My neighbor has a zero turn that won't mow this

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
yeah id bushhog it down as low as possible...

then hit it with my Hustler at about the 1" mark...

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Roundup "may" be a carcinogen, or it may not. Lawyer firms will happily sue them. It's a chemical, be careful, try not to get too much on you or breathe it in too much. Common sense.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I know is some states johnson grass is fertilized, baled and sold. So I looked up buying seed.

I need to plant a few acres down below the barn where nobody can see, harvest the seed and sell it, feed the leaves to the cattle. 50# sells for $160.

https://mbsseed.com/johnsongrass-50-lb-bag.html
Cattle love it and it bales nicely in rounds. Unlike alfalfa, no worry about shatter if it's real dry (under 10% RM). Have one field that is 90% Johnson grass. I cut it early fall and then chop it and let the plant matter fertilize it for the next spring. I do an interem fertilizer app with 46 after the first cut, just a light application. Johnson grass is also really conducive to a foliar application of liquid nitrogen sprayed on in the evening. I don't spray all that often but when it's right (wind wise) I do.

Don't have to drill it in, a surface application of the seed followed by a drag mat will do it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Roundup "may" be a carcinogen, or it may not. Lawyer firms will happily sue them. It's a chemical, be careful, try not to get too much on you or breathe it in too much. Common sense.
Problem is, today, people lack common sense. The other issue is, Roundup is sold in box stores and people buy it and never read the label and health warnings.

I tend to use 2-4-D mostly because it's a selective herbicide where as Roundup isn't.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I know here in Texas Johnson grass is not the favorite hay stock. If it freezes (not often here) it supposedly creates some poison (arsenic?) and cattle’s four stomachs can get enough of it out that it is bad/deadly to them.

I just hate the way it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I know here in Texas Johnson grass is not the favorite hay stock. If it freezes (not often here) it supposedly creates some poison (arsenic?) and cattle***8217;s four stomachs can get enough of it out that it is bad/deadly to them.

I just hate the way it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hate the way anything green and grassy looks until it's rolled up and on the trailers leaving......:)

I've never cut it after a frost. I have alfalfa and timothy however.