B7100HST , upgrading charging system

sinisterbiker

Sep 26, 2016
US
Looking for ideas and help upgrading the charging system on my b7100. Have read many added a alternator to replace the dynamo. Any help is appreciated. Ty.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am curious.... Why?
Have you added so much electrical load that the dynamo cannot keep up?
What voltage are you seeing with engine at operating RPM ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking for ideas and help upgrading the charging system on my b7100. Have read many added a alternator to replace the dynamo. Any help is appreciated. Ty.

I second Bruce's question.....why?

I have two rather bright lights on my B7100 and my dyno doesnt blink!

you are good to about 10 amps.......what cha planning?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Im along with sinesterbiker, I want to upgrade ***from*** the dyno ***to*** an alternator. I have reason, as Im sure the OP does as well.

I had seen alternator brackets on a sub compact kubota once but I think they came from a stationary engine design. Would love to find out what they were and how to get.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A B7100 is not the easiest to swap from dyno to alt for 2 reasons, space and drive ability.

You can mount one to the side, that will make you either alter your side panel or remove it all together, add brackets and then a longer belt.

Or you can mount it on top of the engine tight to the injection pump.
You will need to make a complete set of brackets rework the drive pulleys to run it, as you will need double pulleys at at least one connection point to drive the new alternator.

With either install if you want it to work 100% efficiently without the draw of also still turning against the magnets of the dyno, you'll need to disassemble the dyno and gut it, and reassemble it as that is the fan drive.

I chose to add one to the side as it was simple and painless, and I had already used up the space above the injection pump for a stop solenoid so it shuts down with the key instead of the throttle.
It just required cutting a hole in the side panel.
It's been that was ~5 years and never an issue.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Some time ago I did some research for someone who wanted to do the same thing.

What I discovered was that John Deere used a 3 wire dynamo with a 35 amp output or about 3 x the typical two wire Kubota dynamo. You would have to use a JD regulator/rectifier but it seemed to be the most compact way to increase charging output.

I also came across a B7100 style water pump dynamo with 3 wires. Someone may be able to read the name across the photo below.

Another member posted a very complete description of how he added more charging to his B7100 which you may be able to find with a search.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8620&highlight=alternator
Dave

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

sinisterbiker

Sep 26, 2016
US
I am curious.... Why?

Have you added so much electrical load that the dynamo cannot keep up?

What voltage are you seeing with engine at operating RPM ?
Anytime I use my tractor with the lights on and then shut it off stopping at the neighbors it won't start , I need to jump it. When not using the lights it starts ok.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Anytime I use my tractor with the lights on and then shut it off stopping at the neighbors it won't start , I need to jump it. When not using the lights it starts ok.

Sounds to me like you have battery issues more than charging issues.

Creig

Equipment
1986 B7200HST-D, 1640A FEL, MMM, B2660 front mounted blower, Sims cab
May 24, 2017
Michigan
I was browsing Youtube and came across this video of a B7100 for sale. If you go to about the 2:00 minute mark, you can see that someone added a full size alternator to the tractor and managed to make it fit without any obvious alterations to the sheet metal. The video is from 2014, so I doubt you can get any info from whomever uploaded it, but it may give you an idea of what they used and how they mounted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKuCdQzMbY