Searching for a vineyard attachment

Waystone

May 3, 2019
Sebastopol
Hey all,

I started a vineyard management company focusing on small vineyards. I decided to buy a Kubota compact tractor, and the salesman I've been working with recommended the B2601, which seemed to meet all my needs. A year later, as I'm trying to buy the one last attachment I need, I'm being told that the 2601 isn't powerful enough to handle any attachments that are available. I'm looking for an in-row cultivator, blade, or mower for berm management to control weeds growing under the vines. I seem to be limited by the 4.7 GPM hydraulics and the 25.5 hp of my 2601, but there must be something out there that my tractor can handle. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate some input.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was wondering if an old fashion sickle bar mower would work for you. You might need to resize the 3 point to fit the small tractor.

I had to change the pins on a hay rake so my small tractor could pick up the rake high enough to maneuver around the hay field.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I just googled Everything Attachments and they have a mower that you could use on your tractor.

RDB

Equipment
2019 L2501 HST with Loader
Jun 13, 2019
Brandon, Ms
SABRE SAMURAI CUTTER, cutthat.com

This might be inline for what you need.

RDB

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is vineyard mowers that would work, but the issue is the L2501 does not have a mid PTO to power it.
So you're stuck with using a hydraulic powered unit, you could run it with a hydraulic power pack but here again you don't have a high speed mid PTO to power the pump.

You need a tractor model with a mid PTO. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
There is vineyard mowers that would work, but the issue is the L2501 does not have a mid PTO to power it.
So you're stuck with using a hydraulic powered unit, you could run it with a hydraulic power pack but here again you don't have a high speed mid PTO to power the pump.

You need a tractor model with a mid PTO. ;)
I am pretty sure he said he had a B2601 which should have the mid pto

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
There is a guy locally who has made some interesting custom cultivators. His stuff is used in hedging cedar, blueberry, and raspberry operations around here. When I was a kid he made a 3 point setup for my grandfather's farm and it worked amazing. Basically cut off weeds about an inch or two below soil level, and had a rear "agitation" wheel - worked best at speed. I'll see if he has a website or is even still in business.

RDB

Equipment
2019 L2501 HST with Loader
Jun 13, 2019
Brandon, Ms
I have a Samurai.

It is not going to cut grass. Small saplings yes.

Be certain to get the break-a-way optional mount.

Dave

How well does it do Dave? Any issues with it? I was interested in one to trim back our trails on the lease mostly cutting 1/4" to 1 1/2" stuff overhanging. I think the GPMs on the hydraulic on my L2501 will run it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
How well does it do Dave? Any issues with it? I was interested in one to trim back our trails on the lease mostly cutting 1/4" to 1 1/2" stuff overhanging. I think the GPMs on the hydraulic on my L2501 will run it.
If the stuff you want to cut is dead and has been to the point of being hard and tough then it struggles to cut it.

1-1/2" seems too large but I never measured anything.

I like it but it is not a perfect solution but I do not know what is for that type of application.

Serious farmers use their tracked excavators to push back the growth rather than cutting it.

I rigged up a 3 gpm sprayer on the back of an old garden tractor and have both a wand and a single nozzle which sprays Roundup 11'. I drive along the edge of our trails and spray the stone fences which is where the growth on our land is happening.

I am trying to stop stuff from growing in the first place.

The Samurai manufacturer is excellent to deal with.

I bought my cutter before the break-a-way mount was available. My tractor was breaking bolts on the standard mount and was frustrating me. The break-a-way mount, now available, was only $100 more than the standard mount. I contacted the company and they agreed to have me return the used standard mount and supply me with the new style paying only the $100. That level of customer service is rare!!

Dave

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
This thread got me looking as we have 2 rows, 20 vines total and need something . I just use my Sthil weed eater . I found DR makes a fence row mower for Cat 1 tractors and only a little over a grand.