly handier than a subframe unit when changing equipment frequently...3-4 times a day for some jobs.

I kept my hoe when I sold the JD750 and replaced it with a B2650, but couldn't mount the hoe to the Kubota due to interference with the cab.
A dolly and enough room to store the BH77 in the shop made it quite a bit more convenient for me. Even as easy as it is, if I had to change between the backhoe and other three point implements multiple times a day it would get old pretty quickly.

WannaB2650

Equipment
none yet
May 25, 2019
Northeast Ohio

Re read my original post. Sorry that perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my question(s).

For the most part, I am pretty confident that the B2650 as a tractor will perform adequately for my needs.

Would have no problem stepping up in size except for the DPF thing. Wanted to stay clear of that.

I am not too concerned with the on/off of the BH77. Just need to plan accordingly.

The several things that are holding up the order are-

Tires- Salesman wants me to go with R-4s. 90 % of what they sell are R-4.

I have had R-4s on other equipment and have been less than pleased with them.

Have had R-1s also, they are good for Farm and Field work.

Wondering if there are other tire options other than R-1, R-3, and R-4 ??

I did see when on Land Pride site for 15 series rear blades, tractor pictured with Nokian Tri 2 tires?? They seem to be more of what I am looking for.

Salesman says he never heard of them for Kubota tractors.

Also looked into the new R-14 tires. They are not available for the 2650.

Anyone have any input on other tire options?

Also having hard time with salesman on Box Blade and Rear Blade. Seems to want to offer the lighter duty models as best for me. I prefer a little heavier in Box Blade and Rear Blade. My thinking is the extra weight is beneficial. Within reason of course.

My list of implements to finalize specs on are-

Rear Blade
Box Blade
Tiller
3pt. Finish Mower

I value everyone's opinion on Implements and especially the Nokian or other tire options.

Thank you again.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Do you have another Kubota Dealer close by that you can get another quote from? You might find a salesman that is more willing to build the tractor package that you want and not what they are trying to get rid of.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
As far as the BH77, on off is pretty simple once you do it a time or two. Mine stays on and makes good ballast, unless I'm using the box blade which is infrequently.

I went with the EA box blade. Top tier stuff, should last 3 life times. Beefy.

I went with turf tires. Plenty of grip unless your in the mud. Personally, if it's muddy I just avoid tractor work because I can. The turfs do have great traction, wide enough to give a little extra stability, and tear up the lawn less than any of the others.

I got the 54" bucket, should have gotten the 60". I've not yet found a bucket load of anything that the LA534 couldn't lift so I should have gotten the bigger bucket. Live and learn.

I had searched and found folks not liking the spin around seat they use with the BH77. The 2650 comes with a 'comfort seat', but when they swap out the base for the spin around parts, I hear you loose a lot of the 'comfort' and it sits higher. I had them leave my seat as it would come if it didn't have the backhoe. It is comfy. I bought a used backhoe seat for the BH77, like what would come on standard if you get the cabbed version with the second seat outside the cab. I don't have it installed yet but that's the plan. For now I just sit on the backrest of the regular seat and it's actually pretty good ergonomics and gives a really good view of the bucket.

I have no input on tillers or mowers. I don't till and I mow with a Ferris ZT.

Good luck, I think you'll be impressed with what that 2650 can do.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I have somewhat the same dilemma on the tires as you OP. I originally wanted R1 ag tires, but have since started leaning toward R4s, largely for stability. I also like the idea that the R4 would be more puncture-resistant.

I do worry about their performance in mud though. Much of what I do with a backhoe is draining wet areas.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Had R4's on the L2501, R3's on the B2601 & now R3's on the B2650.
R4's worked good for the loader work I was doing, most missions near done. R3's suit my property better now, lots of turf, hard packed soil & driveway. R3's are great for pushing snow. The Heavy Wet Mud areas are avoided as nothing good happens out there.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I got some odd looks from my salesman when I specified R1's, but no argument.

I'm willing to listen to advice based on experience from about anyone, but when it comes right down to it, I want what I want and as long as I'm signing the check, just shut up and do it.

I've walked right out of more than one showroom because the sales staff insisted on telling me what I "wanted".

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I got some odd looks from my salesman when I specified R1's, but no argument.

I'm willing to listen to advice based on experience from about anyone, but when it comes right down to it, I want what I want and as long as I'm signing the check, just shut up and do it.

I've walked right out of more than one showroom because the sales staff insisted on telling me what I "wanted".
I had a similar experience when I told them I wanted turfs. He said everybody else gets the R4s. I said "Great, I'll take those as long as everyone else is paying for it". He laughed and said "turfs it is".