Tach Drive Working Again !

L225Chris

Equipment
L225
Feb 24, 2009
Delaware,Oh
Hello everybody ! First of all i want to say thanks to Vic as he helped me make a repair on my l225 without ever knowing it. At least i hope this is the same Vic.:D I had read at another sight where he had mentioned a repair to someone whose tachometer was not working. Here is the link. http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=kubota&msg=9254 I was able to get mine working again after welding on the small washer and doing some grinding.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello Chris, welcome to the site thank you for registering! Yep, that's the same Vic. Around here he's so handy he's known as Service Department Vic. I'm not so handy so I'll just stick with Mr. K for now.

Glad to hear your Kubota's fixed up! :D

Oklahoma

Equipment
L225, 48bush, 72finish,
Mar 6, 2011
Rome, Georgia
Great post, I just bought a "barnfind" L225, only thing not in perfect condition is the tach. I'll be checking this out in the morning. I'm all for a free fix rather than buying parts.

jay RN

Equipment
B8200
Sep 5, 2011
ct USA
I have a third hand B8200 with the same problem, is the tach drive assembly the same on the B series tractors?

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
How large should the "tab" be if I attempt to do this repair?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
How large should the "tab" be if I attempt to do this repair?
Not so much in width or thickness but height. Ask cause I suspect this is my issue too. By finger I can spin my tach cable and get rise of RPM's on tachometer. Hooked back up tach does not work.

I'll try looking at the tach mechanism with cable removed to see if tab spins tomorrow

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
yep...... same issue. The tab broken is not the one the cable slides over as I thought the explanation was saying. It is one deeper inside that mates with a shaft the engine spins.

So.... open to suggestion.

1. I weld. sorta poorly BUTTTT; I no longer have a 220v plug to attach my welder too.

2. still need info on size of tab as pointed out in last post in case I find a local welder willing to tackle this

3. Can one cover this area on the engine with make shift blank plate and use the tractor till this is solved. As mentioned earlier there is no oil to this area but do not know if the shaft protruding into the area can come loose without rest of components of tach gear drive installed and cause issues

update: did this. Found that a single serving vegetable can's pull tab top fits right between the bolts. Tin-Cans.jpg Using removed nuts and their washers to pinch this down fits just perfect. Not water tight but maybe fine for now. Yet before running the tractor I would like to know more about the potential for a shaft that Tach gears mate too being able to wobble and cause more problems.

4. This part is small.... anyone who has done this weld repair before willing to do the one off my L225? I can just pop it in a box and put her in the mail along with some beer money with it? :D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Coach, can you post a pic of your tach controller. I may have done a repair similar on my new one. Need to see what your working with to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Coach, can you post a pic of your tach controller. I may have done a repair similar on my new one. Need to see what your working with to be sure

Took a dozen or so and threw out much of them cause my camera SUKSSS as much as a broken Tach:p Attached is best I can do

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Found a picture that shows one of the units that has a head that goes into the shaft (part that breaks off) and it was a thick blunt screwdriver end*.... while another is more of a typical screwdriver end which is more what mine appears to have been.

I can possibly make a wax impression of the inside of where this whole unit slides in. Maybe this would give an impression of the back side of the camshaft where this slips into?

*http://www.tracpartz.com/product/hour-meter-drive-unit-kubota/

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
3/8" copper water line. Sleeve the end using some high temp high strengh loctite. Crimp the end flat in a vice. Then cut end to the right depth. Soldier or braze the end that contacts the round portion. Let set for 24 hours for loctite to cure :D mine was too thin and narrow. Local machine shop did that fix minus the brazing or soldiering on mine. Been working great for the pasg year without any issue :D

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
3/8" copper water line. Sleeve the end using some high temp high strengh loctite. Crimp the end flat in a vice. Then cut end to the right depth. Soldier or braze the end that contacts the round portion. Let set for 24 hours for loctite to cure :D mine was too thin and narrow. Local machine shop did that fix minus the brazing or soldiering on mine. Been working great for the pasg year without any issue :D
Thanx.. will do that or slot it and make a key that slides into the slot. End of key then machined to be portion that goes into shaft. Pin thru whole thing to hold key in place.

