Newbie 1st tractor.

Kevin3427

Equipment
L245 DT
Oct 23, 2014
Billings Montana
So I purchased a 1981 L245DT Kubota for $1500.00.
The 4wd is out, the lever feels like it is not engaging anything. I was told before it went out they had to stand on the lever. Engine seems to run fine but has a pretty bad oil leak up front. Needs tires and the sheet metal is rough. It has a FEL on it and the hydraulics seem weak. Also comes with a Kubota tiller, mower (rough shape) and a homemade rear blade.

Let me know how good/bad I did!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Kevin,

I have a friend with two hot-rods. He has spent thousands upgrading and fiddling with those things. And all he can do is drive them!

With a tractor, when you get it all up to speed, you can actually do stuff with the thing! And you will have way more fun than he has in his "showboats."

You got a great start. Take care of the big stuff. In the down season, work on the little stuff. In a couple of years, you'll have a nice reliable machine that was saved because you took the time to do what was needed. Good for you.

Oh, and SEND US LOTS OF PICTURES!!! We want to see the process! It helps other people too. :)

Last edited:

Harvey9

Equipment
BX 1850 with loader, mower and back blade.
Jun 12, 2013
Hantsport, Nova Scotia
I agree you got a great deal, the implements alone are worth what you paid. As suggested, get the manuals. It will take time and money put you'll have a fine tractor.

Harvey

Kevin3427

Equipment
L245 DT
Oct 23, 2014
Billings Montana
Kevin,

I have a friend with two hot-rods. He has spent thousands upgrading and fiddling with those things. And all he can do is drive them!

With a tractor, when you get it all up to speed, you can actually do stuff with the thing! And you won't have near as much in it as he has in his "showboats."

You got a great start. Take care of the big stuff. In the down season, work on the little stuff. In a couple of years, you'll have a nice reliable machine that was saved because you took the time to do what was needed. Good for you.

Oh, and SEND US LOTS OF PICTURES!!! We want to see the process! It helps other people too. :)
I will bring it home next week. I will post pictures as the project unfolds.

Kevin3427

Equipment
L245 DT
Oct 23, 2014
Billings Montana
I agree you got a great deal, the implements alone are worth what you paid. As suggested, get the manuals. It will take time and money put you'll have a fine tractor.

Harvey
The reason for the good deal is I partially inherited this tractor. I have three brothers and they gave me a good deal. My grandfather bought it new and I remember it being the first tractor I drove by myself. My father passed last year. Looking and reading on this forum got the wheels turning in my head. I would like to fix it up but I am afraid it will be costly. This machine saved our bacon as my father had sixty project cars, motors, heavy stuff that we had to move and without the Kubota we would have had a hard time.

Thanks to all for the reply's. I hope someone chimes in on my 4wd issue. I think that and the leak are the first to tackle.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
All the more reason to do it: For Grandpa. The grand kids will have memories just like you do.

Shouldn't cost too much, even if you have to have a couple parts fabricated at a machine shop.

And the pictures will be for you as much as us.