L2501 hst and split brakes

raptorfan85

Equipment
L2501, woodland mills wc46 chipper, 60" bolens finish mower, old cordwood saw
May 4, 2019
Richmond NH
I have about 15 hours on my new l2501hst and I'm loving it. One question though, and maybe it's a stupid one... Is it just me or is it impossible to use the split brakes on an hst? This is the only hst I have ever driven. I used to use the split brakes on my old tractor (stick) once in a while, but they were super handy when I needed them. With the hst it's like I need 2 right feet to operate the hydro pedal and the brake at the same time. Am I missing something? Seems like a pretty big oversight to me... Other then that I absolutely love the tractor.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
.. Is it just me or is it impossible to use the split brakes on an hst?

As others have mentioned only way is to have two right legs, or be pretty handy with the cruise lever and tempering whichever brake pedal you want to turn with....

I can however get the HST to whine if I forget and leave the brakes locked on... I got that down, so maybe I can learn to use the brakes with the cruise lever engaged...probably not something to try in close quarters to the neighbors fence however:D

I may try using the brakes again in loose sand/gravel if I have the cruise engaged to keep one wheel from spinning,,hmmmm...

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Pretty much useless on that model with the hst unless you have cruise control.

I use them all the time on my gear drive L when mowing, super handy especially when loaded is off to mow because front end gets really light.

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
That's my only real complaint on my L3901 as well..... Well mostly..... I also don't have cruise control :-(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have about 15 hours on my new l2501hst and I'm loving it. One question though, and maybe it's a stupid one... Is it just me or is it impossible to use the split brakes on an hst? This is the only hst I have ever driven. I used to use the split brakes on my old tractor (stick) once in a while, but they were super handy when I needed them. With the hst it's like I need 2 right feet to operate the hydro pedal and the brake at the same time. Am I missing something? Seems like a pretty big oversight to me... Other then that I absolutely love the tractor.
My B1750HST has both brakes and hydro pedal on the right side, making use of steering brakes just about impossible.

Kubota rectified this on later B series tractors, e.g., 2650 and 3350. I would not have bought my B3350 had they not.

Kubota regional sales manager told me that this was done due to customer complaints.

SDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Wile it does not feel right, I use my right foot on the brake and my left foot on the directional pedal.

Works for me when I need to use one rear brake.

Your mileage may vary...:)

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Right side split brakes on an HST tractor is an expensive parking brake. Kubota needs to fix this, it’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't think I've ever brake steered either of my M's and never the 105X either. With R1 tires brake steering really tears up the ground. I keep my brake pedals interlocked all the time.

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
When I had my old 8n, brake steering was very useful while mowing a field or discing large areas, but with the hst, all I have to do is let off the go pedal. I've gotten used to not having the steering brakes after a few years now

raptorfan85

Equipment
L2501, woodland mills wc46 chipper, 60" bolens finish mower, old cordwood saw
May 4, 2019
Richmond NH
That's pretty disappointing to hear. While I didn't use the steering brakes a lot on my old tractor it was nice when I was pulling a log or something and the front end got light to be able to use the brakes to assist steering. I get that my L Series is an economy tractor but why put something on there that's not even usable?

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
I'm SURE there was a reason they put the hydrostat pedal and the brake pedal on the same side of the tractor........ And I'll be delighted to hear the reason from the designer and engineers........ Then I'll probably turn the water hose on them.... :)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My previous L3410 hst had the hst and brake pedals on the right. If I knew in advance I would be using the split brake I would swivel a little in the seat and use both feet on the same side. Realistically I only did this when I wanted to 180 in a driveway while plowing snow.
My current L4060 has the hst on the right, and brakes on the left which also takes some getting used to (for me).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm SURE there was a reason they put the hydrostat pedal and the brake pedal on the same side of the tractor........ And I'll be delighted to hear the reason from the designer and engineers........ Then I'll probably turn the water hose on them.... :)

Cost.

