New BX23 - how many hours is no longer new?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
New Dealer BX23 - how many hours is no longer new?

I’m waiting on deliver of a new BX23. (Dealer prepping, financing paper not signed yet). This is a a dream purchase and one that is enormously significant for my family and I. We haven’t purchased a new vehicle of any sort for over a decade, no big toys (boats, quads, motorcycles, etc) and are forgoing purchasing an RV to make this happen.

Presently, the dealer has 3 BX23s sitting on the lot. Was told I can’t pick which one. The one that looks next to go has some obivious use. I’m guessing probably customer demo use at the dealership. Nothing major - but also noticeable compared to the machines it’s sitting next to.

I’m wondering how many hours is “too many” from a refusal perspective when I go to pick it up.

As an aside, I’m already dissatisfied with how the sale is going. I’m not expecting to be treated like royalty - but in spending over $23k (with options) I frankly expect more. I’ve had intermittent calls back from the salesman, who on whole doesn’t seem to be overly interested (actually doesn’t seem interested at all) in making a sale or helping determine exactly what I need (frankly - if it were not for YouTube videos I’d not know anything about the availability of the options I’ve purchased - Messicks really deserves the commission on this sale,...), he also seems “old school” - instead of showing me numbers on a computer screen, writes them on the back of a manilla folder and adds up price with a calculator, when I’ve asked about cost for options they’re looked up in a wrinkled book or pulled from memory. I’m 49 - so not a snowflake snob, but this is 2019 and a $23k purchase. This is at a MAJOR dealership mind you.

Anyhow, I have done dozens and dozens of hours of research over several years. I’m set on the machine (BX23 w/ 54” drive over deck) and don’t want to be “that guy”. I also don’t want to be treated 2nd rate because I’m not buying and $50-100k machine either.

Bottom line, I don’t want to come off like an a-hole (sorry couldn’t think of another term) - but if I end up with a tractor that had a couple of hours someone else put on it, pushing it to “see what it could do” (I’m extremely careful with equipment and try to baby things to “break them in”) I’m likely to walk away. I’m just wondering where the “reasonable” line is. $23k is a LOT of money to me and will still buy a new car these days. I’m sold on Kubota products, but so far, their dealer support seems very lacking.

Thanks for any input,

Calvin

Last edited:

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Mine had 5 hours, and was new. Had the keys already in it when I was just looking at it for the first time. It was definitely driven around, the bucket had some paint missing from the lip, and the tow bar was all rusted up and was dirty, so it was used to move stuff around, but when it showed up at my house, it was beautiful, had a new towbar, they definitely got it looking un touched.
It was a different experience than buying a car. I did not feel they were over the top wanting to sell too me. But was very happy with the experience. I imagine that is just tractor buying, whether it's $25,000 or $250,000. Good luck with your purchase.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you don't feel comfortable with the situation, be it price, wear and tear, sales person or what ever just hesitate with going further. If someone from the dealership doesn't contact you and inquire, just buy from someone else. If they do inquire, tell them why you are hesitating. Maybe they just need to be enlightened.

You're the boss, you write them the check. They need to understand that. On the other hand you have to be sure to be reasonable also.

Wait until you're happy. Don't buy something because you think you have to right now, and then be questioning things later.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Agree with D2....I would walk on those clowns! I have NEVER heard anyone claim you can't pick the tractor you are buying! Complete rubbish.

Find a dealer interested in EARNING your business!

Old fart

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Elk, Wa.
Agree with D2....I would walk on those clowns! I have NEVER heard anyone claim you can't pick the tractor you are buying! Complete rubbish.

Find a dealer interested in EARNING your business!
Agreed!! If that’s how their sales team operates, I’d be real concerned about what kind of service you’d get after the sale.....

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Re: New Dealer BX23 - how many hours is no longer new?

