Super Split Wagon....

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
So, after finally getting fed up with lifting the front of my splitter on and off a ball, and having to make 2 trips to move splitting stuff around....

On another forum a friend modified his SS to be a 4 wheel steerable wagon. He put a fair bit of time and parts into it and it looks OE. Very nice job.

I wanted something more plug and play... and Ive been looking for about a year for something suitable to mount the SS onto. I looked at all sorts of carts, wagons, trailers.... building something.

Enter whats called an on deck roofing cart.

Mounting it to the wagon was pretty straight forward, cut off the axle and front leg...

Grab a couple pieces of scrap and set it on the wagon...

Attachments

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Worked almost exactly like I wanted...

My only concern will be the side rails of the roofing cart. I THINK Ill be able to stand comfortably close enough to the working area to split without feeling like I'm reaching or bending. Ive covered them with pool noodles for now, but if im too far away, Ill have to modify the side rails....

Attachments

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Looks good Eipo! It is nice to have a loader on your Kubota to aid in your fab job. Got to have a Kubota!!

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
That’s using the old bean! Good deal. My motto is, “work smarter, not harder”. I took a different approach to my firewood management. I have about 15 industrial material baskets that I fill with split wood. These can be moved with my Kubota’s pallet forks and took to the house for use in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I tried the pallet thing one year. Spent a fair bit of money and time making baskets to sit on pallets...

I ended up with almost twice whats in the picture...

Then this happened...

It never froze. And rained pretty much all winter.

I went back to stacking and moving a years worth under a lean too next to the garage.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Looks good Eipo! It is nice to have a loader on your Kubota to aid in your fab job. Got to have a Kubota!!
That would have been a bigger job if I didn't have the tractor.

Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can I add something?
If you were to modify the splitter mount on the trailer an add a turntable with a position lock, (rotate right lock, rotate left lock), would that not make using it easier?

I've run it the same issue with my cement mixer, only being able to get to one side and dump to one side.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thats an interesting idea...

Splitting off the table right into the wagon is ideal for my set-up. I can fill half the wagon without having to toss a split as the splitter will push splits into the wagon.

Rotating the splitter 90 degrees would make getting to the work zone more difficult. Getting to either side isn't an issue, its going to be a matter of am I too far away from the work zone to remain comfortable. I can straddle the side of the splitter wagon, but then I'm rotated and semi trapped if an emergency arises....

It wont be much trouble, if I find I need the leg room, to run some angle back to the center of the splitter wagon and cut a section out of the side. The splitter beam will compensate for the strength lost from cutting a section out of the perimeter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh I got ya.

Oh then I change my answer, you need to alter the wagon to have a narrowed frame in the middle. :D

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
So getting about 10 cords through the splitter post mod... it's too uncomfortable leaning over the work area....

So I moved the splitter over and added additional work table space on the other side.

I didn't have a wide enough piece of hdpe sheet for the table, I'll get that this week.

sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Super Split. It's a kinetic splitter. Runs on a rack and pinion with 2 90# flywheels.

sent from a field