Another Newly Registered member

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
About Kubota B1550 HST

I've enjoyed reading through other peoples problems and the good repair advice given here.

My repair question is: How difficult is it to replace the rear PTO parts on the B1550?

This is the situation. I made a big mistake yesterday of not setting the raise stop on the rear lift while I had a small PTO driven tiller mounted. The tiller is not supposed to be raised more than 35 degrees while the tiller is engaged. When I got to the end of my first row, I lifted it too high and the tractor felt like it was shaking apart. That was due to the two universal joints not being able to completely flex. Hydraulic fluid started leaking out around the seal and was due, I think, to the PTO shaft being pulled down by the weight of the tiller drive shaft. When I removed the tiller drive shaft, I could feel the PTO was very loose and flopped around. I'm sure that I can get into the case but don't know what to expect.

I have the Workshop Manual for the tractor ( all 2 and a half inches thick), but there is no reference to the rear PTO except how to take it out. No diagrams, etc.

I've replaced the rear PTO seal a couple of times so I'm not afraid to get in there (my father was a small engine mechanic) and get into the guts of it.

Any advise?

Doug Simmons

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Re: Newly Registered member - PTO repair

Well, On Thursday I took apart the PTO and found that the bearings were indeed toasted. They literally rattled. Luckily the case was not damaged. Also both bushings had burned grooves in them. I ordered all the parts and another seal. I was planning to take pictures while I had it apart, but.... The parts came in on Friday and yesterday it was raining so I thought that would be a good time to put it back together. I found an assembly diagram in the Kubota Service manual under transmission assembly so started the task. [by the way, if anyone needs the diagram, I will send a copy upon request] Things were going so smoothly and easy that I forgot to take pictures of the assembly while it was apart. I wish I had the pictures for my own reference if I ever have to go back in again.

It was great having things go right without the problems I usually have with a repair job. I've not refilled the hydraulic system in order to try out the repair, but the shaft is rock solid so I'm sure it's ready to go.

By the way, every drop of hydro fluid will leak out when the rear case is opened (don't ask how I know!:().

Thanks for your information which was right on! Setting the up lift stop will be the first thing I'll do when attaching the tiller from now on. I still love the tiller though!

Doug

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey Doc, sounds like you've got everything sorted. Thank you for coming back on the forum and letting us know what worked and what didn't - helps other people reading weeks, months or centuries from now who might have similar problems. :D

zrider350

Equipment
L2350
May 26, 2010
Humble, TX
I am new to this forum and to the world of tractors so please excuse my ignorance. I have a similar problem that was stated here so I thought I would ask the question in this post. I have an L2350 and the inside of my lift arms are attached inside of my PTO shield. The pins came out while I was doing some brush hogging and the arm became free and got wedged in the shield and the pto shaft. Oil immediately started gushing out from the pto. I obviously need to bolt those arms on and not use removable pins. I found a replacement shaft and bearing case online so I figure I will purchase that for the replacement. Today I drained all my hydraulic fluid and opened up the unit and the force bent the PTO shaft in addition to sheering the bearing case. The bearings also are damaged. My question is how can I remove this shaft from the transmission? There is a rear drain plug I used to drain the fluid from the rear side of the reservoir and that can be removed as kind of an inspection plate. I remove that to get a better look at what the PTO shaft was attached to. It appears to be seated in some bearing inside the transmission case but I cannot see what I need to do to remove it. I didn't try to put too much force into it as I didn't want to mess anything else up. It looks like I could get a better look at what is going on in there if I removed my rear left wheel and opened up the differential but I didn't want to do that if it wasn't necessary. Any advice on how to remove the PTO shaft would be greatly appreciated. This forum is really great so I suspect I will be spending quite a bit of time on here.