Messicks really deserves the commission on this sale,...
I actually bought my BX23S from Messicks. When I was first looking for one, the salesman from one of their other locations was working with me. I just didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling from him, and was about to go to another dealer. Then I decided to email Neil directly. What a world of difference. He was wonderful to work with. Talked to me about what I was going to do with it. What he would and would not get. He even advised me to get wheel weights and not fill the tires, as it would probably be better for my application. Since this was right after they came out, he only had like 2 of them. He had the other location give me the one out of their showroom, which had an option I didn't order, but was already on it... the BH thumb. He didn't even charge me any extra for it. He really is as decent as he seems on the videos. I recommend him to anyone who asks me about a Kubota purchase.

What I am trying to say is to check with the manager/guy in charge. Just because you are not getting that warm and fuzzy from your salesman, doesn't mean the whole dealership is like that. It really could only take an email or phone call to get a totally different experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you're inclined to go back, tell them matter a factly, either I pick the machine or you lose the sale!, if you don't get a 100% satisfactory answer, Walk away, go visit another dealer!
Some dealers are just not worthy of anyone's business. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am in favor of picking your own AFTER you drive it. I do that with cars and trucks, and went around and drove 4 different B2650s with cabs because the noise level was different in different ones, and the smoothness of the transmission was different. I ended up taking a new one put together out of a crate, but I actually think the best one was at another dealership. I think it is pretty unlikely that a few hours on a new tractor is a problem. Now if it has sat out in the weather for a couple of years that is another issue.

nsbohn

May 6, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Hey Gents, new to the Forum, have a few points to add:

1. Up to about 25 hours is still considered new for most Kubota products. 25 sounds like a lot to me, but that's what I've heard.

2. The break-in period on your tractor IS important, but consider WHY the machine has hours. Was it used as a demo, meaning it was just moving the bucket around and driving it around the parking lot? Was it used in a parade or toured around a golf course all afternoon so lots of people could see it? Those aren't bad hours to have on the machine. Most dealers are pretty particular about HOW you use their demo machine, because they know they have to sell it and don't want to have problems.

3. Of course your dealer wants to sell the unit he's had in stock longest, first. By no means is he obligated to do so. If you have a legitimate concern, then pick a different unit. That said, the bar for "legitimate concern" is probably high than you think. It's a tractor. It's made to be used and abused. It'll be fine.

side note: $23k sounds like a lot to me for a BX, even with a belly mower. Did you add a grapple as well? Send me a PM with all the options you selected and I'll see what we would sell that for locally, so you know you're getting a fair deal.

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
side note: $23k sounds like a lot to me for a BX, even with a belly mower. Did you add a grapple as well? Send me a PM with all the options you selected and I'll see what we would sell that for locally, so you know you're getting a fair deal.
PM sent - thank you for the help.

-Calvin

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I think it is pretty unlikely that a few hours on a new tractor is a problem. Now if it has sat out in the weather for a couple of years that is another issue.
Very good point. I imagine the BX's turn over fairly quickly - but is there any way to know for sure what date/year a tractor was produced on?

Thanks!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Bottom line, your money, your tractor. If you want a new one out of the crate, ask for a new one out of the crate. If they don't want to sell you that, and somebody else does, then buy it somewhere else.

My guess would be the salesman has been told to sell oldest first, because that's how dealerships like to manage inventory and most people don't care. But if you do care, there's someone in the dealership who can bend that policy, you just need to find out who it is. It's all part of the deal price, it might mean they don't give you something else, but if a new-new not a nearly-new tractor is what you want, then no reason you can't buy that.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I' go somewhere else....or at least talk to the dealership owner/manager and let him know how you feel....there's plenty of other dealerships. When i was considering a new one i was underwhelmed by one of my local dealerships also...in the end i would of bought from Messicks or Barlows, each were very responsive and could deliver a machine to me cheaper than my local dealership. At the very least if you see one on the lot you want vs another tell them if you want to sell me one that's the one or i'm walking...

