What to do with extra flail mower head? For sale?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I recently bought an older Jacobsen flail mower, (like this one, but with a flail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2a85d_z1U) Kubota powered, used. The near zero turn mower maneuverability of the thing is what attracted me. All hydraulically powered, with a 62" flail mower. It came with a additional, spare, wider mower, 78", that, as I understand it, was bought new the same time as the tractor, but never used. I gave the serial number of the tractor to the Jacobsen company asking for any info on the T528D, how old it is, maybe who bought it etc., and am waiting to hear back. I don't need the larger unit, the smaller one is just right for my use. It occurred to me that rather then keep it around just in case something went wrong with the smaller one, I'd be better off selling it cheap.

My mower engine is a 28 HP 3 banger, big enough to provide it's motive power plus run the mower, making me think a engine of around 20 hp or less would be about right to run just the mower. I can envision this thing secured to a universal skid steer type QA FEL mount, so a mid sized tractor could easily pick it up, start the gas engine (or other means of powering it) and then proceed to flail mow. It would be something I'd consider doing myself, but I have no need of it now. I have it listed on Ebay, and am in no hurry to sell it, but thought I'd bring it to the attention of you guys here who are into modifying and fabricating. Though it looks rough, having sat outside for who knows how long, everything is freed up, nothing seized. It's a simple piece of equipment, with readily obtainable parts, built like a piece of farm equipment. The mount bracket for the hydraulic motor could be adapted to fit a small gas engine, or of course the appropriate gas engine. Getting the required RPM correct would be the trick, it may be simpler to have a gas "pony" motor run a hydraulic power pak, and then the hydraulic motor, it would be easy to find out what size and type it was originally specced out for. Of course, a tractor with enough aux hydraulic flow to run it direct would be even simple.

My mower has been worked pretty hard, a quick glance at the cutters/flails shows they could use a sharpening or replacement, I'd use any money from selling this old one to do that, or otherwise fix up the tractor. I'm thinking around $450.00 for it. There is a data plate on the unit, and as this was made for heavy commercial use, golf course etc., I'd assume tracking down how it was originally supposed to be setup would be pretty easy. I'd be interested in any thoughts on what to do with the thing, it'd be a shame to just scrap it, or to let it continue to sit outside. Shipping via Fastenal, my zip is 83245, in case anyone wants to get an idea of cost to ship it. Probably weight 500 lbs.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You'd be silly to scrap it, or sell it (unless you get a lot of money for it). You have all the blades, shackles, spacers, screws, nuts and washers right there for replacing what you're going to wear out eventually. You have enough parts there to last a lifetime. That rear roller would cost a fortune from Jacobsen. If yours gets bent, you can have a shop cut off one end to length required and be back in business.

Flail Master prices for Jacobsen are: blade =.68, shackle = 1.90, spacer = .80, screw = .35, nut = .20, washer =.10 . That's $4 for every station on there!

I'd set it out back on a pallet and use the housing as cover for the parts you might need.

Surely your neighbors won't complain.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree with D2cat, but if you truly wanna sell it, send me some more pictures if you would, That looks like it could work perfectly on my L3450 or Bobcat.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Thanks for that price breakdown D2Cat! My foreseeable use is pretty predictable:eek:n my own place, only. I can't see bending that roller but if I did I'd make another one out of sch. 40 pipe. As for the cutters, the flails, I have yet to get a real good eyeball on them as I will need to hoist the entire machine, or take the mower off, I'm talking about the mower on the tractor currently. It's cutting well enough right now for my needs, my runway and a firebreak around the house, I'm not looking for a lawn type surface. But I'm thinking some judicious use of the 4 inch grinder and some patience (a good winter project) would touch them up plenty good enough. Like a rotary mower, they don't need to be razor sharp, just kinda sharp. Any bearings are readily available locally, same with the one belt, so no need to involve Jorgensen.

I'd hate to butcher up a perfectly good complete mower, and then still have the housing laying around, which would then be worthless. As far as the shackles etc., I don't see wearing them out in this lifetime, the thing just won't get that much use. I for sure will not scrap the entire thing, that was just meant in jest pretty much, but I also won't just keep it on the lower 40 just in case I need a part.

I'll send you some more pictures Wolfman, and I'd meet you half way on the delivery, you start driving from Sandpoint and I start from Inkom, and we leave Fastenal out of it. I can still get high 40's, low 50's MPG in my Prius even towing my light utility trailer. All we would need would be a lumber yard forklift at our meeting place. $500.00, halfway delivery included. That'll give you something to think about! Pictures after I get back from a flying trip into the Frank Church this weekend.