New turf tires for the kubota L2501 almost ends in disaster.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I would also like to point out that there is no state law indicating that the front loader be lowered or secured to the deck.
There is no fines for not securing the loader.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We have some pretty good trolls on this forum:eek:
Not sure what you mean by troll, and sparky, if you think maybe some posts are overkill,
think of it as a teachable moment. Many people read the forum that don't post, so a lot of the details that come out in the back and forth may be useful to them even if not to the OP.. Manyof us have already learned things the hard way, and would hate to see something fatal happen to someone else if making a federal case out of it would help. Not sure emphasizing the danger is the same as being a troll. Generally not meant unkindly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would also like to point out that there is no state law indicating that the front loader be lowered or secured to the deck.
There is no fines for not securing the loader.
I'm sorry to tell you, your wrong!

The loader is not mechanical secured so it must be tied down.

From the regs:

"ァ393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
*Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

Guidance: No. However, the accessory equipment must be properly secured using locking pins or similar devices in order to prevent either the accessory equipment or the item of construction equipment itself from shifting during transport.

*Question 2: How should I secure the accessories for an item of construction equipment which weighs 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more, if the accessory devices would extend beyond the width of the trailer if they are lowered to the deck for transport?

Guidance: The accessory devices (plows, trencher bars, and the like) may be transported in a raised position, provided they are designed to be transported in that manner. However, the accessory equipment must be locked in place for transport to ensure that neither the accessories nor the equipment itself shifts during transport.

*Question 3: A tractor loader-backhoe weighing over 10,000 pounds is being transported on a trailer. The loader and backhoe accessories are each equipped with locking devices or mechanisms that prevent them from moving up and down and from side-to-side while the construction equipment is being transported on the trailer. Must these accessories also be secured to the trailer with chains?

Guidance: No. However, if the construction equipment does not have a means of preventing the loader bucket, backhoe, or similar accessories from moving while it is being transported on the trailer, then a chain would be required to secure those accessories to the trailer."

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We have some pretty good trolls on this forum:eek:
Several members have called you out on towing with the loader raised, several have been very polite, and you call us trolls.

I will give you one warning, I won't allow you to do it again. :mad:

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky

From the regs:

"ァ393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
*Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

Guidance: No. However, the accessory equipment must be properly secured using locking pins or similar devices in order to prevent either the accessory equipment or the item of construction equipment itself from shifting during transport.

*Question 2: How should I secure the accessories for an item of construction equipment which weighs 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more, if the accessory devices would extend beyond the width of the trailer if they are lowered to the deck for transport?

Guidance: The accessory devices (plows, trencher bars, and the like) may be transported in a raised position, provided they are designed to be transported in that manner. However, the accessory equipment must be locked in place for transport to ensure that neither the accessories nor the equipment itself shifts during transport.

*Question 3: A tractor loader-backhoe weighing over 10,000 pounds is being transported on a trailer. The loader and backhoe accessories are each equipped with locking devices or mechanisms that prevent them from moving up and down and from side-to-side while the construction equipment is being transported on the trailer. Must these accessories also be secured to the trailer with chains?

Guidance: No. However, if the construction equipment does not have a means of preventing the loader bucket, backhoe, or similar accessories from moving while it is being transported on the trailer, then a chain would be required to secure those accessories to the trailer."
Those are laws on equipment over 10,000 pounds.
My tractor doesn’t fit into the category you referenced.

There is no law on privately owned equipment under 10,000.

If there is you can post it.

The only load securement laws we have are for vehicles over 10,000 pounds.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky

From the regs:

Question 1 is correct and applies to my tractor and I did have the lockout activated on the loader.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yeah they spew incorrect information like ***8220;like that is a $2,000 fine***8221;.
Please stop with your B.S. or I will just delete you and your posts.

You need to improve your reading comprehension, before you make more of a fool out of yourself than you already have!

up here hauling an unsecured load (Loader not tied down) like that would give you a heavy fine, $2k range. :eek:
Didn't say a thing about then fineing in your state or not, have no clue, but you say they don't fine stupidity, congrats!

Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

I didn't put the rest of the regulation that notes the hydraulic cylinders are not mechanical securing devices.

I know this doesn't mean anything to you and I personally could care less!
I just just hope others reading this get the point that it's not only illegal to haul a tractor with the loader up in the air it's just plain dangerous!

It this harsh of me...YEP... Had enough of you calling people trolls!

Last edited:

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Please stop with your B.S. or I will just delete you and your posts.

You need to improve your reading comprehension, before you make more of a fool out of yourself than you already have!

It this harsh of me...YEP... Had enough of you calling people trolls!
What about all the other incorrect information like “the loader needs to be lowered to the deck”?

I already checked my state laws and there is no law requiring the loader to be lowered to the deck.

I asked for guidance on why I should lower the loader to the deck and what could be a worst case senecio could be.

Someone posted that everyone was “busting my balls” same thing as “trolling” because the loader wasn’t lowered to the deck.

I asked for guidance on this and with nobody here helped except one person brought up a good point about raising the center of gravity, even tho there is people “here with experience”.

I mean I still don’t understand, what can happen if I don’t lower the loader to the deck?

-No $2,000 fine.
-No ticket.
-No state law.
-DOT officer tells me to my face it is okay to leave the loader off the deck.

Instead I am supposed to believe what I read on the internet? With no explanation on why I shouldn’t?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have never heard of any state that allows a hydraulic attached implement to be elevated and unsecured on a trailer, your location must be special.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Forget about looking the information up on the internet. Go to any truckstop and ask for the "Little Green Book". In it it will tell you the correct way to secure equipment to a truck or trailer. In it you will find that the movable part of the tractor must be secured to the trailer. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. You are wrong to run down the road with the loader arms unsecured.

