Tractor dies on hills

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
Ok, guys. put on your thinking caps. I have one for you. M8200 4x4 dies on off camber situations.(gets air in system) has 3/4 tank of fuel. just removed tank and cleaned it and blew through all lines.(except filler neck vent) also pounded out dent in the bottom of the tank so that the fuel gage would work properly. the low fuel light wouldn't come on and was getting erroneous fuel readings.
as long as its on the flats no problems. I have no safety switch on the seat. its when I'm cleaning out a pond or mowing a steep pond dam or ditch that it gets air. fuel pickup in tank broken or cracked? you can run it down to 1/8 tank no problem. get it on an incline and you're walking back. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
as a side note... m8200 has ran great since oil pump screws fell out and VIC, the magnets have kept the debris in place for over 400 hr! thanks guys!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Install a clear line from the tank to the filter and look for bubbles.
Then if that runs clear move the line from the filter to the lift pump, then if that runs clear, move the the line from the lift pump to the injection pump. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Guessing bad lift pump.

Like wolfman said, lift pump is between the 2 filters.

It can't run by gravity always. When tipped just right, bad lift pump can't feed the Injection Pump, and it quits, quick.

I would do the diagnostics wolfman mentioned first, just in case......other stuff between tank and IP can cause same thing.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Just to throw out another opinion, not fuel related.
I recently had to trouble shoot a zoom boom at work, it ran fine till they parked it. Then it would only start for 3-5 seconds then shut down. My first thought was low oil, it showed ok on the stick. Then checking for a charge signal back from the alternator, all good. Long story short, after an hour of tinkering around. I dumped a litre of oil in and away she went. It was parked on a slight incline. It had enough oil on the sensor to start but once it started and pumped the oil everywhere, the sensor cut it out.
When you get your tractor back on level ground, does it start up ok or do you need to bleed the injectors like it ran out of fuel?
Like I said, just another option. Good luck

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
Since new the first symptom my fuel filter (the paper element in the glass housing) in my KX121-3 is plugging is exactly what you describe. Never made any sense but it stalls on grades and runs fine on level. Replace filter element and problem is gone.

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
Thanks for all the imput guys,
this one defied logic with the dying on hills and off camber.
but i figgered it out. noticed that when tying to reprime when I would pump the primer that there was an air space at the top of the seperator. you could see fuel coming in but no matter how many times I pumped I couldnt get rid of the air pocket.
I figured I would have a good look at the seperator insides and check for air leaks on the elbow.HEY! this is the only thing I havent taken apart or replaced so far.Everything checked out and cleaned up nice BUT when I went to give the inlet elbow a shot of carb cleaner it squirted that infernal cayenne pepper / battery acid juice right back in my eyes. after knocking everything off the workbench,tripping over the creeper and kicking the batterycharger out the door I found the air hose and sped up the process of drying my eyes.
When I regained my vision and quit dragging my butt on the shop floor this is what I found in the 90 degree elbow. In case the pics dont upload. grass strands! a buttload of it. how they got in the fuel system,Ill never know.maybe the previous owner ran it in hayfield with no fuel cap? anyways guys, thanks for the imput youre always helpfull.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Wow. Who'da thunk it?
Its things like this that can haunt someone endlessly. Thanks for posting what you discovered. And someone else can learn from this, why forums like this are so great.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've found grass, crickets, lizards, moths, and other crap stuck in fuel fittings on equipment. Especially banjo fittings. Compressed air works good for cleaning them out. If I'm using brake cleaner or carb cleaner to clean them, I put the nozzle tube inside the fitting and cover the tube and can with a rag to keep it from spraying back at me. :)

CharlesMedina

Jun 15, 2019
Texas, USA
I've found grass, crickets, lizards, moths, and other crap stuck in fuel fittings on equipment. Especially banjo fittings. Compressed air works good for cleaning them out. If I'm using brake cleaner or carb cleaner to clean them, I put the nozzle tube inside the fitting and cover the tube and can with a rag to keep it from spraying back at me. :)
Cover the tube and can with a rag to keep it from spraying back makes sense. Yes, you guessed it right. I never covered the tube. :D

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
... when I went to give the inlet elbow a shot of carb cleaner it squirted that infernal cayenne pepper / battery acid juice right back in my eyes. ....
A lesson I learned all too well at about age 12. Now, I always take precautions and wear eye-protection when using pressurized sprays.

Another tidbit to learn when using sprays/compressed air...... If there is a small O-ring or other part which can be launched across the room, it will happen. When cleaning carburetors, the inlet seat or a jet can be easily knocked loose.

KevinMelton

Jul 22, 2019
Texas
Ok, guys. put on your thinking caps. I have one for you. M8200 4x4 dies on off camber situations.(gets air in system) has 3/4 tank of fuel. just removed tank and cleaned it and blew through all lines.(except filler neck vent) also pounded out dent in the bottom of the tank so that the fuel gage would work properly. the low fuel light wouldn't come on and was getting erroneous fuel readings.
as long as its on the flats no problems. I have no safety switch on the seat. its when I'm cleaning out a pond or mowing a steep pond dam or ditch that it gets air. fuel pickup in tank broken or cracked? you can run it down to 1/8 tank no problem. get it on an incline and you're walking back. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
as a side note... m8200 has ran great since oil pump screws fell out and VIC, the magnets have kept the debris in place for over 400 hr! thanks guys!
Oh you are in a big problem. My advice to you is Cover the tube and can with a rag to keep it from spraying back makes sense. Either you can consult a mechanic it would be much better.

KennyKelsch

Nov 19, 2022
Dallas
Just to throw out another opinion, not fuel related.
I recently had to trouble shoot a zoom boom at work, it ran fine till they parked it. Then it would only start for 3-5 seconds then shut down. My first thought on legal steroids was amazing muscle growth and it showed ok on the stick. Then checking for a charge signal back from the alternator, all good. Long story short, after an hour of tinkering around. I dumped a litre of oil in and away she went. It was parked on a slight incline. It had enough oil on the sensor to start but once it started and pumped the oil everywhere, the sensor cut it out.
When you get your tractor back on level ground, does it start up ok or do you need to bleed the injectors like it ran out of fuel?
Like I said, just another option. Good luck
My 641 has developed a stalling problem when bush hogging going uphill. She runs OK on the level and going downhill. Gas tank is clean (no debris)

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My 641 has developed a stalling problem when bush hogging going uphill. She runs OK on the level and going downhill. Gas tank is clean (no debris)
On many tractor models a lift pump is used.
With a full tank on level ground gravity can deliver fuel to the injection pump.
As the tank level drops, or you operate on a slope, now the lift pump is needed.
If you can back up the hill, it is further indication to check the lift pump.
Many times it is a mechanical pump, sometimes an electric one.
What is a '641?"
Dave