JG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I wouldn't buy from there.
What's the 'you can't pick' BS ??!!! Buying a tractor is NO different than a car, pickup or house !!!
I'd actually email Kubota USA about it ....they may drop them as a dealer.

Here's another dealer diddy. NO merchant that allows credit cards can LIMIT you to say 1K, 3K, 5K ! They are required under the 'terms of service' by VISA, MC, etc. to let you put up to the max of your card towards ANY purchase.
So make your best deal to get the lowest 'out the door' price THEN pull out the plastic and say 'I'm paying with this card'. They will try the 'limit crap', just ask to borrow the phone, call the card company and if the dealer still refuses your card, VISA or MC WILL freeze the dealer from accepting ALL purchase using their cards.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Like everyone else says your money is green anyplace, they aint the only dealer in town

Diver 6

Equipment
L3800 HST
Mar 11, 2017
Dade City, FL
My first thought would be to tell them to pound sand and walk away. However, I would talk to Mgt. and give them a chance to come on board. One thing I would definitely let them know is I am picking out MY tractor. My money, my tractor. As far as hours, if you want one with 0 hours, you may have to wait indefinitely for a crated one to come in. When you buy a new car, it usually has a few miles from previous test drives. Where as 5 hours is probably not a big deal on the tractor, that’s a lot of test driving. Bottom line, again, My money, my tractor. If you are not 100% satisfied, make them make you happy or go elsewhere. Someone wants your business bad enough to make you happy

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There is no romance in the finance.....:D

Here's my take. I'm on my 11th Kubota tractor. The last one I bought used with 3500 on the clock so it don't count but...

Every Kubota I've bought has had a few hours on the meter. They get moved around and hours add up.

I only ever ordered one, that was my M9 with a cab. I waited 4 months for that one and when I took delivery it had 5 on the meter too.

I always dealt with one dealer but switched when the dealership changed hands and I no longer cared for the sales staff. The dealer I deal with now and have bought a couple Kubota's from, they only have one salesperson and it happens to be the owner. I like that. I like dealing with the main man, not a salesman on a draw plus.

Over the years we have actually became friends and I can ask him anything and he always gives me a straight answer. People like that as evidenced by the number of tractors he sells, 150 units last year and most were a bit bigger than yours, he sells the ag market mostly.

Was there the other day for filters for my new M9 (which I didn't buy from him, I actually bought it from a JD dealer a couple hundred miles from here. I was looking for a particular used tractor, a M9, pre emissions, 4wd, hydraulic shuttle and they had one so I bought it. and when I was there the other day I was up front and told him what I bought and from whom. No problem, he had his parts and service guy enter the serial number and model number in his database so if I need something I can call and they will get it, I have an open account there.

I believe in supporting an independent dealer who appreciates my business and I don't like dealing with a chrome and glass dealership where you take a number, not me.

Don't know if I'd walk away but I'd sure as hell have a frank discussion with the main man about his employee's attitude. Do it in person. Face to face is always better. Gets the point across much better.

Speaking of parts, I need to visit tomorrow, they have the parts I ordered 2 days ago in.

New car or new tractor, both will have some run time on them. Fact of life and car or tractor, the warranty starts when you take delivery.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Calvin, sent you a pm on 5/6 with a purchasing suggestion. Just wanted to make sure you got it.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
A lot of good advice being given. If this is the only Kubota dealership that is reasonably close, you have to decide what battles you want to fight. I think it is absolutely within reason to talk with a manager or owner if you don't want to take the one with a few hours on it already. Perhaps there is another sales person that works there that you feel more comfortable with? I can't imagine them saying no to a sale over taking a tractor out of order, that's just silly.

My one and only tractor purchase was a real nice experience and I know mine had a few hours on it from test driving and whatnot, but it in no way affected the performance or quality of the machine now 5 years later. These were break-in hours that got me to the real work hours much more quickly. Just gotta look at the bright side.

Last edited: