L3901 and L3301

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Glad I found this thread... was beginning to think my tractor was some unloved, bastardized sub model that would not get much support.

I have the 3901, FEL, BH77, and 3pt w/BB. My first tractor and all working great after putting 60-some-odd hours on it. I've had 3 or 4 regen "events" which all cleared themselves after continuing to operate as normal.
I agree that the thing whines a lot. To me though it's a whine from the power steering when I turn it to lock.

Had a contractor stop by to admire my tractor and he said that I'd save a lot of wear and tear on the front end (and likely reduce this 'power steering sound') by swapping out my front AG tires with old truck tires, along with putting the tractor in 4WD only when truly needed. I have very sandy soil so the AG tires were definitely a necessity, but I no longer leave it in 4WD just for the hell of it. Hard to know if this will really dividends long term, but figured it would be worth sharing the story.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I was told by the dealer that keeping it out of 4WD keeps wear and tear off the tires (even AGs) and drive train, but that it was beefy enough to keep in 4WD all the time if I chose to deal with the wear issues.

Putting vehicle tires on the front is a waste of time and energy. Even light truck tires would be pushed under loads it carries. You'd have to have at least Load Range E-F to try, and it's almost impossible to find the right diameter to make your 4WD work at all.

I'd only do the vehicle tire swap if it was on hard surfaces all the time and loading loose materials that are easy to scoop and move. Then you don't need the 4WD and you can burn up cheaper tires.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
You do NOT want to put any other size of tire that what is on it already, as your front ring and pinion are matched to turn the same speed as your rear ring and pinion if you're in 4wd. Putting a wrong size tire on front or rear can cause catastrophic damage in the front axle and/or rear end

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
You do NOT want to put any other size of tire that what is on it already, as your front ring and pinion are matched to turn the same speed as your rear ring and pinion if you're in 4wd. Putting a wrong size tire on front or rear can cause catastrophic damage in the front axle and/or rear end
I don't think he was suggesting to put a smaller/larger tire on, I believe his point was that going with a tire with much less biting tread would allow for more nature slippage, thus preventing any strain on the front axle.

For me this really isn't a viable option since I need the aggressive grip of the AGs... at times even up front.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
i was told in my environment to leave it in 4wd, it wont hurt anything. now he said if i take it out and down the road put it in 2wd.

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Interesting. What type of ground do you have?

Even in my sandy environment, when moving slowly and cranking the wheel the noise from the power steering pump (I think???) whines quite a bit. I don't think there's any real problem per se, but it does sound like it's being worked.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

Even in my sandy environment, when moving slowly and cranking the wheel the noise from the power steering pump (I think???) whines quite a bit. I don't think there's any real problem per se, but it does sound like it's being worked.
Zippyslug, I haven't noticed any noise from the power steering side of the hydraulic pump when moving slow and turning. Is this with the bucket loaded? I do wear ear plug all the time when running the tractor, so that might be the reason. I have notice some noise when in mud and trying to turn the wheels. I will have to pay more attention next time I'm on the tractor.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

I have wet dirt with topsoil, etc with some bumps and hills. i tried my 2wd tonight in the yard it drove fine with no change in sound. when i went to back up into its parking place the tires slipped tearing up some sod. i could feel the tractor wasn't in 4wd while driving around it didn't feel so planted.

MattyNH

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT, R4 tires, Bradco Forks, Third function valve
Oct 15, 2014
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire
Hi A.O., yes it is tier 4, regeneration is a process by which the soot particles trapped in the dpf, diesel particulate filter, are burned off every now and then. I have it on my 3560 but you don't on the preceding model of the same size. Requires running the tractor at a high rpm for about 15 min. If you are already running at that rpm, process is not particularly noticeable, engine sounds a little different.

Can you help on my Caroni question? See thread in implements?
Do you have a additive tank like the new diesel pickups have?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Do you have a additive tank like the new diesel pickups have?
No, this current batch of Kubota compact tractors only uses the dpf, diesel particulate filter. There are some Kubota engines that have or will be designed to use the def, diesel exhaust fluid, as an additive like the newer pickup trucks, but none of ours do at the moment. There are some big tractors, combines etc that have the def tanks judging from neighbors conversations. What is or isn't installed on a tractor is really variable right now, you have to check each model. Depends on year and size of engine.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The HST on my BX2360 made much less noise after the first fluid change.

It's been a highly debated topic here, but I did full service at 50 hours.

I changed fluid, filter, HST screen, instead of just changing the filter. I use SUDT2 and Kubota filters.

I'm sure your machines have a much different filtration set up.

I bought mine new, but it probably sat on the lot for a while. Wanted to get any moisture out of it. Did the front axle then, too.;)

As someone mentioned, you need enough RPM's, and also putting it in a lower range can help the HST whine.

Best wishes with your new machines! :cool:

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Zippyslug, I haven't noticed any noise from the power steering side of the hydraulic pump when moving slow and turning. Is this with the bucket loaded?
No, it happens regardless of bucket loading... seems to be its "normal" sound when operating it. I don't specifically know that it's the power steering but it seems to be the case when I crank the wheel toward either lock and it very much reminds me of what an older car/pickup sound like when you are maneuvering it in, say, a parking lot. I don't believe it's a problem, but I did assume that all 3901's sounded like this but I don't have any others to compare it with.

Will be interesting to see if some sounds lessen after I do my service.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Anyone have pictures of the L3301/L3901 remote valve setup. I am looking at where they attach, what are they near, where, what, placement near the seat, 3 point, etc. I plan on doing some modifications to my L3901 and want to stay clear of future installed equipment. :D

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm pretty new to tractordom and wasn't able to find the answer when googling so here goes....
What do remote valves do for you?

Are these just to expand your options for implements?
At some point I'll be looking to pickup a wood splitter. While I know there are a ton of different ways these can be designed/actuated, will I need a remote valve setup for a splitter?

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm pretty new to tractordom and wasn't able to find the answer when googling so here goes....
What do remote valves do for you?

Are these just to expand your options for implements?
At some point I'll be looking to pickup a wood splitter. While I know there are a ton of different ways these can be designed/actuated, will I need a remote valve setup for a splitter?
Yes, for hydraulically operated equipment, hydraulic top links etc. As far as the splitter, do yourself a favor and get a stand alone splitter, not one that goes on the tractor. When I have my splitter running my tractor bucket is normally there to throw the splits into to take to the wood pile... cant do that if the splitter is hooked to the tractor..YMMV..