How to change glow plugs

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
They're somewhere on the head. They should look like small posts sticking up with thumbscrews on top of a piece of bent uninsulated wire between each one. Pop the thumbscrews off and then take a wrench to the hex at the bottom of the plug and pop em off just like spark plugs.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Could be. They could look different on that model but I know quite a few use the same style plug and I don't see why they'd change them. Here's a picture of the type I'm familiar with. You can see the thumbscrew nut thingy I was talking about on the left threaded onto the glow plug's terminal.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You have to be careful- they can be stuck pretty tight, and the last thing you want to do is break one off. When you put the new ones in, coat the threads with anti-sieze so that the next time, they will come out easier.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Nothing on the head that looks like the picture but along one side - same side as fuel lines - there are three "plug like things" connected by what I initially assumed was thin pipe but is more likely wire.
Guess it would be smart to buy the new ones to get a sense of how to get old off.
Is there a way to test (aside from indicator light) if its the plugs before I buy?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Sure, it's easiest with a multimeter. The resistance across the plugs should be in the neighborhood of 5 ohms, if it's infinity then the plug is dead. Though occasionally you'll see one that reads normal cold but goes open when it heats up. You can also hook them up to a battery (one at a time should be fine) and see if they get hot.

Just make sure you're not mistaking the plugs for the injectors. Each injector has steel tubing running back to the injection pump on the right (from the seat) side of the engine as well as rubber tubing running to the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Went out to take picture to ensure its the glow plugs I am looking at. It is for sure. So will go about testing, hopefully tomorrow.
Sure appreciate the help.