Buying A Single Grey Market Tractor From Japan?

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
Has anyone tried to buy a single tractor from Japan and get is shipped to Canada? I found a couple of Japanese web sites that look like they can do this and shipping to Vancouver seems reasonable. However the Vancouver to Winnipeg ride doubles the price. There is probably some hidden costs involved also.

Is there any dealers in Western Canada that have a selection of grey market tractors for sale? I bought a grey market Yanmar in 1997 in the US, and it seemed like there were lots of grey market tractors for sale locally then. Now I search Canada on kijiji and there isn't much out there.

I'm looking for something that's about 20hp, and I just want to use it to pull a 4' cultivator. I already have a 44 hp JD, but it's a little big to fit between some of my trees.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Has anyone tried to buy a single tractor from Japan and get is shipped to Canada? I found a couple of Japanese web sites that look like they can do this and shipping to Vancouver seems reasonable. However the Vancouver to Winnipeg ride doubles the price. There is probably some hidden costs involved also.

Is there any dealers in Western Canada that have a selection of grey market tractors for sale? I bought a grey market Yanmar in 1997 in the US, and it seemed like there were lots of grey market tractors for sale locally then. Now I search Canada on kijiji and there isn't much out there.

I'm looking for something that's about 20hp, and I just want to use it to pull a 4' cultivator. I already have a 44 hp JD, but it's a little big to fit between some of my trees.
Why a grey?
You can get plenty of non greys that will do the job.

Also I would be very leery of any importers of grey kubota's, kubota and the US government, has clamped down on importers, at least here in the US, not only is it illegal to import a grey kubota, it also will not pass emissions standards so they will impound it upon entry.

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
I'm in Canada so I don't think the Canadian Government has cracked down on them. I would like to buy a 25 year old 20 hp Kubota, I like them better than anything new. The problem is they never come up for sale, and if they do, they are priced pretty high.

I looked at a BX2380, and will probably end up buying one. They kind of look like a garden tractor to me. I like the Japanese tractors with the tall skinny rice tires, and lots of ground clearance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What your explaining is not necessarily a grey, heck I've got one for sale that's not a grey and it's exactly your explaining.

Sounds like what you want is a B6100, B7100 style of tractor. ;)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Yep, there's a guy in Alberta importing used Kubotas too. His pricing is a little less than the usual used market, and the hours on the machines are low. Other than parts, one of the problems is they don't come with loaders. I'd watch the used market for a month or two to get a feel for what is out there and what the pricing is like. Sounds like you have an idea of your needs, so make up a list of the models that suit, then pull the trigger when one comes up for the right price. In BC there is a regular turnover of used Kubota tractors on Craigslist, Kijiji, Townpost, Castanet, etc

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
Yep, there's a guy in Alberta importing used Kubotas too. His pricing is a little less than the usual used market, and the hours on the machines are low. Other than parts, one of the problems is they don't come with loaders. I'd watch the used market for a month or two to get a feel for what is out there and what the pricing is like. Sounds like you have an idea of your needs, so make up a list of the models that suit, then pull the trigger when one comes up for the right price. In BC there is a regular turnover of used Kubota tractors on Craigslist, Kijiji, Townpost, Castanet, etc
Do you have a name for him or a web site?

I’m also not seeing too many grey market tractors with hydrostatic transmissions. It’s not a must for me, but I would prefer if it didn’t have gears. it’s difficult to sell a tractor that isn’t hydrostatic.

A new BX2380 is looking better all the time.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Used to be goodusedtractors.com I think. Site isn't cooperating with me right now - he hasn't got any listings so might be out of stock. Talked to the owner on the phone before buying my L245DT - He knows Kubotas, greymarket and domestic, can tell you which are which, and which parts will work, etc.

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
I ended up buying a new bare B2680. All of the sites that were selling grey market tractors had their pricing in USD. By the time I paid shipping duty etc, it would cost me $10,000 CDN for a 25 year old rusty tractor, no hydrostatic or mid PTO, with 1500 hours on it.

At least with the B2680, I can buy a mid mount mower, loader, and a front snowblower. And it has six years of warranty.

I was going to buy a B2380, but I found a 2018 B2680 for only $300.00 more.

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
I'm in Canada so I don't think the Canadian Government has cracked down on them. I would like to buy a 25 year old 20 hp Kubota, I like them better than anything new. The problem is they never come up for sale, and if they do, they are priced pretty high.

I looked at a BX2380, and will probably end up buying one. They kind of look like a garden tractor to me. I like the Japanese tractors with the tall skinny rice tires, and lots of ground clearance.
You are right. There is no such thing as grey market in Canada. That's a US thing.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
You can save a lot of money buying a grey market tractor.
Unless your country puts a 25% tariff on it like the USA has.
Unless it breaks down and you can't get parts.
Unless it gets caught up in customs, doesn't pass customs after you already paid for it.
Getting it to the country is one thing....then from that port you have to have it shipped to your location.
But if you are determined to do it, find a broker who will work with you...for a fee of course.
Have you checked Alibaba? Ridiculous low prices for equipment of all kind.
Buy at your own risk.