Another thought was to see if end of a multi bit screw driver (or a socket) can be attached to the thing and then glue in a screw driver bit to that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We thought about having something machined, but it would have been paper thin where it mated to the slot.

Some of the old ones used a plastic piece on the end of the shaft.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
We thought about having something machined, but it would have been paper thin where it mated to the slot.

Some of the old ones used a plastic piece on the end of the shaft.

The key idea would be to have the key pretty much the same width and thickness as what is needed to fit into the slot on the end of the shaft. Thus no real machining needed. Just a sweep of a file maybe. This is how another user in here did his fix. He did not call it a key though.

So the question remains

1. CAN I DRIVE THIS with the hour meter removed and blanking plate installed...... or will it cause the shaft it mates with to push outward?

2. need measurements off a working gear shaft so know what size tab I'm trying to create on this one. Anyone got an L225 fuel shaft or hour/tach gear laying around?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thanks again to those who have offered ideas on how to go about the repair... now just need measurements proceed.

Have done some extensive searching to try to find out if L225 hour/tach drive unit is used on any other tractors. Searching the internet by part number, by tractor model and engine model all come up with nothing but 130$ part listing with part # but no info on any tractor models it fits. Some others drive units show up that do not list the L225 but not other way around.

Had hoped my question would not be limited to L225 owners but guess I can only now ask them.

Anyone willing to hassle with removing your working hour/tach drive gear (30min to hour?) to take pictures and measurements so myself and others who find this thread in the future have good information to fabricate a repair with?

I can sends some beer money or???

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
On the B8200HSD how do you get the tach drive out? Two of the 4 studs holding it on also go through a cast water pipe so it is trapped.

Do I have to move the radiator to get to it? Do I have to drain the radiator?
For other's .. you may not have to remove your whole unit to do this repair. On mine.... and your's may be the same their are two or three large brass caps. One is perpendicular to the other. remove one that runs inline with engine and see if you can remove the gear this way by pulling it out. This is the one that will have broken end. It may not come out with removing the gear under the other cap (their may be cap on both ends of this one but you only need to remove one. This cap is what the tach cable attaches too; least on mine) Found that mine removed easy while still on tractor. Yours may as well.

Once you get the right gear out you can see if the tab is broken from the end.

Yes it is a bit of a pain in the arse to remove these caps while still on the tractor but you have to do it rather you remove the whole unit off the tractor or not, but you don't have to remove the whole unit for this task. Don't loose the washers and watch how the come off.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Got more detail from Vic on this repair

Service Dept. Vic said:
Ive used a 3/8 inch flat washer cut in half and tack welded it to the stub of the tach drive unit with enough weld that it fills the half circle void in the flat washer.

Shivers

Equipment
L225
Oct 5, 2019
La Quinta, CA, USA
I read your fix on another site. I didn't know that the tach drive needs servicing to keep them lubed. Good to know. Thanks for the info; Shivers

Glad you found me! Those damn Kubota tach drive assemblies always fail because they require their own oil! They are not splash lubricated up there in that little corner of the engine!

Remove the fill plug, and fill the unit with some engine oil. When they seize, and they do seize quite often, the drive tab breaks off where it engages to the timing gear, resulting in the tach cable being no longer driven. Been there, done that!

weathergeek27

Equipment
B6100, L245, K-348-7 mower deck
Apr 13, 2016
US
Hopefully someone who has experience with the tachometer controller will see this. I have a Kubota L245DT with a tachometer that doesn't work. I have narrowed it down to the controller that doesn't spin. So far I haven't been able to find a replacement part. I think I have seen posts where the controller can be repaired. The shaft off of the engine still spins freely just not the slotted screwdriver like piece that the tachometer cable slides onto. If I am to attempt a repair, I first need to know how the controller is disassembled. I don't see any obvious way to do it. I seems as if the piece that the tachometer cable attaches to will unscrew off the controller housing but I don't see a way to do this and I think grabbing ahold of the threaded area with a pair of vice-grips is probably a mistake. The shaft that comes off the engine looks as if it might be pressed in. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments