Z400's - Pros and Cons?

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
It's time for a new mower and we looked at Z's today. Other than 300 for a suspension seat forget about pricing, real world experience is what I'm hoping for. One acre of bumpy flat ground with occasional pasture although there is a brush hog here. TIA, thanks in advance.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I'm on the 2nd season with the Z400 so far I like it, for rough terrain the optional suspension seat would be nice.
other than that it runs and works great, it's built solid.

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
I just got a 421 60 inch with the suspension seat to replace my 2001 Toro timecutterz. Love it so far. This is twice the mower the Toro was. More power means more spinning out on an incline, but my Toro had loaded rear tires. But it will mow way faster than it did with a 52 inch deck. We mow 4 acres every week.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I bought one yesterday but it won't be here until next week so one more time with the old JD before a review. Not really sure why but he didn't want me picking it up myself and they are near by. Cash sale and the better half was a little PO'd. Might send her in today and force the issue.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
It's home, neighbor pulled in and asked if I was going into business. Nope. It's faster than the old JD, fast enough to be bumpy so might get the sprung seat. The overhung deck, which we wanted, will take some getting used to. I don't know if it's the longer wheelbase, the new blades or both but the cut is better than before. My wife actually ran it better than I but she has more ZT time than I do. More later.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
It's home, neighbor pulled in and asked if I was going into business. Nope. It's faster than the old JD, fast enough to be bumpy so might get the sprung seat. The overhung deck, which we wanted, will take some getting used to. I don't know if it's the longer wheelbase, the new blades or both but the cut is better than before. My wife actually ran it better than I but she has more ZT time than I do. More later.
They do a nice cut with sharp blades, I think the higher blade rpm helps also

Jabo262

Equipment
L3240 Z421
Jun 2, 2019
Manitoba Interlake
I brought home a new Z421 yesterday. Been cutting acreages for the past 25 years and this is my first zero turn. I don’t know why I waited so long to make the switch. I don’t have experience to say that is a great machine but it is orange and I’m very impressed. I used to cut with my L3240 with 72 land pride finishing mower . My current yard site had been a cattle feed lot that has been slowly reverting back to grassland. Very rough and of course the grass grows like crazy. My first swing at it with with Z421 and I am cutting my time down by 30% . Yes the suspension seat is worth every penny.

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
What is an "overhung deck"?:confused: (Trying hard not to make a joke of that name....:D)
I assume he means the deck hangs out past the wheels on the side. Personally I love it that way, you can mow closer to ditches and posts.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Yup, extends past the wheels. My other mower matched the wheel width hence my need for a learning curve. Knocked down some pasture grass that was too stemmy for the horses yesterday. Bumpy but a heck of a lot faster.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Here's the cons; The ROPS is not designed to fold all the way down, probably just take it off. It has so much power that if blows chaff all over. Nice problem to have but i might put a mulching kit on, no side discharge.