SDT

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
And here I thought there was going to be a long winded explanation, that involved a lot of 50 cent words...... So disappointing.... ::facepalm::

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I can reach down and use my hand to work the split brakes on my B.

That's how I do it anyway. Usually only time I ever need them is in winter, pushing snow on ice if I have to turn.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I use them frequently when plowing snow (rear blade). Pulling a full plow of heavy snow can cause the rear end tractor to start walking sideways or crabbing. Applying brake to one rear wheel will straighten it right out. Works like a charm.

They've come in handy when I've gotten too close to the side of a ditch as well.

One of the reason's I went with the larger B over the L '01 series.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I can reach down and use my hand to work the split brakes on my B.

That's how I do it anyway. Usually only time I ever need them is in winter, pushing snow on ice if I have to turn.

That reminds me of the first HST I used, an early 70’s Alice, had a traditional left side clutch, right side split brakes, but the HST was right hand operated, it would lock into position, to unlock you squeezed the lever the moved it, worked pretty good,

back then I was used to gear drive , so mostly i drive it like a gear drive with the clutch and brakes and the HST set to a fixed speed, but when cutting grass close to obstacles i grabbed the HST and slowed down. At the time I thought HST was weird, didn’t like it, now I wouldn’t get a gear drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Cost.

SDT
No, it isn't cost. It comes down to the clutch pedal.

An L01 series (excepting the 4701) has a mechanical PTO engagement and requires using the clutch to engage and disengage the PTO. (Older HST tractors also required the clutch pedal for changing HST ranges even while stopped, but that requirement is now gone). So if the clutch is sitting there on the left floorboard, where would you put the split brakes? And even with a gear-drive tractor, the clutch is still left and split brakes are right...but above the foot throttle. So in order to operate the foot brakes you still need to have the hand throttle already set. Not much different than cruise, in my opinion.

Frankly, it begs the question as to why Kubota even bothers with split brakes on HST tractors that don't come standard with cruise control, like the L01 series.

Now, the B01 and B50 series, along with the L4701 and MX series, all come with electric over hydraulic PTO engagement, eliminating the need for a clutch at all...and thereby freeing up the left side for split brakes. The problem with the L01 series is that these are Kubota's most popular models and the price point is very sensitive...there is a lot of competition. So the cost to add EoH PTO might raise the price enough to send a potential customer over to a cut-rate Mahinda, etc.

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
No, it isn't cost. It comes down to the clutch pedal.

An L01 series (excepting the 4701) has a mechanical PTO engagement and requires using the clutch to engage and disengage the PTO. (Older HST tractors also required the clutch pedal for changing HST ranges even while stopped, but that requirement is now gone). So if the clutch is sitting there on the left floorboard, where would you put the split brakes? And even with a gear-drive tractor, the clutch is still left and split brakes are right...but above the foot throttle. So in order to operate the foot brakes you still need to have the hand throttle already set. Not much different than cruise, in my opinion.

Frankly, it begs the question as to why Kubota even bothers with split brakes on HST tractors that don't come standard with cruise control, like the L01 series.

Now, the B01 and B50 series, along with the L4701 and MX series, all come with electric over hydraulic PTO engagement, eliminating the need for a clutch at all...and thereby freeing up the left side for split brakes. The problem with the L01 series is that these are Kubota's most popular models and the price point is very sensitive...there is a lot of competition. So the cost to add EoH PTO might raise the price enough to send a potential customer over to a cut-rate Mahinda, etc.
THAT'S an answer that makes sense! Thanks Troverman! +1
I could have gotten the cruise added at the dealer, but it was an extra 500 to add it I think. Wasn't worth it to me.
They also told me about a hydraulic thumb option on my bh77 when I ordered it a month ago.
It's a dealer conversion from a mechanical thumb, and it was 3k. He laughed and said he'd never sold one, and he didn't REALLY expect me to be the first. Dealer is a good friend of mine. Needless to say, we're still friends and I don't have a hydraulic thumb on my bh77 lol

Before you know where you're going, you must first understand where you've been