Does it seam silly and the answer is: Yes but that is the rule. Will a DOT man stop you and write a ticket? Most likely not but he could and if he is so inclined write you a very large ticket. Most DOT tickets are very expensive.

I once got an Out of Service ticket. If I had not corrected the problem the truck could not be moved. Failure to have the problem corrected, and the ticket signed off by the repair man, would result in a fine of over $10,000.00 per day after the grace period. You must send in the signed ticket within so many days to avoid the fine.

The reason for my Out of Service was I attached the brake away with the safety chain hook on my gooseneck.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Rdrett,

I'd like your opinion on how you like the turf tires over the Ag tires for the tasks you got them for. Having both is a good combo but a bit of a job to swap.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Rdrett,

I'd like your opinion on how you like the turf tires over the Ag tires for the tasks you got them for. Having both is a good combo but a bit of a job to swap.
I filled them with a little over 30 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each tire. About 250 pounds each and I drove it over the lawn and it didn’t make a mark.
Unbelievable how much smoother it rides with the turfs compared to the AG tires. Also it seems to have a lot more torque to the wheels with the smaller turf tires.

Also one thing to note is that it lowered the tractor quite a bit, I lost 1 3/4 of an inch ground clearance. I also lost about 6 inches total on the width compared to the AG tires set at max tread width.

Hopefully the lower center of gravity will make up for the narrower tread width.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Forget about looking the information up on the internet. Go to any truckstop and ask for the "Little Green Book". In it it will tell you the correct way to secure equipment to a truck or trailer. In it you will find that the movable part of the tractor must be secured to the trailer. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. You are wrong to run down the road with the loader arms unsecured.

Does it seam silly and the answer is: Yes but that is the rule. Will a DOT man stop you and write a ticket? Most likely not but he could and if he is so inclined write you a very large ticket. Most DOT tickets are very expensive.

I once got an Out of Service ticket. If I had not corrected the problem the truck could not be moved. Failure to have the problem corrected, and the ticket signed off by the repair man, would result in a fine of over $10,000.00 per day after the grace period. You must send in the signed ticket within so many days to avoid the fine.

The reason for my Out of Service was I attached the brake away with the safety chain hook on my gooseneck.
Does the book give you state laws or federal?
I looked everywhere and could not find any state law, the only load securement law I could find for the state of Kentucky was about prevention of coal from falling off trucks.

I got pulled over by DOT in the state of Kentucky with my front loader raised about 3 foot off the deck so my loader didn’t hit my binders that were securing the tractor.
I also had a box blade lifted off the deck.
His complaint was my box blade was swaying back and forth. He was worried about the “locking pins” coming loose with the swaying of the implement.

All he wanted done was the box blade secured so it didn’t sway back and forth.
I bungee corded the implement to prevent sway and that satisfied the DOT officer.

I asked him about the loader and implement needed to be lowered to the deck and he said that was a myth.
I asked him about securing the loader separately and he said that was a myth.
He said that the loader had “locking pins” securing the loader frame to the tractor and with these “locking pins” in place securing the loader to the tractor no separate tie downs needed to be added.

If someone could post the KRS statue number I would love to read through it.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Regs or No Regs, it's safe to tow with loader down & secured, all day long

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I should know better than listen to stuff off the internet.

Went through a Kentucky state police checkpoint in Frankfort on Memorial Day weekend and my rig was inspected. No issues with loader raised off the deck.

Moved my tractor down to Irvine Saturday and lowered the loader down on my grader blade and my toothbar scraped the tow vehicle during a tight turn and damaged the tow vehicle.
Should of had the loader raised in the air.
I should of known better to listen to people who don’t know the law and spews stuff they read off the internet.
I will not be making that mistake again.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I always lower the loader and go forward till it hits the front of the trailer, then set the brake. This ensure the tractor can't move forward no matter what. I use HD tie downs at each corner. I don't set the BH bucket on the trailer. I set it in transport position and use the transport locking pins to hold it there. That's what they're for, that's why Kubota designs them with locking pins. Would it be a little safer to drop the bucket and tie it down separately, yes. Is that extra little bit of extra safety margin statistically significant, probably not. Not transporting the tractor in the first place is by far the safest way to go. Everything we do entails a certain amount of risk, just make sure you can afford the level risk you take (staying within the legal confines of course).

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I should know better than listen to stuff off the internet.

Went through a Kentucky state police checkpoint in Frankfort on Memorial Day weekend and my rig was inspected. No issues with loader raised off the deck.

Moved my tractor down to Irvine Saturday and lowered the loader down on my grader blade and my toothbar scraped the tow vehicle during a tight turn and damaged the tow vehicle.
Should of had the loader raised in the air.
I should of known better to listen to people who don’t know the law and spews stuff they read off the internet.
I will not be making that mistake again.
Here's what I get from this post, if it is legal (or supposedly legal), than it must be safe...lol. There are lots of smart, informed people on this forum. If you would listen instead of defending your bad decisions, you could probably learn something. Safety first and foremost!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rdrett, you continue hauling your tractor with the loader in the air, you'll soon have more than a scraped toe vehicle. Probably be more like scrapped toe vehicle!

Hopefully your apparent narcissistic personality won't cause you too much pain.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I thought it was kind of strange that it would be legal to haul a tractor with the loader in the air in Kentucky, every other state I know of it's illegal, so I sent an email and asked Kentucky state police exactly that.

Attachments