B2601 with LA435 FEL with Mechanical Self Leveling - Bucket issues?

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
Hey All,

I was just delivered a B2601 with the new LA435 swift-tach loader. Surprise to me is that it came with the mechanical self-leveling option installed, which is a cool feature for when I put pallet forks on the front.

However, with the bucket on the front, it limits how far back the bucket can tilt, and I can't seem to get a decent scoop when loading gravel/dirt.

Does anybody else have this issue, or have any recommendations on what I can do to make this a bit more bucket friendly?

cre73

Equipment
B2601
Jun 5, 2018
Central Illinois
I do not have this feature on mine but I am interested in the answers if you do get more responses. Also I do not believe I would be happy with not being able to curl back further. If you tried to move that load any distance you would lose half of it. TTT

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
loved my 2601...

dont think i would like this self leveling thing. too much spillage.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Is this feature there to level the bucket when picking up a load, or is it there to allow you to stay on the tractor when taking the bucket on or off?

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
^ The "Mechanical Self Leveling" feature is to keep the bucket (or pallet forks) level when raising and lowering the loader.

The "Swift-Tach" feature is what enables the operator to quickly remove the loader and it's hydraulics without leaving the tractor.

Both of these features were introduced for the B series tractors with the new LA435 loader, out in about March 2019 I'd say. All LA435 loaders have the Swift-Tach feature, but the Mechanical Self Leveling feature is an option.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have not given this suggestion a lot of thought but I wonder if moving the point where the self leveling link attaches to the loader frame would eliminate the feature.

I marked up your photo. Move the point with the yellow arrow to where the green arrow is. The closer you can get to the pin where the loader arms pivot the less self leveling there will be.

The self leveling link is just two bars with a spacer between them.

Dave

Attachments

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Where that pin is on the leveling part is there a corresponding hole in the loader frame under it that you can pin it to lock it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
Yeah, that's an option, relocating the top of the bucket hydraulics back to their stock position (shown on the left side of this pic)

However, the hydraulic fitting wouldn't fit in between the arms for the auto leveler, so I'd have to remove or figure out a new position for it, which I suppose isn't a big deal, but not a quick switch for when I put on the pallet forks.

WannaB2650

Equipment
none yet
May 25, 2019
Northeast Ohio

Not sure what's up with your loader.
Gotta believe it should work way better than that.
Can't believe dealer sent it out like that.

Also noticed that you have the new R14 tires??
Wondering what your comments are on those.
Pretty sure I want them ( not available ) for my 2650.

Purchase is on hold for now, mainly due to issues with salesman......

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
^The dealer didn't even know it had the self leveling kit on it. R14 tires, I have nothing to compare them to, this is my first tractor. Fine, I guess? They don't tear up my grass, even when I make tight turns with one wheel braked.

Last edited:

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
Well, after a few weeks of playing with it, I have to say, the self leveling kit is pretty neat, I used the bucket to haul a fridge from my workshop to my garage, and the ability to raise the loader without shifting the load is pretty handy.

As for scooping and dumping, I compared the amount of back tilt to other tractors, and at least at ground level, the back tilt is the same as as tractor that doesn't have the self leveling kit. However, when raising the loader, a non-self-leveling tractor's bucket starts pointing skyward, while mine tends to keep pointing slightly up.

I can easily remove the self leveling arms and revert it back to regular functionality, though I do need a couple of pins that are new for this generation of loader, and thus nobody has in stock or even in their system yet.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds excellent. I'm still waiting for the LA435 to ship to NZ, I'm assuming they have to drain the supply chain of the existing ones first. Local Kubota claim no knowledge of when it will arrive, which is annoying as they are running a deal with free loader + $500 off each additional implement (mower and maybe forks needed)

joemosfet

Jun 13, 2019
US
^Yeah, my dealer had to travel a few hours to another dealer in order to get me the B2601 with the new loader, evidently they're still not everywhere.

Chaz Sliger

Equipment
Kubota B2301 + Loader + Mid-Mount Mower
May 28, 2014
Portland, OR
You've probably already figured this out, BUT...
Since I'm looking at getting the Self-Leveler when I get Pallet Forks, my engineering brain got interested in the behavior you describe. If you look at the close-up posted by joemosfet, you'll notice that the leveling links move the attachment point for the bucket rams forward. This means that with the rams fully retracted the bucket is pivoted forward as if you had slightly extended the rams. On the other hand it probably means that the bucket can be rotated down further unless there is a hard stop built into it. Looks like I might have to re-evaluate getting one of these things...

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Yeah, that's an option, relocating the top of the bucket hydraulics back to their stock position (shown on the left side of this pic)

However, the hydraulic fitting wouldn't fit in between the arms for the auto leveler, so I'd have to remove or figure out a new position for it, which I suppose isn't a big deal, but not a quick switch for when I put on the pallet forks.
I see this is an old thread, but figured I’d try a Hail Mary if anyone might respond.

I also got the self leveling, which is great, but the the lack of curl can be a bit annoying when trying to carry a full bucket.
Did you find a good solution? If there is a way to easily disable and reattach it, that would be ideal. It’s too bad it’s not just adjusted back a bit. I’d happily give up some dump range for a bit more curl.